Harris v. Trump Debate Thread | DEBATE DISCUSSION THREAD

What so many Republicans fail to comprehend is, that the only way to get a sane and responsible GOP back is if Kamala Harris wins.

If Trump wins, your party is officially the Trump Party (and it’s like 98% there as it stands). Apparently you are fine never voting for president ever again.

It's not even worth using one because he's literally said the same exact things for years now. The bingo card will fill up in five minutes.
Eh...my GF and I make it a game where the winner gets his or her say as to what will happen during our staycation sexy time. So it's WELL worth it when you have those kinds of stakes on the line

I want to watch it, but I'm scared to watch it.

I'll get so pissed off at drumps constant lies, I'll want to break the TV.

Hopefully Harris uses the phrase: "You are lying" quite often tonight.

I'm not voting for Trump. But if he wins, he is probably looking at (if he's lucky) a seat or two margin in the senate and a very thin house majority and a good chance for neither, it's just not the end of the world in my opinion.
"it's just not the end of the world in my opinion."

That wasn't true for a lot of people last time around. trump literally cost lives with his handling of covid.

^ "But I can't vote for either in good conscience."

This is what I just can't reconcile intellectually or emotionally. One candidate has made a mockery of the office, stomped on the traditions like the peaceful transfer of power, and is effectively a joke to over half our citizens and most of the world. The other may propose policies you don't agree with.

It is NOT enough to not vote for either. A message needs to be sent to the GOP and to the world that as a country, we reject the kind of "politics" that MAGA has polluted the country with for the last 8 years. A vote AGAINST Trump isn't necessarily the same as a vote for Harris, even if it has the same effect.
That is the hardest question to answer for me as to why folks support Trump.

While I'm registered unaffiliated, I recognize that at this point I lean Dem. (I would say that's more due to the rightward lurch of the Pubs in the last 15 years, but that's not really important.)

But if the Dems were running a liberal version of Trump - someone who was an extremist, who tried to overthrow the peaceful transfer of power, who used the office of POTUS largely for their personal gain, and who has shown no respect for the institutions of government nor democracy - I would have no problem voting for a Pub for President - certainly someone like Mitt Romney and very likely even someone like Nikki Haley or Chris Christie.

And it's not like anyone paying a minimum of attention should not know who or what Trump is at this point. It's clear who he is and what he wants to do. The only understanding I can take from it is that folks prefer a fascist who threatens the integrity of our government to a slightly-left-of-center Dem.

While I'm registered unaffiliated, I recognize that at this point I lean Dem. (I would say that's more due to the rightward lurch of the Pubs in the last 15 years, but that's not really important.)

But if the Dems were running a liberal version of Trump - someone who was an extremist, who tried to overthrow the peaceful transfer of power, who used the office of POTUS largely for their personal gain, and who has shown no respect for the institutions of government nor democracy - I would have no problem voting for a Pub for President - certainly someone like Mitt Romney and very likely even someone like Nikki Haley or Chris Christie.

And it's not like anyone paying a minimum of attention should not know who or what Trump is at this point. It's clear who he is and what he wants to do. The only understanding I can take from it is that folks prefer a fascist who threatens the integrity of our government to a slightly-left-of-center Dem.
We are a deeply flawed populace. America lost her way.

I want to watch it, but I'm scared to watch it.

I'll get so pissed off at drumps constant lies, I'll want to break the TV.

I can’t watch it because the unending stream of lies, and knowing hundreds of millions lap it up, makes me so misanthropic I yearn to press the nuclear holocaust button.

Maybe. I kind of like the approach that Bill and Barack were suggesting at the convention. Focus on the "I"s, not the lies. Point out all his whining, and his self-obsessions. "Liar" is an old attack and it doesn't seem to work very well. "Weird" has apparently worked better, and I think maybe "whiner" is more along those lines.

Man, the hyperbole on this thread. In the end, Harris or Trump, it won't matter that much. If it's Trump (which it won't be, I maintain Harris will win with an electoral map similar to Biden's 2020 victory) a Democrat will almost assuredly win in 2028. If it's Harris, a Republican will have a good shot to win in 2028. As I've mentioned previously, if there is a race where I don't like the choices, I am writing in who i want in that office. I'll no longer be forced to vote for bad candidates. I also don't understand so many people getting so angry over politics, people should vote, and should advocate for issues and policies they agree with, but if your candidates lose, no reason for a three year old tantrum, just keep advocating and maybe you'll win next time. The sky is falling crap is so exhausting, it happens every election and in the end, it's all ok. My candidates and policy preferences don't always win and sometimes they do, and that's ok. I am not bothered that there are people out there that do not agree with me politically.
Spoken like a true Trumper.

I'm going to a baseball game. I will catch the highlights/lowlights later.

I also don't understand so many people getting so angry over politics.

Seriously?

When the person elected and their party can take away one's right to marry the one they love or to get appropriate medical care?
When the person elected and their party can take away protections and regulations to protect?
It's because they do actually have the power to change all of our lives, if we allow a crazy moon bat that is willing to let small fringe groups like the Heritage Foundation guild them in ways that could destroy our democracy and move us toward a theocracy?

I disagree that he would have the full support of the Supreme Court. And I do think there will be an adequate check in a Trump presidency. I feel the same about a Harris presidency, would be plenty of checks. I prefer neither but I realize it's going to be one of them. But I can't vote for either in good conscience. But I know people voting for both, and I understand their reasoning.
He pretty much already has the Supreme court and could add more Justices if elected.

Where are the checks if he has the Senate and the House?

I can't understand anyone's reasoning for voting for a convicted felon, rapist, narcissist, senile old man who shits himself.

This is a bullshit argument. I know a 50 year long empirical study that suggests that as the pot gets stronger, the less gets smoked. Getting too stoned and falling asleep in the corner is real. That study suggest that the same person who would smoke an ounce of pot 4-5 days in 1970 would seldom smoked more than 2-3 grams of today's current stuff.

May be inaccurate, I have no idea. That was his observation that something had changed with that crowd.

I think a portion of the reason people have the attitude that EhausSouth has (that is, equivocating between an actual fascist and a slight left of center Dem) is due to the cultural hegemony created when media is entirely captured by private interests.

If we wind up living under a Trump dictatorship, some people will be shocked by how many media and business leaders will line up behind him. But that’s how it’s worked in every fascist regime up to this point.

Back