Harris v. Trump Debate Thread | DEBATE DISCUSSION THREAD

What's his face who portrayed Trump in debate prep for Harris did it so method that he even slathered himself up in self-tanner to get an orange appearance.

Last edited:
After debate polls reveal Trump voters were about twice as likely as Harris supporters to say it at least made them “reconsider” their voting for Trump. The CNN poll showed Harris winning the debate 63 percent to 37 percent among debate-watchers, while the YouGov poll showed her winning 54-31 among registered voters who watched at least some of the debate, with 14 percent unsure. (Trump has cited his own improbably wide margins in some unscientific online polls — posting a series of them on Truth Social — but those polls don’t reflect the actual electorate.)

However, though it’s worth noting that a strong debate doesn’t always necessarily translate into a White House victory.
The biggest margins:
  • Biden’s 60-28 win in his first 2020 debate against Trump, when Trump was widely panned for constantly interrupting and strained to avoid repudiating white supremacists.
  • Hillary Clinton’s 62-27 win over Trump in the first debate of 2016.
  • Mitt Romney’s 67-25 win over then-President Barack Obama in the first debate of 2012.

After debate polls reveal Trump voters were about twice as likely as Harris supporters to say it at least made them “reconsider” their voting for Trump. The CNN poll showed Harris winning the debate 63 percent to 37 percent among debate-watchers, while the YouGov poll showed her winning 54-31 among registered voters who watched at least some of the debate, with 14 percent unsure. (Trump has cited his own improbably wide margins in some unscientific online polls — posting a series of them on Truth Social — but those polls don’t reflect the actual electorate.)

However, though it’s worth noting that a strong debate doesn’t always necessarily translate into a White House victory.
The biggest margins:
  • Biden’s 60-28 win in his first 2020 debate against Trump, when Trump was widely panned for constantly interrupting and strained to avoid repudiating white supremacists.
  • Hillary Clinton’s 62-27 win over Trump in the first debate of 2016.
  • Mitt Romney’s 67-25 win over then-President Barack Obama in the first debate of 2012.
Wow. How far we have fallen. When you look at who people thought won those past debates mentioned, the loser had between 25-28% of the viewers believe they won the debate. This most recent debate was the most lopsided I have seen and Trump’s performance was the worst I have seen (even compared to his prior debate performances) and he got as many as 37% of the viewers to believe he won.

Not sure why everyone is trying to call out Ehouse for writing in Nikki Haley. Actually, I think I do know. Though only one vote he probably represents a lot more people than we think. My guess is that everyone wants him to vote for Harris, as one of the only two viable options.

I also have a very strong hunch that if he were to vote for one on the ticket, it would most certainly be Trump.

In the big scheme of things, someone if forced to choose between the two would vote Trump, a write in of Nikki is far better. That is one less vote for Trump. Not an extra one for Harris, but one less for Trump.

Why try to encourage him to vote for Trump? Makes no sense to me. You go vote for Nikki, Ehouse!
Totally disagree. If, in this particular example, you are a Republican/Conservative, that is totally fed up w your party, the most logical thing to do to send a message to your party would be to vote for the other party until your party gets their act back together.

Voting for someone that can’t win isn’t accomplishing anything.

I’m guessing asking a Pub who doesn’t like Trump to vote for Harris, is kinda like asking a UNC fan to root for NC State in the national championship game against Duke.

I’m guessing asking a Pub who doesn’t like Trump to vote for Harris, is kinda like asking a UNC fan to root for NC State in the national championship game against Duke.
That’s a really good analogy. Hadn’t thought of it that way but that’s a good one.

I will say that for me personally, and I recognize I am likely in a very small minority of Carolina fans who would feel this way, but I would absolutely, positively pull for Duke in that scenario, just like I was pulling for them when they played NC State in the NCAA tournament this past year. I cannot even put into words fit for print how much I hate NC State.

That’s a really good analogy. Hadn’t thought of it that way but that’s a good one.

I will say that for me personally, and I recognize I am likely in a very small minority of Carolina fans who would feel this way, but I would absolutely, positively pull for Duke in that scenario, just like I was pulling for them when they played NC State in the NCAA tournament this past year. I cannot even put into words fit for print how much I hate NC State.
I’m also guessing the UNC fans 40+ feel the same way, but under 40 the opposite.

Wow. How far we have fallen. When you look at who people thought won those past debates mentioned, the loser had between 25-28% of the viewers believe they won the debate. This most recent debate was the most lopsided I have seen and Trump’s performance was the worst I have seen (even compared to his prior debate performances) and he got as many as 37% of the viewers to believe he won.

These days, it seems that Democrats will vote for Democrats, and Republicans will vote for Republicans, no matter what happens during the election cycle. This "calcification" of American politics is explored in a New York Times essay by Ezra Klein, who draws from the work of political scientists John Sides, Chris Tausanovitch, and Lynn Vavreck in their new book. Klein points to a stat he finds "shocking"—in 1952, 50% of voters saw a big difference between the two parties, but that figure had risen to 90% by 2020. Decades ago, then, if voters were disillusioned by a particular candidate in their own party, they might consider voting for a rival because the parties weren't seen as so fundamentally different. These days, there's little chance of that.

I would guess a fair number of those 37% didnt watch, either.

dook** over ncst is a no brainer. My wish is that ncst never wins another game/match in any sport for the next 100 years.

Back