Harris v. Trump Debate Thread | Harris challenges Trump to 2nd Debate on 10/23 on CNN.

Going to be honest, I feel the weight of media expectation and scrutiny is going to be too much for Kamala. Anything short of throwing a shutout no-hitter will be seen as failure with every misstep being magnified to ludicrous levels because the media will need something to talk about and they long ago ran out of the ability to be shock or even interested in Trump's behavior.
The media wants trump. Trump in office gives them way more stuff to talk about

I have an objection to the thread title. It plays into the "politics is a game where I cheer on my team" narrative, which I think is tone deaf due to how consequential this election is . Maybe we change the thread title?
Re: Thread title. I started this thread a month ago… with a simple title.
Mods must have added to the title recently, I guess because today is the day. I’m cool with it, but I’ll be glad to go back and switch it up if folks think that needs to happen. Just let me know how you’d like it to read.

What would happen during a presidential debate between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris if Trump were to raise his hand and say, "Excuse me, ladies and gentlemen, I must take brief leave backstage, as I have made stool in my trousers"?

ChatGPT said:​

If Donald Trump were to say something like that during a presidential debate with Kamala Harris, it would undoubtedly cause a significant and immediate reaction from the audience, moderators, and viewers. Here’s what might happen:

1. Shock and Laughter: The initial reaction would likely be a mix of shock, confusion, and nervous laughter from the audience. Such a statement would be completely unexpected and out of the ordinary for a debate setting.
  2. Media Frenzy: The media would likely explode with coverage, analyzing and replaying the moment repeatedly. It would dominate headlines, social media, and talk shows, becoming an instant viral sensation.
  3. Kamala Harris’s Response: Kamala Harris might respond with a mix of composure and perhaps some humor, trying to bring the debate back on track while also acknowledging the absurdity of the moment. How she reacts could either be a quick one-liner or an attempt to pivot back to the issues being discussed.
  4. Impact on the Debate: The debate itself would be disrupted, at least temporarily. The moderators would need to manage the situation, possibly going to a commercial break to allow Trump to leave the stage and return.
  5. Public Perception: Such an incident could significantly impact public perception of Trump, with some seeing it as a moment of vulnerability or weakness, while others might view it as a bizarre but humanizing event.
Overall, it would be a memorable and unprecedented moment in political history, likely overshadowing much of the substantive discussion that might have occurred during the debate.

You said:​

If I were Harris, I would do an impression of Beavis saying "POOP!"

ChatGPT said:​

That would be a bold and hilarious move! If Kamala Harris were to channel Beavis and shout "POOP!" in response to such an unexpected moment, it would probably leave the audience in stitches.

Her playful and comedic reaction could make her seem more relatable to younger voters and anyone familiar with the classic show Beavis and Butt-Head. It would definitely be a memorable way to handle the situation, and it might even become a viral moment, adding a bit of levity to the debate and showing off her sense of humor.

The media wants trump. Trump in office gives them way more stuff to talk about
Specifically the legacy media that is controlled by literal billionaires in some cases and corporate interests in most others.

Not only does it give them more to talk about, but their bosses would get a tax cut under Trump.

I had my roof replaced in March. All the men who actually removed the old roof and put on the new one were of Hispanic descent. I don’t know about their immigration status and I don’t really care. A house down the street is getting a new roof now. Same ethnic makeup of the workers installing their roof as did mine. Just assume (1) they are all illegal (and that is representative of most roofing companies ), and (2) trump is elected (God forbid) and he implements his plan to deport millions of illegal immigrants. My question would then be who the fuck is going to install roofs? This is just one example of the difficult and dangerous jobs immigrants to this country do that no one else is willing to do. Go into any distribution center you want and look at the ethnic and racial make up of its workforce. Implementing trumps deportation plan would devastate our economy.

Listen, I know that we need more labor in this economy. However, the reason that all the roofing crews are Hispanic is because they demand less wages and lower outlays for overhead the contractor. Is that really a good thing?

Listen, I know that we need more labor in this economy. However, the reason that all the roofing crews are Hispanic is because they demand less wages and lower outlays for overhead the contractor. Is that really a good thing?
Its good for the consumer and the contractor . But it is not " good " overall to have workers get crap wages..........anywhere in the economy...Now if after a couple years they move on to a better paying job and leave room for the " next immigrant " Maybe that works???

Going to be honest, I feel the weight of media expectation and scrutiny is going to be too much for Kamala. Anything short of throwing a shutout no-hitter will be seen as failure with every misstep being magnified to ludicrous levels because the media will need something to talk about and they long ago ran out of the ability to be shock or even interested in Trump's behavior.
This is my fear too. Any slight gaffe will be blown way out of proportion and Trump's blatant lies will be ignored or given barely any mention.

This is my fear too. Any slight gaffe will be blown way out of proportion and Trump's blatant lies will be ignored or given barely any mention.
Back when I was programming, I intentionally built "issues" into my prototype models to show to the client. The client always had objections. I think some of them felt that they had a moral duty to harass the programmers. Thus, if my code was perfect, they'd ask for something pie in the sky that would be hard and make my life hell. On the other hand, if I just didn't label a dialogue box, or used an ungainly set of buttons instead of a drop down list, they would complain about that and I'd have it "fixed" in a day and a half (in reality I'd have it fixed in an hour and then I'd finally get some time off).

So Kamala should use the same strategy. Intentionally make some trivial mistake that will get the right-wingers riled up. Refer to Eric as Trump's nephew. Say that Obama ran against Mitt Romney in 2008. Say that the Supreme Court overturned the Chevron doctrine in a case called Corner Post (which was a related but separate administrative law decision issued about the same time). Something that nobody would care about except the right-wing bullies.

Back when I was programming, I intentionally built "issues" into my prototype models to show to the client. The client always had objections. I think some of them felt that they had a moral duty to harass the programmers. Thus, if my code was perfect, they'd ask for something pie in the sky that would be hard and make my life hell. On the other hand, if I just didn't label a dialogue box, or used an ungainly set of buttons instead of a drop down list, they would complain about that and I'd have it "fixed" in a day and a half (in reality I'd have it fixed in an hour and then I'd finally get some time off).

So Kamala should use the same strategy. Intentionally make some trivial mistake that will get the right-wingers riled up. Refer to Eric as Trump's nephew. Say that Obama ran against Mitt Romney in 2008. Say that the Supreme Court overturned the Chevron doctrine in a case called Corner Post (which was a related but separate administrative law decision issued about the same time). Something that nobody would care about except the right-wing bullies.
That is an interesting and perhaps helpful strategy.

As I think about it, maybe she should come out and very early in the debate laugh. Then let all the right wing trolls go bonkers with their memes about her insane laugh. Let Trump later do posts about her laugh, etc.

Then she can say, "yes, like most people I laugh. So? This election is about..." Try to show how idiotic it is to focus on her laugh. Almost like she's trolling the trolls (she sort of did this in wearing the tan suit).

Yeah, could you imagine how much a new roof would cost if the work weren’t done by low-wage immigrants?

As I think about it, maybe she should come out and very early in the debate laugh. Then let all the right wing trolls go bonkers with their memes about her insane laugh. Let Trump later do posts about her laugh, etc.

Then she can say, "yes, like most people I laugh. So? This election is about..." Try to show how idiotic it is to focus on her laugh. Almost like she's trolling the trolls (she sort of did this in wearing the tan suit).
If I was advising her, I'd say to take this one step further. Now, there is no good reason why anyone would want me as their political advisor, but I suppose I'm OK at debates. Anyway:

She should make an obvious mistake about an issue to Trump's detriment. For instance, say something like "he's been convicted of 44 felonies." Trump won't be able to contain himself and he will correct her to 34. Then Kamala could say, "I know how many felonies it is. I said 44 to manipulate you into bragging about your 34 convictions on national TV. You are so weak, so easy to manipulate. Other foreign leaders know this, which is why they are salivating at the prospect of you winning so they can get back to taking advantage of the US."

There are a number of possibilities. When you told Jeb Bush about pussy grabbing. A jury found you liable for sexually assaulting Jean E Carroll. Etc, etc.

Its good for the consumer and the contractor . But it is not " good " overall to have workers get crap wages..........anywhere in the economy...Now if after a couple years they move on to a better paying job and leave room for the " next immigrant " Maybe that works???
My roofing contractor made an interesting point about the labor force for roofing. He stated, that most American roofers have always been pot attics. They could go home after the job, do what they do, and be ready for work the next morning. But since the strain of pot (which I know nothing about) has gotten so much more potent............now they can't be ready for work the next morning.

If I was advising her, I'd say to take this one step further. Now, there is no good reason why anyone would want me as their political advisor, but I suppose I'm OK at debates. Anyway:

She should make an obvious mistake about an issue to Trump's detriment. For instance, say something like "he's been convicted of 44 felonies." Trump won't be able to contain himself and he will correct her to 34. Then Kamala could say, "I know how many felonies it is. I said 44 to manipulate you into bragging about your 34 convictions on national TV. You are so weak, so easy to manipulate. Other foreign leaders know this, which is why they are salivating at the prospect of you winning so they can get back to taking advantage of the US."

There are a number of possibilities. When you told Jeb Bush about pussy grabbing. A jury found you liable for sexually assaulting Jean E Carroll. Etc, etc.
I like this strategy.

Got to know a Hispanic masonry crew and a roofing crew fairly well. They were hard working people. Not only did they scrimp and save and move up, they provided a landing spot where their friends and families could come and have a job and get a better start than they did. Still think we look at immigration all wrong. It's almost impossible to find a wave of immigration that didn't help us. It's hard to find an immigration law that wasn't inherently racist. In my mind, immigrants are being used as scapegoats for a lot of things.

One good start is completely separate immigration and drug enforcement. There's no positives great enough to justify the negative connotations of connecting the two even loosely.

My roofing contractor made an interesting point about the labor force for roofing. He stated, that most American roofers have always been pot attics. They could go home after the job, do what they do, and be ready for work the next morning. But since the strain of pot (which I know nothing about) has gotten so much more potent............now they can't be ready for work the next morning.
This is a bullshit argument. I know a 50 year long empirical study that suggests that as the pot gets stronger, the less gets smoked. Getting too stoned and falling asleep in the corner is real. That study suggest that the same person who would smoke an ounce of pot 4-5 days in 1970 would seldom smoked more than 2-3 grams of today's current stuff.

lol…wut?

As to the debate, I think Trump made a big mistake demanding the muted mics. He’s not going to be able to blather over her while she takes it to him.

Back