Harris/Walz Catch-All | Harris does Oprah interview/Town Hall

• Thread starter Thread starter aGDevil2k
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 249
  • Views: 6K
  • Politics 

Harris Hits Core Campaign Themes in Emotional Forum With Oprah Winfrey​

Vice President Kamala Harris spoke off the cuff, as guests included a teenager shot at her school and the family of a woman in Georgia who died as a result of the state’s abortion ban.

“Vice President Kamala Harris harnessed the star power of one of her most powerful surrogates — and one of America’s foremost interviewers — to lay out a powerful pitch for her campaign on Thursday, as she passionately confronted pressing issues during a livestream forum with Oprah Winfrey.

The event, “Unite for America,” was hosted by Ms. Winfrey and drew hundreds of thousands of viewers, bolstering a strategy that Ms. Harris’s campaign sees as crucial to reaching voters in battleground states and beyond in November.

… But the most remarkable moments in the roughly 90-minute forum came when Ms. Winfrey did what she does best: orchestrating an interview that connects with everyday Americans whose experiences illustrate the strife of a country craving empathy. The discussions were heavy at times, with members of the audience — in person and at home — in tears. …”

——

I saw the discussions about abortion and I definitely got misty. My husband said his allergies were acting up.

——

Meanwhile, MAGA was out in force claiming Harris was unable to string together a complete sentence, claiming Oprah had to save her and/or Oprah clearly saw how dumb Harris is and that the event was “full of female cringe”

Yeah the abortion moment with the GA family was really powerful....awful awful awful it happened (I had not heard the story).

Agree - but I mainly meant she repeated her same story last night. So the answer bored me. Maybe if someone hadnt heard it before...but I think most folks saw the debate.

I had the exact same reaction. Make no mistake, she's got my vote and I'm confident that she has surrounded herself and will continue to surround herself with people who will work to get the things done that she wants to get done, but we're 40ish days out and if her message is boring to us, imagine how she sounds to "undecided" voters.

I think the quip about someone breaking into her house was a good thing. She needs to let her hair down a little bit and stray from the script. She's really good at talking to and relating to people. Her campaign needs to let her do that.

I had the exact same reaction. Make no mistake, she's got my vote and I'm confident that she has surrounded herself and will continue to surround herself with people who will work to get the things done that she wants to get done, but we're 40ish days out and if her message is boring to us, imagine how she sounds to "undecided" voters.

I think the quip about someone breaking into her house was a good thing. She needs to let her hair down a little bit and stray from the script. She's really good at talking to and relating to people. Her campaign needs to let her do that.
I think the biggest thing I’ve learned from the last 2 months or so, is that I really didn’t know Harris.

Not talking from a policy standpoint or her resume, but who she is as a person.

She’s much more down-to-earth and relatable than I expected for some reason. We could come up with a list of reasons why people didn’t care for Hillary (some actual, some definitely fabricated) but she always seemed robotic and a bit uncomfortable in her own skin. Harris doesn’t seem to have that problem.

I think the biggest thing I’ve learned from the last 2 months or so, is that I really didn’t know Harris.

She’s much more down-to-earth and relatable than I expected for some reason. We could come up with a list of reasons why people didn’t care for Hillary (some actual, some definitely fabricated) but she always seemed robotic and a bit uncomfortable in her own skin. Harris doesn’t seem to have that problem.
She had been defined by three things — (1) a right wing media campaign that dismissed her as stupid, unqualified, and borderline illiterate, (2) a DC press corp that seized on and amplified some mistakes she made early in her VP term while basically ignoring her in more recent years, and (3) some underhanded leaks by people on the Biden side a couple of years ago. I had a feeling people would be pleasantly shocked when they saw her actually defining herself, and I’ve never been happier to see that happening.

You've hit on a huge reason why I previously mentioned a hope Harris would focus on town hall settings. Even in a highly predictable and friendly interview setting, i.e. Oprah, Harris' answer often strike as rehearsed which can easily dovetail with insincerity. Your arguable best moment in a friendly environment shouldn't be about shooting someone, but alas, that's part of the conversation because the remainder of Harris' responses leave many feeling flat.

Harris appears to think well on her feet in the face of new and/or somewhat unexpected data. Her rehearsed policy answers land a bit like Hillary or John Kerry.

Oprah was born to a teenage single mother. Kelly supports a self proclaimed billionaire who’s never put in an honest days work in his life. The lack of self awareness is staggering.
c'mon duke, by this point (and long before) you know the hypocrisy is a feature, not a bug. Controversy/all-attention-is-good-attention, is core to the maga grift. I suspect you just don't want to firmly acknowledge it because it's a sad and disheartening, given that millions of your "neighbors" not only don't care, but openly welcome it.

Back