How Does the Harris Campaign Adequately Address Economic Issues?

Will be interesting to see how KH will respond if asked about the future of Lina Khan in a potential Harris Administration. And regulation of technology companies in general.

I sometimes end up paying $4.75 American for a half-gallon of milk in Canada, sp $9.50 a gallon. Gas is the equivalent of $5.75 American.
We just had these conversations with my wife’s relatives in St. John’s. It was a primary topic at dinner one night, just comparing prices. We were surprised how much regular groceries cost there. My wife went to the store when we got home and texted photos of various items and their prices to her aunt and cousin. Is this the same all over Canada or just a particular issue in the Atlantic provinces?

We just had these conversations with my wife’s relatives in St. John’s. It was a primary topic at dinner one night, just comparing prices. We were surprised how much regular groceries cost there. My wife went to the store when we got home and texted photos of various items and their prices to her aunt and cousin. Is this the same all over Canada or just a particular issue in the Atlantic provinces?
I think at a base level, everything is more expensive in Canada because of population density and area needing to be covered. Companies are going to amortize the cost of getting goods to the 300 people who live in one corner of Winnipeg by gouging someone in Halifax, where they offload the goods. There are only basically two grocery chains of note in Canada (with two smaller corporations giving them some competition) and they operate most of the individual brands and that really hurts affordability. A few years ago they got caught price fixing bread and it is not hard to assume other goods were/are being price fixed.

I do think the Maritimes get hit harder for some reason. They have always said it is because their population is lower, but Manitoba and Saskatchewan don't have that many more people, and the population density is way way lower. That doesn't explain why it costs more in Quebec. Canadian dairy is highly protected by tariffs (one of Trump's pet peeves, he believes tariffs should only work one way) and that has some impact, but that doesn't explain the price increase on everything else. It could also be that the Maritimes have very little power overall in Canada and corporations take advantage of a weak government

Part of it is basically selling a lot of the same goods as in the US, but with a weaker currency, but I think some of it must be the US just gets better deals on somethings due to being a superpower. The US gets better deals on gas and petroleum then most of the world and that trickles through the supply chain costs etc.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-28 at 11.14.45 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-28 at 11.14.45 AM.png
    259.1 KB · Views: 0
Honestly, I think the best way for her to beat Trump is to highjack the playbook Trump was using against Biden. Just keep talking about how old he is, how he makes no sense when he speaks, and focus on him being a 34-time felon, rapist, failure as a business man. Trump cannot tolerate anybody talking down at him like that. But to have a black woman do it will absolutely drive him nuts. He will blow himself up.

As for reaching the undecideds, I think all she has to do there is keep beating the drum of us being in the midst of a surging economy. Keep talking about how she and Biden fixed the **** show Trump left them. As long as the market keeps climbing and interest rates start going down, Trump has nothing to talk about.
If they debate, I hope she points out his word salad with no dressing (substance) multiple times.
I do like that I am see so many more adds and they focus on things that I was disappointed to not see that often from Biden. Maybe that's just the feed I have, but I like it.

I sometimes end up paying $4.75 American for a half-gallon of milk in Canada, sp $9.50 a gallon. Gas is the equivalent of $5.75 American.
Gas is a good point. Bill O Reilly said the other day that gas is up 38% under Biden. I find it interesting in that same conversation he let trump slide on several issues because of COVID, but didn't all the point that COVID dove down gas prices to be considered.

The other day my BIL said it cost over $100 to fill up his truck. Then he said "Thanks Biden". To which I responded, fuel was dirt cheap under Clinton, I guess you loved him.

Also, I just don't see the 38% increase, unless you are looking at specific dates. I recall spending under $10 to fill up the first couple years of my marriage. (Just looked it up, Average cost for gas in Georgia was under $1 from 1990-2000).

The biggest concern I hear from small business owners and affluent retirees is what will happen with estate taxes when the current law sunsets.
It will require passing a new law so control of both houses and POTUS will be needed. I don't think they'll trust the Democratics on the issue.

Picking the pennies off the eyes of the dead is never a good look, even if they are wealthy ..

The biggest concern I hear from small business owners and affluent retirees is what will happen with estate taxes when the current law sunsets.
It will require passing a new law so control of both houses and POTUS will be needed. I don't think they'll trust the Democratics on the issue.

Picking the pennies off the eyes of the dead is never a good look, even if they are wealthy ..
I'm sure there are people where that is a real concern but it needs to be countered with the headline number. The estate tax currently affects people that have a $13M estate and Republicans are fighting tooth and nail to keep it from falling back to estates worth more than $7M. Do you want your elected to officials fight for rich people's kids or normal people's kids?

Last edited:
One not so great jobs report has people crying recession again.
Economic forecasting is kind of manic isn’t it?

I strongly believe that Harris' economic message should begin by explaining why rents are so high, and detailing what she's going to do to push back against that.

I know about 30 million 18-30 year olds who would be extremely interested in hearing that conversation, and then turning their heads to hear what Donald has to say about it.

I strongly believe that Harris' economic message should begin by explaining why rents are so high, and detailing what she's going to do to push back against that.

I know about 30 million 18-30 year olds who would be extremely interested in hearing that conversation, and then turning their heads to hear what Donald has to say about it.
Tax deduction for renters tied/scaled to income is a start.

I hope this issue is addressed in the debate so voters can compare the policy difference between Trump and Kamala...

Kamala:

"I am proposing what I call the Rent Relief Act, so for renters who are paying more than 30% of their income in rent plus utilities, they will receive a tax credit, so that they can be able to get through the month paying rent," said Harris at the time. "I also connect it to the issue of what we need to do around equal pay, I connect it to the issue of what we need to do to raise the minimum wage."

Trump :

"We're going to drill, baby, drill"

I think the tax cut for lower income renters is a good idea. It would likely add some to demand for rental housing, which in theory should take some pressure off owner occupied housing. That could raise prices some in the short term, but with increased rents it will incentivize developers to build more, which is really the only true way out of the housing shortage. Even if that didn’t happen it would at the least benefit people.

I’m less enthused about tax free tips. Before we can add any tax cuts we need to fix the deficit. I don’t think we need to pay down the debt and a small deficit wouldn’t really bother me, but the amount we’ve been running is unsustainable. Lowest hanging fruit is the Trump tax cuts. Reverse those and lift the cap on the social security contributions limits and you’ve got a nice head start on getting things under control fiscally. Still the matter of Medicare, but that’s something that needs more structural change than fiscal.

Back