Idea for the forum

superrific

Iconic Member
Maybe each poster can have one catch-all thread for topics that aren't particularly timely, but they want to discuss. I'm fearing that there's a big thread explosion waiting to happen. Yes, I know, I'm creating a thread to talk about fewer threads, but bear with me.

1. For instance, I created a "super's legal discussion thread." It's by no means only for me, but it's a place to discuss various legal topics in some depth. For instance, that might be a place to discuss the Supreme Court's odd ruling in the recent shadow docket case about Biden's Title IX gender equality rule. Has the court overturned Bostock? It's potentially interesting but not quite the same impact as, say, whether Project 47 can actually destroy the US civil service by executive order.

That wouldn't preclude me from starting another thread on a particularly timely legal topic -- if, for instance, the Supreme Court were to issue a very bad voting rights decision in a way that would f with the election. Or if there are particular important cases of general interest (e.g. Dobbs, Bruen, Loper Bright that overturned Chevron), I would start the thread if nobody else has. But I don't the board would want separate threads from me on each legal topic that might be of interest.

2. So maybe don bosco could have a thread for his stories. CF can have a thread for celebrity gossip and discussion about what he had for lunch or dinner. I think one collective music thread would be enough. Maybe a couple of them to account for different genres (nobody wants to hear my take on country or bluegrass, and few posters would care about the rise and fall of death metal). Plenty of other examples. I'm not going to try to be board police about this. It's just an idea.

3. One thing that I didn't like about the old ZZL was the way that high-response threads would push down lower-response threads. And my high response, I don't mean "popular" -- I mean the threads that by design invite lots and lots of short posts, like the "type the first word," threads. My sense was that those threads weren't necessarily more popular than others; it's just that participating in the thread required 20 posts in the time one might take for one post on another thread. In this way, the more mindless threads would stay pinned near the top, which is sort of perverse. Not all threads have to be highly intellectual, but I don't know if we want a structural bias in favor of threads that aren't timely or of general interest.

Just my thoughts.

Maybe each poster can have one catch-all thread for topics that aren't particularly timely, but they want to discuss. I'm fearing that there's a big thread explosion waiting to happen. Yes, I know, I'm creating a thread to talk about fewer threads, but bear with me.

1. For instance, I created a "super's legal discussion thread." It's by no means only for me, but it's a place to discuss various legal topics in some depth. For instance, that might be a place to discuss the Supreme Court's odd ruling in the recent shadow docket case about Biden's Title IX gender equality rule. Has the court overturned Bostock? It's potentially interesting but not quite the same impact as, say, whether Project 47 can actually destroy the US civil service by executive order.

That wouldn't preclude me from starting another thread on a particularly timely legal topic -- if, for instance, the Supreme Court were to issue a very bad voting rights decision in a way that would f with the election. Or if there are particular important cases of general interest (e.g. Dobbs, Bruen, Loper Bright that overturned Chevron), I would start the thread if nobody else has. But I don't the board would want separate threads from me on each legal topic that might be of interest.

2. So maybe don bosco could have a thread for his stories. CF can have a thread for celebrity gossip and discussion about what he had for lunch or dinner. I think one collective music thread would be enough. Maybe a couple of them to account for different genres (nobody wants to hear my take on country or bluegrass, and few posters would care about the rise and fall of death metal). Plenty of other examples. I'm not going to try to be board police about this. It's just an idea.

3. One thing that I didn't like about the old ZZL was the way that high-response threads would push down lower-response threads. And my high response, I don't mean "popular" -- I mean the threads that by design invite lots and lots of short posts, like the "type the first word," threads. My sense was that those threads weren't necessarily more popular than others; it's just that participating in the thread required 20 posts in the time one might take for one post on another thread. In this way, the more mindless threads would stay pinned near the top, which is sort of perverse. Not all threads have to be highly intellectual, but I don't know if we want a structural bias in favor of threads that aren't timely or of general interest.

Just my thoughts.
Have you played around with ignoring threads? Because I’ve found that to be a GREAT way to avoid the dynamic you’re talking about, of “mindless” threads pushing down the more substantive ones.

There has been a bit of feedback regarding this topic recently. We are rolling out a site redesign hopefully in less than a week. One of the features is that threads will now have a topic category. Politics, sports, off topic, etc. You will very easily be able to toggle what kind of threads you want to see, you can ignore topics altogether, etc.

Until then, yeah, the ignore feature works pretty well. But, we appreciate the feedback and understand the tone of the board is important for engagement.

Have you played around with ignoring threads? Because I’ve found that to be a GREAT way to avoid the dynamic you’re talking about, of “mindless” threads pushing down the more substantive ones.
That doesn't really solve the problem. It might help me sort through distraction, but it only promotes discussion if a) other people are also doing it; or b) I am eager to talk to myself on a thread.

There has been a bit of feedback regarding this topic recently. We are rolling out a site redesign hopefully in less than a week. One of the features is that threads will now have a topic category. Politics, sports, off topic, etc. You will very easily be able to toggle what kind of threads you want to see, you can ignore topics altogether, etc.
I like this ... hence the reason I gave your post a "like". :)

Well Done Yes GIF by rubenscantuni

Just my thoughts.
It seems to be heading that way.

I renamed the Bear thread to discuss popular series as it was trending that way.

This is probably a good idea.

That doesn't really solve the problem. It might help me sort through distraction, but it only promotes discussion if a) other people are also doing it; or b) I am eager to talk to myself on a thread.
Ha ha, supers thread where super only talks to super.

Until then, yeah, the ignore feature works pretty well. But, we appreciate the feedback and understand the tone of the board is important for engagement.
@Rock. You're doing great work with the board, thank you.

I thought you’d have a “Marriage Advice” thread?
This could be one of the most epic threads of all time... a general thread where posters disclose their marital issues, and the collective genius of the ZZLP2.0 gives advice.

I recall that one epic thread where the poster tried to justify not telling his wife he'd applied for a job across the country until he found out whether the company was going to offer...

Back