I'm confused. I thought everybody won.

It blows my mind that states have rushed to legalize sports betting everywhere while still outlawing poker (probably due to lobbying from powerful sports-industry interests). Both can lead to problem gambling but IMO sports betting is far worse in some ways - invites corruption and fixing into pro and college sports, much easier for the online companies to exploit given the house edge as opposed to just the house getting a take, etc.
I agree, because there are SO many people who think they can just study and figure out what's going to happen in any sports game. Versus something like playing cards where you know it's mostly luck.

I will never have a gambling addiction because I hate losing a lot more than I like winning.

You could of course say the stock market is gambling but over the long haul its pretty much a sure bet if you diversify.
Gambling has a negative expected value. Stock market has a definite positive expected value. So I agree with you, in no way is the stock market “gambling” in the same way. There is risk involved though of course.

With gambling you have to budget it as an expense, and it’s a bonus if you happen to win money over any significant period of time. That’s how I handle it, at least.

Back