Immigration Issues and Reform

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 131
  • Views: 1K

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter
The topic keeps popping up in multiple other threads, so figured we may as well have a dedicated discussion thread on the topic.

A few posts from the presidential election thread to prime the pump:

HY12: “
Trump will push the envelope, there will be challenges, there will be lawsuits, and like anything else government-related it’ll take forever. The ACLU is already talking about how they’ll mitigate some of Trump’s more concerning impulses in this area.

In other words, Trump will set an anti-illegal immigration tone, and if he’s successful, maybe he’ll get 3 million people deported this time (compared to the 1 million from his last administration and the 300,000 from Biden administration). It will never be all 11 million+ in four years.

Edit: this is starting to get too far down the illegal immigration rabbit hole and this thread is supposed to be about the election itself. Happy to continue this convo in a thread about illegal immigration.”

Lightbluenc: “
wait. You think The Biden Admin has only deported 300k?

What's your data?

From May 2023 to January 2024, the latest available data, there have been 520,000 returns and removals. The next highest number is the 518,000 returns and removals in fiscal year 2019, under the Trump administration.

1723032516520.png

And even then. What benefit do we get as a nation, in deporting 3 million people who are contributing to our society? Why is this such a big issue? If the Venezuelan lady who traveled a thousand miles, came all this way and took your job, maybe you need to work on your resume.

yeah we can continue elsewhere, for sure”

HY12:

You sure you have the right numbers? Looks like Trump deported about 1.5 million migrants in his four years and Biden is on a very similar pace.

See my post above that I think we need to move the immigration discussion to a different thread and move this one back on track to focus on the election. This will be my last immigration post on this thread but wanted to respond to you since we’ve had some good back and forth lately.

I think the difference in your data and mine is likely due to the various ways this can be counted - “removals”, “returns” and “expulsions” all have different meanings. I will link the NBC News article where I got my numbers from below, understanding that this only captures like 3+ years of Biden data vs 4 years of Trump.

“During the Trump years there were an estimated 935,089 deportations, according to Immigration and Customs Enforcement data. As of February, there have been an estimated 339,751 deportations during the Biden administration.”

Link: How would mass deportation of migrants under Trump actually work?

Hell yeah, let’s get this party started!

Immigrants are significantly less likely to commit crimes than the U.S.-born​

Study finds over a 150-year period, immigrants have never been incarcerated at a greater rate than those born in the United States

Debunking the Myth of the ‘Migrant Crime Wave’

Data does not support claims that the United States is experiencing a surge in crime caused by immigrants.

No, undocumented immigrants don’t commit more crime. Research shows they commit a lot less​

It’s an article of faith in some corners of politics and the media: All those undocumented immigrants crossing the southern border are making crime much worse in the United States. But new research gives the lie to that assertion.

Mass Deportations Would Impoverish US Families and Create Immense Social Costs​

The Economic Impacts of Removing Unauthorized Immigrant Workers​

An Industry- and State-Level Analysis​

The United States as a whole, as well as each state, stands to suffer widespread economic losses under a policy that removes unauthorized immigrants.

Trump’s Plans for Mass Deportation Would Be an Economic Disaster​

Besides being cruel, deporting 11 million unauthorized immigrants would cause labor shortages and slash national wage and salary income, likely triggering a recession and reigniting inflation.

So…
1. Less likely to commit crime historically
2. No current migrant crime wave
3. Logistical nightmare for mass deportation
4. Major (negative) economic ramifications if mass deportations happen
5. Bill/law that would have significantly tightened border security, and had bipartisan support, torpedoed by Repubs to not give Dems a “win” in an election year

I’m not the smartest guy on this board, but that sounds like a made-up crises to scare rural white voters.

So…
1. Less likely to commit crime historically
2. No current migrant crime wave
3. Logistical nightmare for mass deportation
4. Major (negative) economic ramifications if mass deportations happen
5. Bill/law that would have significantly tightened border security, and had bipartisan support, torpedoed by Repubs to not give Dems a “win” in an election year

I’m not the smartest guy on this board, but that sounds like a made-up crises to scare rural white voters.
If Republicans didn’t have grievance-fueled, racially-animated, short-sighted, and potentially domestically disastrous policy aims, they wouldn’t have any policy aims at all.

Mass deportation would also result in high default rates for the 1.2 million mortgages held by households with undocumented immigrants and, as a result, would undermine the US housing market. In addition, according to one study, the nation's GDP would be reduced by an estimated $4.7 trillion over 10 years.

Back