Introducing super ignore + site updates.

• Thread starter Thread starter Rock
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 40
  • Views: 613

Rock

Chef de Cuisine
Staff Member
ZZL(P?)ers.. it's been a little over three weeks and the growth of this community has been more than we could have ever imagined. Driven entirely by the contributions you all have made through posting, contributing, and also donating, we have been at work behind the scenes figuring out how to make this place even better than it already is. And it's great as is.

The donations received have freed me up to pay for a site redesign in partnership with a company called Pixel Exit that is the foremost developer for redesigning the kind of forum we use. There is a lot that works here but there are a lot of areas that could be cleaned up and look a little more... professional. As this is a cosmetic endeavor, I would like to clarify that 100% of your donations will go toward server costs but allowing me to not have to pay for those costs freed me up to explore this personally.

Second, thanks to your feedback, we realized that the ignore function didn't work quite as well as we would have liked. We didn't have anyone on ignore due to necessity so missed that it still put a warning "you have chosen to ignore this user, show content?" and showed the post of a non-ignored user quoting an ignored user. It does a better job than 247 where it ignores the ignored users entire original post and threads started by them but still ignore should be ignore.

With that, we have developed super ignore. This was primarily developed for those of us that detest trolling/trolls and don't find the necessity in seeing their presence on the forum, either through their original posts or the fallout from others engaging with them. There is diverse thought about trolls and how to handle them, some are fine arguing with them, some want to ignore them completely, and everything in between. Well, with super ignore, you are finally free to browse in peace knowing that the super ignored won't get the satisfaction of annoying you. Here is how it works.

Here is a normal thread where I have chosen @mpaer (sorry!) to serve as an example. He has an original thought and is then frequently quoted:
no ignoring.png

This is the current ignore. His original post is gone but you can see that his content still lives on. Additionally, a small annoyance, you can see his reactions (thumbs up, similes) still even though he's ignored (bottom):
old ignore.png

With super ignore? The same thread but completely different. Highlighted on the right is that, by necessity, you can see that it jumps from post 47 in the thread to 57. 10 whole posts were skipped due to mpaer posting or people interacting with his posts:
supigworks.png

You can see who you have chosen to super ignore by checking your account in the top right:
pprofile.png
mpaer.png

You can choose to super ignore or "regular" ignore users by clicking on their profile. The super ignored will still show up in the regular ignored section (and become come super unignored if you unignore them in that area) as that can't be helped at present.

We've had a pretty good handle on trolling but as the election nears, we expect provocateurs to increase. This should make quick work of those users.

Please let us know of any issues/bugs you find. A note on that, if you have someone on ignore at the moment, you'll have to also super ignore them should you want to also super ignore them.

Thanks for reading all this and happy posting!!!

Why don't I ever make the cut?

People like to ignore me like you wouldn't believe. I'm the best ignore ever.

BTW, can I super ignore myself? If so, do I disappear into a great void or worse yet, get transferred to the Devil's Den?

You don't and never will be ignored, my Tar Heel brother . . you're posting history is legendary on the msg boards. I salute you good sir !

Back