Major changes proposed for UNC (engineering school + enrollment increase)

Accessible article on subject (I hit a firewall with bizjournals.com one).

Looks like someone wants to be serious about football after all. We'll see if anything comes of this. I'm 110% for it. I'd like to see undergrad enrollment nearly double, maybe in the 35-42k range. UNC was not meant to be a school for the ultra elite academics.

Totally agree with UNC increasing enrollment. The population of North Carolina has exploded over the last two decades. I'm guessing that we'd have to open a new Centennial-esque campus at Carolina North. We are also currently space-limited as it pertains to on-campus housing. Not sure what they plan to do with Odum Village but that could be a good space for several new dorm buildings.

Totally agree with UNC increasing enrollment. The population of North Carolina has exploded over the last two decades. I'm guessing that we'd have to open a new Centennial-esque campus at Carolina North. We are also currently space-limited as it pertains to on-campus housing. Not sure what they plan to do with Odum Village but that could be a good space for several new dorm buildings.

I believe that Odum Village is one of the sites earmarked for a New Basketball Arena.

Looks like someone wants to be serious about football after all. We'll see if anything comes of this. I'm 110% for it. I'd like to see undergrad enrollment nearly double, maybe in the 35-42k range. UNC was not meant to be a school for the ultra elite academics.
I know this might not be popular, but I wouldn't mind seeing Carolina remain an ultra elite academic institution and let NCSU become the good but huge public university in the state.

My only fear in going that route is in a generation or so I would imagine that jealousy from the Raleigh campus plus the disadvantage in the number of alums would give NCSU the ability to harm Carolina in ways no one would be able to stop.

I know this might not be popular, but I wouldn't mind seeing Carolina remain an ultra elite academic institution and let NCSU become the good but huge public university in the state.

My only fear in going that route is in a generation or so I would imagine that jealousy from the Raleigh campus plus the disadvantage in the number of alums would give NCSU the ability to harm Carolina in ways no one would be able to stop.
Michigan enrollment: 52,000
Texas enrollment: 53,000
Berkeley enrollment: 46,000
UCLA enrollment: 47,000
UNC enrollment: 32,000

They did when I was at UNC in the early to mid 2000s.
Same here. My actual degree was Mathematical Science with focus in Computer Science, but they renamed it to just Computer Science a year or two after I graduated. Did they stop it?

Michigan enrollment: 52,000
Texas enrollment: 53,000
Berkeley enrollment: 46,000
UCLA enrollment: 47,000
UNC enrollment: 32,000
Enrollment divided & state population

Michigan: 52,000 - 10.03m
Texas: 53,000 - 30.03m
Berkeley: 46,000 - 39.03m
UCLA: 47,000 - 39.03m
UNC: 32,000 - 10.70m

The only one of those comparisons that is relevant to UNC is Michigan. And Michigan has 48% of its undergrads from out-of-state.

If you're going to ramp up Carolina's enrollment at the undergraduate level, then the OOS cap has to be a part of the discussion.

If we're adding 15-20k undergrads, the only way I'd come close to supporting it is if the majority of them are OOS admits.

that’s not the mission of the university nor aligned with being a major research center.

The only one of those comparisons that is relevant to UNC is Michigan. And Michigan has 48% of its undergrads from out-of-state.

If you're going to ramp up Carolina's enrollment at the undergraduate level, then the OOS cap has to be a part of the discussion.

If we're adding 15-20k undergrads, the only way I'd come close to supporting it is if the majority of them are OOS admits.
California has several universities that are huge, for comparison.

UCSD - 43k
San Diego st - 34k
USC - 49k
CSU Fullerton - 43k

There are 13 with greater thann 30k

California has several universities that are huge, for comparison.

UCSD - 43k
San Diego st - 34k
USC - 49k
CSU Fullerton - 43k

There are 13 with greater thann 30k

And UCI is 38k and UCSB is 26k, both of which are in the top 35 in USNWR. So I’m not sure Snoop’s population size adjustment adequately explains why we are so far behind UCLA and Berkeley.

What about the University of Georgia or the University of Washington or the University of Wisconsin? All from similarly sized states, all very highly regarded universities, and all much bigger than UNC.

Really should be looking at undergrad enrollment numbers.

Back