Man charged with first degree murder released, then kills someone else

2ManyBlueCups

Esteemed Member
fix what, he wasn’t convicted of anything yet. Bail is already a fucked issue penalizing the poor.

fix what, he wasn’t convicted of anything yet. Bail is already a fucked issue penalizing the poor.
I think that someone charged with murdering his child's mother over a custody dispute should remain in jail until trial. As it stands, releasing him punished the random person that he killed last night.

I think that someone charged with murdering his child's mother over a custody dispute should remain in jail until trial. As it stands, releasing him punished the random person that he killed last night.
That applies to any person released on bail for any offense who gets in an accident. Had they still been in custody the accident wouldn’t have happened. Where do we draw that line? Should there be a limit on pretrial incarceration?

That applies to any person released on bail for any offense who gets in an accident. Had they still been in custody the accident wouldn’t have happened. Where do we draw that line? Should there be a limit on pretrial incarceration?

It is definitely a thorny issue, but generally speaking I don't favor bail for people charged with first degree murder. Nor do I favor having them wait in jail for 3 years before their trial starts. Best case scenario, their trial starts within 6 months of them being charged with an offense like murder and they are jailed except for extraordinary circumstances. Also, I don't know if it is fair to call what this guy did last night an accident....he was (allegedly) driving drunk and fleeing from the police at over 100 mph.

It is definitely a thorny issue, but generally speaking I don't favor bail for people charged with first degree murder. Nor do I favor having them wait in jail for 3 years before their trial starts. Best case scenario, their trial starts within 6 months of them being charged with an offense like murder and they are jailed except for extraordinary circumstances. Also, I don't know if it is fair to call what this guy did last night an accident....he was (allegedly) driving drunk and fleeing from the police at over 100 mph.
As someone who represents people charged with murder, let me first say that a trial within six months of an arrest is WAAAY too soon. You need time to go through discovery, conduct an investigation, consult with experts, etc. And on top with that, we have a lot of other cases to deal with. The state usually has everything it needs pretty early on and has vast resources that the defendant does not have. The defense starts off behind the 8-ball. Having a trial so soon in such a case would be very unfair to the defendant and would prejudice him/her. The defense needs time.

One thing that a court should factor in when it comes to bond— and judges in NC often don’t because they want to get re-elected— is the strength of the evidence. I had one guy sit in jail for three years on a murder charge despite the case against him being extremely weak. While there was probable cause to support the charge, there was no way the state would be able to prove its case beyond a reasonable doubt. The state eventually dismissed after we rejected numerous sweetheart deals. I had another case where my client was charged with murder on a very weak set of facts. He did make bond so at least he didn’t have to sit in jail. But he was on house arrest. It took six years for the state to dimiss his case (the pandemic impacted this to some extent).

I agree your first two sentences present a conundrum. I considered my use of the term “accident” but decided to stick with it because while negligent, crashing his vehicle was not intentional. But your point is taken.

There are more than 100 people accused if murder out in bond and walking free in Robeson county. There is an accused murderer in jail who has been awaiting trial for 9 years. The local judicial system has no capacity to keep up. That sure isn't justice.

The US of A already has more people in jail than any other country on earth. Something is wrong with our society based on that fact alone
Prisons should be for violent criminals. Put people in prison for drugs, nonviolent and white-collar crimes to work to the benefit of the community.

Prisons should be for violent criminals. Put people in prison for drugs, nonviolent and white-collar crimes to work to the benefit of the community.
I agree that we shouldn’t be putting drug users and most non-violent criminals in prison.

I advocate that most white collar criminals should go to prison. A fine, community service, and probation isn’t sufficient punishment.

I agree that we shouldn’t be putting drug users and most non-violent criminals in prison.

I advocate that most white collar criminals should go to prison. A fine, community service, and probation isn’t sufficient punishment.
I would not quibble. But if there are people accused if white collar crimes in prison and murderers and rapist walking around because there is no jail space, that is the issue.

Most, no.

What the point?
The point is it is very often a good idea to set large bonds for murder defendants and other non-victimless criminal cases. It helps ensure that the defendant actually appears court. Ideally, it also helps ensure that the defendant doesn't do something homicidal in the community while awaiting trial; for example driving while impaired at 110 mph while running from the cops one month after being charged with first degree murder.

Aside from drug trafficking cases, which carry mandatory minimums based on quantity, the vast majority of non-violent criminals who are in prison are there because they originally got probation and subsequently screwed that up

That was less true 10 years ago and much less true 20 years ago.

For misdemeanors and light felonies, there absolutely should be some limit, or at least some check, on pretrial confinement. Way too many people spend way too many days in county jail for dinky stuff; because they have no dough and no friends.

For real stuff - murders, sex offenses, robberies, and habitual, recidivist assault or b&e - the current system works about as well as it can.

The point is it is very often a good idea to set large bonds for murder defendants and other non-victimless criminal cases. It helps ensure that the defendant actually appears court. Ideally, it also helps ensure that the defendant doesn't do something homicidal in the community while awaiting trial; for example driving while impaired at 110 mph while running from the cops one month after being charged with first degree murder.

That’s just a punishment for people without money.

Home arrest accomplishes the same goal without bankrupting someone. Unless that’s the point.

It is interesting how certain people get large bail amount and others don’t.

Back