Mass Shooting & Gun Violence catch-all | Kentucky Sheriff kills KY Judge in courthouse?

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 519
  • Views: 8K
  • Politics 
Socioeconomic disparity. In almost all societies, poorer people are the victims and perpetrators of the most violence. That does not mean all A-A guns deaths are gang related. In fact, I'd bet that less than half involve actual gang members.
So being poor makes kids shoot each other? There’s nothing else at play? No cultural icons that glorify violence? No music about murdering your rivals over neighborhood beefs? Have you spent much time in low-income areas?

So being poor makes kids shoot each other? There’s nothing else at play? No cultural icons that glorify violence? No music about murdering your rivals over neighborhood beefs? Have you spent much time in low-income areas?
If you can’t connect these dots …

Basically, yes. In virtually every society, poor people suffer disproportionately all of society's ills, including violence. This is not unique to America. There is plenty of social science data to back this up. It is not a controversial point.

Maybe from watching GOP politicians fetishize their guns.

To reiterate HeelingAg’s point about connecting the dots:

Why do you think some AA artists from poor backgrounds write songs that might glorify violence? Could it be because they are surrounded by violence, and so they write songs about what they know and see around them?

Why do you think some AA youths from poor backgrounds might gravitate toward such music/misicians? Could it be because they, also, are surrounded by violence and gravitate toward music they can relate to?

Why do you think some AA artists from poor backgrounds write songs that might glorify violence? Could it be because they are surrounded by violence, and so they write songs about what they know and see around them?

Why do you think some AA youths from poor backgrounds might gravitate toward such music/misicians? Could it be because they, also, are surrounded by violence and gravitate toward music they can relate to?
we can’t blame gun manufacturers or politicians who make it easy for bad and stupid people to obtain assault weapons.
But somehow we can blame rappers for the violence.
How come the “it’s just a commodity and it isn’t our fault if someone misuses our product,” doesn’t hold true for music with these people?

I think many here see the utility in laws that, while not preventing every single shooting, would prevent some and lower the overall risk, especially over time. Someone shooting up a school with a 12-gauge or a pistol or a pocket knife is objectively less likely to result in mass death than high-capacity AR-type rifles. It's cliched now, sadly, but don't let perfect be the enemy of good.
I think the laws seem to work well in every other country. Literally what else needs to be proven.

Right.

I would never say that to the parent of a kid killed in a school shooting. I’m not a monster. But I will say it to this board and maybe it will relieve some unnecessary anxiety.

And you have an odd interpretation of the word “realistic”. There are roughly 100,000 schools in America. There are maybe 20 school shootings a year. That means your child has roughly 1 in 5,000 chance of being in a school shooting each year. And of course the chance of actually dying in a school shooting is astronomically low. There are 50 million school students in the US. And roughly 20 school homicides a year. So it is hard to see how that is “realistic” in probability terms.
1 in 5000 is not low. A disease that occurs 1 in 5000 is not low. Seriously. That’s not low.

And why should we expect one school shooting a year. Your math assumes that as i read it. I mean zero would be nice to expect. Why does a minimally regulated gun market at this point have more rights than a kids right to live without fear of being shot. I’m bothered that someone’s right to own a killing machine outweighs another person right to live peacefully and not die in some random act of violence.

Last edited:
Do you drive on public roads? Fly on airplanes? Receive medical care at hospitals? There is risk in literally every single aspect of life.
And how do those industries minimize the risk? Take the control of the device/process out of tue hands of the human.

And to further remove this from being a racial issue, let's not gloss over the fact that country music - long the music of lower SES whites - has quite the impressive history of songs promoting violence. Of course, that's mostly changed for mainstream country as it's become more and more the music of suburban moms and 20-something women, but violence still pops up occasionally in mainstream country and even more so in niche country-adjacent genres like alt-bluegrass and folk/Americana.

Last edited:
1 in 5000 is not low. A disease that occurs 1 in 5000 is not low. Seriously. That’s not low.

And why should we expect one school shooting a year. Your math assumes that as i read it. I mean zero would be nice to expect. Why does a minimally regulated gun market at this point have more rights than a kids right to live without fear of being shot. I’m bothered that someone’s right to own a killing machine outweighs another person right to live peacefully and not die in some random act of violence.
That is just the odds of attending a school where there is a shooting -- any kind of shooting ranging from an incident in the parking lot to an Uvalde massacre. As I also wrote, the odds of being killed in a school shooting is far, far lower -- roughly .0000004% a year. Of course, as others have pointed out, just being present at a school in which a shooting occurs can be a very traumatic event -- depending on the type of shooting and how close to the violence. And it also doesn't count the almost 100% chance that a school will have a lockdown at some point during the child's attendance due to the possibility of some violent risk.

This whole thread has been a bit of a Rorschach test that intersects psychology, sociology and politics.

On the one hand, people have rightly pointed out that in a better society, kids should never even need to think about school shootings -- like most school children around the world. And there has been rightful outrage that the gun lobby has effectively stymied even modest gun reform laws -- regardless of whether such reforms would stop all or even most school shootings.

Another thing about school shootings -- above almost any other mass tragedy event -- is the natural emotional reaction to the death of children. People, especially parents, have an instinctual desire to protect children. And when a group of children are hurt, it results in a very visceral reaction for most psychologically healthy adults.

But none of those valid emotional and political view points can undercut the fact that mass school shootings like today are incredibly rare. And there are negative externalities to treating these kind of events as "realistic" or worth worrying about when you send your kids to school -- just like there were negative externalities to having kids hide under their desks for nuclear bomb threats in the 1950s and 1960s. When @aGDevil2k worries about his/her child surviving the next 7.75 years of school, that is an unfortunate byproduct of the media coverage of these shootings. It is much, much more likely that the child will die in the car on the way to school or the way back. And that is not an asinine observation. So many risks are taken in a car every day (speeding, maintenance, cell phone use, distracted driving, etc. etc.) and most of us use virtually no mental energy worrying about these very real risks. Instead, we worry about the risks of something that has virtually no chance of affecting our lives or the lives of our loved ones.

None of what I write is intended to discount the problem of school shootings. It is an especially American problem, which means that there are things we can do to make it better. But we don't need to engage in statistical malpractice to elevate the risk of school shootings to members of this board. As a general rule, our lives would be better if we aligned our reptilian brain to the risks we actually face on a daily basis.

Statistically speaking they will be just fine. These incidents are high visibility but low frequency events that only impact a fraction of a fraction of a percent of students, thankfully.
But those “low frequency“ events are extremely “high impact”… your dead kid. Statistically speaking, your dead kid is an outlier, so no biggie.

I’m willing to wager that when the shooting cited above happened, very few of the 3,600 students at school at the time were even aware it happened. Had it not been for the response and media coverage, they may not have found out about it until well afterwards. That’s partially my point. Traumatizing these kids in situations like that is not helpful IMO. It would be akin to flight attendants screaming at passengers to don their life jackets and brace for impact whenever the plane hit turbulence, and then wondering why people have a fear of flying.
That is an awful annology. I guess the kids that were not in the part of the school where the shooter was should have just went about the day like normal.

Back