• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 510
  • Views: 8K
  • Politics 

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter

"New Jersey’s ban on the AR-15 rifle is unconstitutional, but the state’s cap on magazines over 10 rounds passes constitutional muster, a federal judge said Tuesday.

US District Judge Peter Sheridan’s 69-page opinion says he was compelled to rule as he did because of the Supreme Court’s rulings in firearms cases, particularly the 2022 Bruen decision that expanded gun rights.

Sheridan’s ruling left both 2nd Amendment advocates and the state attorney general planning appeals. The judge temporarily delayed the order for 30 days. ..."

Last edited:

I feel like they are using an overly broad definition of "mass shooting". I prefer the FBI's definition, which is " one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area." There were 48 such events last year, down from 61 in 2021 and 50 in 2022. Still far too many, but we are moving in the right direction.

I feel like they are using an overly broad definition of "mass shooting". I prefer the FBI's definition, which is " one or more individuals actively engaged in killing or attempting to kill people in a populated area." There were 48 such events last year, down from 61 in 2021 and 50 in 2022. Still far too many, but we are moving in the right direction.
I would prefer they come up with a statistical measure for gang violence mass shooting that happens sadly too often and school shooter types that are much less prevalent but also happen way too often. It would just help in understanding the issues.

As an aside, and lord I hope I don't regret saying this in the near future but I feel like there haven't been near as many of the public shooting spree type events recently.

I would prefer they come up with a statistical measure for gang violence mass shooting that happens sadly too often and school shooter types that are much less prevalent but also happen way too often. It would just help in understanding the issues.

As an aside, and lord I hope I don't regret saying this in the near future but I feel like there haven't been near as many of the public shooting spree type events recently.

I know what you mean. The FBI won't publish their 2024 statistics until early next year but after perusing Wikipedia, there have been 38 instances in which 4 or more people have been shot and killed so far this year in the US. Of those instances, 6 meet the FBI criteria mentioned above. The rest were either domestic violence or gang-related.

I know what you mean. The FBI won't publish their 2024 statistics until early next year but after perusing Wikipedia, there have been 38 instances in which 4 or more people have been shot and killed so far this year in the US. Of those instances, 6 meet the FBI criteria mentioned above. The rest were either domestic violence or gang-related.
Oh, well, if it's domestic violence, it's OK

Oh, well, if it's domestic violence, it's OK

Not saying that at all. Sometimes you have to celebrate the wins instead of trying to frame them as losses. A dramatic reduction in the number of people who go out and murder strangers at random is a good thing.

I have long thought that if you could limit magazine size and tax the hell out of ammo, you could really cut down on gun violence. Sadly, I don't think restrictions on weapons themselves will have any real impact during my lifetime.

I want to just add something to this topic thread even though probably very few on this board don't know the following. I think it should be in any thread about guns.

We must state clearly that the Republican politicians who have fought against even basic gun control are the essential root cause of all of the ongoing, senseless gun deaths in America because of their long-standing collusion with gun manufacturers, the NRA. Too many Democrats have been involved too, but they have not been in any way the drivers of the problem. There is no other possible way to state the reality.

Some Americans have been given a delusion that guns can protect them if a fascist government (ironically, like Trump's would be) gets into office. This is the supreme fantasy of the uneducated. The government would just cut off all supplies of water and all deliveries to fast food restaurants, and all the middle-aged white males who've horded guns and ammo, along with all the Neo Nazis, Proud Boys, and KKK members, would surrender in a week. The B2 bombers would not be needed, and not even a few attack drones.

Americans (a subset) own a just a whole bunch of guns because they were told lies and made paranoid over decades, and wasted a huge amount of money in the process hording guns. They, just like all of us suffer with a society where easy access to guns--including weapons of war designed to tear bodies to pieces--mean outrageously unnecessary suffering and death. Watch this and share it:

I want to just add something to this topic thread even though probably very few on this board don't know the following. I think it should be in any thread about guns.

We must state clearly that the Republican politicians who have fought against even basic gun control are the essential root cause of all of the ongoing, senseless gun deaths in America because of their long-standing collusion with gun manufacturers, the NRA. Too many Democrats have been involved too, but they have not been in any way the drivers of the problem. There is no other possible way to state the reality.

Some Americans have been given a delusion that guns can protect them if a fascist government (ironically, like Trump's would be) gets into office. This is the supreme fantasy of the uneducated. The government would just cut off all supplies of water and all deliveries to fast food restaurants, and all the middle-aged white males who've horded guns and ammo, along with all the Neo Nazis, Proud Boys, and KKK members, would surrender in a week. The B2 bombers would not be needed, and not even a few attack drones.

Americans (a subset) own a just a whole bunch of guns because they were told lies and made paranoid over decades, and wasted a huge amount of money in the process hording guns. They, just like all of us suffer with a society where easy access to guns--including weapons of war designed to tear bodies to pieces--mean outrageously unnecessary suffering and death. Watch this and share it:

I don't think it is fair to say that Republicans "are the essential cause of all of the ongoing, senseless gun deaths in America". Mass shootings (per the FBI definition) make up a fraction of a percent of gun deaths. The majority are suicides. The majority of homicides are drug/gang or domestic violence related. Of the first category, they are highly concentrated in low-income, urban areas that are essentially Blue walls. Republicans may be largely to blame for the guy with the AR shooting 30 people, but they aren't to blame for the much more common occurrence of the 16 year-old already illegally armed with the glock switch he bought from a drug dealer shooting up another kid over a street beef or drug deal gone wrong.

Also, a random Marine is not a constitutional scholar nor a Supreme Court justice and the 2nd Amendment has already been settled.

With respect to the above post, I think it is fair and pertinent to publicize the gun crime that happens every day that is often overlooked because it is so frequent and because it doesn't involve mass numbers of victims. Just a sampling from around North Carolina over the weekend:

"A 6-year-old child is in critical condition and his mother is dead after a domestic violence attack that spanned two counties on Sunday morning.
Law enforcement officers say Daquan Marcato Jones, 32, of 1301 Leggett Road in Rocky Mount, shot four people – a mother, her child, another woman and a man – before dawn in Sharpsburg."

A teenager was killed early Saturday morning in Goldsboro.
At 2:49 a.m., officers with the Goldsboro Police Department responded to an alert from the ShotSpotter gunfire detection system of multiple rounds fired in the 800 block of North Audubon Avenue.

When they arrived, officers found a 15-year-old girl who had been shot. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A shooting in Durham Sunday left one dead and another injured.

It happened around 1 a.m. in the area of North Roxboro Street and West Club Boulevard.

When officers arrived, they found a man suffering from a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second man with a gunshot wound was found. He was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

This appears to be an isolated incident, the Durham Police Department said, and more information will be released at a later time.

CHARLOTTE — Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police are investigating a homicide in west Charlotte.

A person was shot and killed in a shooting along Caronia Street, according to paramedics.

It happened shortly after 1 p.m. at an townhome community along Caronia Street.

SALISBURY, N.C. — One person is dead and a child is hurt after a shooting in Salisbury early Saturday morning, police said.

Crews arrived to a home on Rowan Mill Road around 5:30 a.m. where there were reports of shots fired. Police found a man who had been shot and was later pronounced dead at the scene.

Police later found out a child arrived at a nearby hospital with gunshot wounds related to the original shooting. The child was transferred to another hospital and is currently in stable condition. Their injuries are life-threatening.

No one has been arrested but police said this was not a random shooting. Anyone who has information on the shooting is asked to call police.

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WGHP) — A 16-year-old is in police custody after a man was shot and killed at an apartment on West Cornwallis Drive in Greensboro, a Greensboro Police Department news release states.

On August 2, a 16-year-old male was charged with first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

GPD stated he was taken into custody Saturday and is being held in a juvenile detention center.

The girl that was shot in Rocky Mount died, too. The scum that shot her and the mother was a convicted felony and was arrested July 15 for felony assault on the mother, but was out of jail and still able to get a gun.

With respect to the above post, I think it is fair and pertinent to publicize the gun crime that happens every day that is often overlooked because it is so frequent and because it doesn't involve mass numbers of victims. Just a sampling from around North Carolina over the weekend:

"A 6-year-old child is in critical condition and his mother is dead after a domestic violence attack that spanned two counties on Sunday morning.
Law enforcement officers say Daquan Marcato Jones, 32, of 1301 Leggett Road in Rocky Mount, shot four people – a mother, her child, another woman and a man – before dawn in Sharpsburg."

A teenager was killed early Saturday morning in Goldsboro.
At 2:49 a.m., officers with the Goldsboro Police Department responded to an alert from the ShotSpotter gunfire detection system of multiple rounds fired in the 800 block of North Audubon Avenue.

When they arrived, officers found a 15-year-old girl who had been shot. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

DURHAM, N.C. (WTVD) -- A shooting in Durham Sunday left one dead and another injured.

It happened around 1 a.m. in the area of North Roxboro Street and West Club Boulevard.

When officers arrived, they found a man suffering from a gunshot wound. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A second man with a gunshot wound was found. He was taken to a hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

This appears to be an isolated incident, the Durham Police Department said, and more information will be released at a later time.

CHARLOTTE — Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police are investigating a homicide in west Charlotte.

A person was shot and killed in a shooting along Caronia Street, according to paramedics.

It happened shortly after 1 p.m. at an townhome community along Caronia Street.

SALISBURY, N.C. — One person is dead and a child is hurt after a shooting in Salisbury early Saturday morning, police said.

Crews arrived to a home on Rowan Mill Road around 5:30 a.m. where there were reports of shots fired. Police found a man who had been shot and was later pronounced dead at the scene.

Police later found out a child arrived at a nearby hospital with gunshot wounds related to the original shooting. The child was transferred to another hospital and is currently in stable condition. Their injuries are life-threatening.

No one has been arrested but police said this was not a random shooting. Anyone who has information on the shooting is asked to call police.

GREENSBORO, N.C. (WGHP) — A 16-year-old is in police custody after a man was shot and killed at an apartment on West Cornwallis Drive in Greensboro, a Greensboro Police Department news release states.

On August 2, a 16-year-old male was charged with first-degree murder and assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill inflicting serious injury.

GPD stated he was taken into custody Saturday and is being held in a juvenile detention center.
You’ve done ‘Bo-Time work, yeoman’s ‘Bo-Time work trying to show that gun deaths happen in the “urban” parts of North Carolina.

Why no mention of Robeson or Scotland Counties or Wilson or Kinston or even more sparsely populated areas? Rural areas typically have more per capita crime or per capita violent crime than “urban” areas.

You haven’t changed much, ‘Bo.

You’ve done ‘Bo-Time work, yeoman’s ‘Bo-Time work trying to show that gun deaths happen in the “urban” parts of North Carolina.

Why no mention of Robeson or Scotland Counties or Wilson or Kinston or even more sparsely populated areas? Rural areas typically have more per capita crime or per capita violent crime than “urban” areas.

Cedar grove on Orange County-just may well account for 50% of all murders in Orange County the last 50 years At like 1% of the population of Orange County

Salisbury is “urban” now? I simply went to the major news websites, which cover urban as well as rural areas, and grabbed anything that mentioned a shooting. If you don’t like the message, don’t attack the messenger. Seems as if you haven’t changed at all. Right out of the ZZL playbook…cover your eyes, plug your ears and hide from reality. Attacking me won’t change anything.

Cedar grove on Orange County-just may well account for 50% of all murders in Orange County the last 50 years At like 1% of the population of Orange County
Was there a shooting in Cedar Grove over the weekend? If not, moot point.

Salisbury is “urban” now? I simply went to the major news websites, which cover urban as well as rural areas, and grabbed anything that mentioned a shooting. If you don’t like the message, don’t attack the messenger. Seems as if you haven’t changed at all. Right out of the ZZL playbook…cover your eyes, plug your ears and hide from reality. Attacking me won’t change anything.
Salisbury has 35,000 residents and is Rowan County’s seat.

It sure as hell isn’t rural.

BTW, I put “urban” in quotes because little of North Carolina is actually urban - our two most populous cities are much more suburban than urban.

Back