Mass Shooting & Gun Violence catch-all | Kentucky Sheriff kills KY Judge in courthouse?

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 518
  • Views: 8K
  • Politics 
Where does the post you quoted say anything about assault weapons? And kids are dying from gang-related gun violence, which is something I addressed earlier. A cultural change is needed. A couple of generations ago, it was socially acceptable in large parts of the country to literally terrorize Black people, to hurl epithets at them and to legally segregate them. We still have racists, but they are nowhere near as prevalent as they were prior to and during the Civil Rights Movement. Southern White culture changed. We need to do the same thing to gang culture. Shun it, call it out until it is in the shadows rather than in the mainstream.
You didn’t address shit.

You blamed gangs for gun violence without any evidence to back up your claim.

Asking honestly...do we need to also shun gun culture? I think gun culture in magazines, websites, advertising, gun shows, etc is far more responsible for overall levels of gun violence than gang culture. I'm not even disagreeing about gangs, but I think that there are bigger fish to fry.

I'd be fine shunning both. Both are toxic.

You didn’t address shit.

You blamed gangs for gun violence without any evidence to back up your claim.
So you are arguing the disparity in juvenile homicides is due to racial rather than cultural differences? I don't think being born with a certain skin tone makes someone more or less prone to violence.

Asking honestly...do we need to also shun gun culture? I think gun culture in magazines, websites, advertising, gun shows, etc is far more responsible for overall levels of gun violence than gang culture. I'm not even disagreeing about gangs, but I think that there are bigger fish to fry.
I would argue that gang culture is in many ways just one form of gun culture (which is really a part of a greater "culture of violence") in the US.

So you are arguing the disparity in juvenile homicides is due to racial rather than cultural differences? I don't think being born with a certain skin tone makes someone more or less prone to violence.
I’ve consistently argued that poverty is the reason for the disparity.

You’ve consistently shifted the focus to gang culture.

I’ve consistently argued that poverty is the reason for the disparity.

You’ve consistently shifted the focus to gang culture.
Poverty is only part of the reason. The poverty rate amongst Black Americans is 21%. 10% for White Americans and Asians. So, you'd think that the violent crime rate for Black youth would be roughly twice that of White and Asian youth, but it is actually several times that. In 2020 (the most recent year I could find this data for), 58% of juveniles charged with murder were Black, 39% were White, and 1% were Asian. In 2020, the US was 59% White, 12.5% Black, and 6.3% Asian.

What
Where does the post you quoted say anything about assault weapons? And kids are dying from gang-related gun violence, which is something I addressed earlier. A cultural change is needed. A couple of generations ago, it was socially acceptable in large parts of the country to literally terrorize Black people, to hurl epithets at them and to legally segregate them. We still have racists, but they are nowhere near as prevalent as they were prior to and during the Civil Rights Movement. Southern White culture changed. We need to do the same thing to gang culture. Shun it, call it out until it is in the shadows rather than in the mainstream.
What? You think "shunning" gang culture will have any impact on the situation? Gangs are already shunned. In fact, gangs are a direct result of black Americans as a whole being shunned by white society.

Black families were by and large denied the right to participate in the American dream and buy suburban homes... the corner stone of middle class American wealth generation. Instead they were pushed into projects and left to rot.

Young black kids from the projects join gangs because it is the only place in American society where they are told they belong and will be treated like family. It's also the only "opportunity" where they live to gain money or power. Shunning them only reinforces the hold the gangs have over these kids.

What

What? You think "shunning" gang culture will have any impact on the situation? Gangs are already shunned. In fact, gangs are a direct result of black Americans as a whole being shunned by white society.

Black families were by and large denied the right to participate in the American dream and buy suburban homes... the corner stone of middle class American wealth generation. Instead they were pushed into projects and left to rot.

Young black kids from the projects join gangs because it is the only place in American society where they are told they belong and will be treated like family. It's also the only "opportunity" where they live to gain money or power. Shunning them only reinforces the hold the gangs have over these kids.
So apparently after a visit from the FBI about this kid making threats, the Dad bought a 14 year old kid an AR-15 for Christmas.

Can we have two separate threads? One for new news about shootings and one for gun control pissing matches?
We should. Bo has never been able to resist riling up the rest of the board on this topic... and the rest of the board has never been able to resist taking the bait. As long as there is not a separate gun control thread, Bo will hijack this one. He's proven that more times over than I can count.

What

Gangs are not shunned. You have people making tens of millions of dollars singing or rapping about murdering people and dealing drugs. If someone makes a song about being a Crip and shooting Bloods, they need to be canceled the same way someone would be if they boasted about being a racist or a Nazi.

At this point, I don’t really care if these guns are “that” powerful, or if you need them to hunt wild pigs, or whatever. They’re used in such a massively disproportionate number of mass killings that they need to be taken off the market immediately, if for no other reason than to slow down the copycats. That’s no where close to enough, of course, but it is literally insane to me that we still allow these particular guns to be sold in this country.
Given that historians have now discovered that private citizens owned weapons of war in the 18th century, this particular Supreme Court would probably strike down any assault rifle ban.

You’ve done ‘Bo-Time work, yeoman’s ‘Bo-Time work trying to show that gun deaths happen in the “urban” parts of North Carolina.

Why no mention of Robeson or Scotland Counties or Wilson or Kinston or even more sparsely populated areas? Rural areas typically have more per capita crime or per capita violent crime than “urban” areas.

You haven’t changed much, ‘Bo.

yes sir, It's Bo Time!

1725637142373.jpeg

Poverty is only part of the reason. The poverty rate amongst Black Americans is 21%. 10% for White Americans and Asians. So, you'd think that the violent crime rate for Black youth would be roughly twice that of White and Asian youth, but it is actually several times that. In 2020 (the most recent year I could find this data for), 58% of juveniles charged with murder were Black, 39% were White, and 1% were Asian. In 2020, the US was 59% White, 12.5% Black, and 6.3% Asian.

I don't think that arrest rates are going to be truly indicative of criminal activity per racial group.

Back