NC Zoo voted best zoo in the US

CarolinaFever

Honored Member
The NC Zoo was voted the best zoo in the country in the Newsweek Reader's Choice Awards. It also turned 50 years old recently.

Not sure I would have voted it the best. It's a shame it hasn't been funded better. All that land...

The NC Zoo was voted the best zoo in the country in the Newsweek Reader's Choice Awards. It also turned 50 years old recently.

I was just h the there Sunday. No damn way!

The NC zoo is great but "best in the country" seems like a stretch.

I was at the Atlanta zoo fairly recently and really liked it too. I would say the two are roughly equivalent.

"Reader's Choice." NC has a nice zoo. The NC Zoo has an absolutely top notch PR department. There are several YouTube series on the NC Zoo. So, I would say this is a "get out the vote" campaign that was both successful and seems consistent with the NC Zoo's social media presence. This is NOT a criticism, but a recognition of a job well done. Kudo's NC Zoo!

The NC zoo is great but "best in the country" seems like a stretch.

I was at the Atlanta zoo fairly recently and really liked it too. I would say the two are roughly equivalent.
I think they are similar in the animals they have, but the Atlanta zoo is smaller in size.

What makes those better? More animals?
Hands down, the most important factor that makes a zoo "better" is better habitats.

We all intuitively know this and that's why the "Readers Choice" award goes to the NC Zoo. It is in fact the best zoo in the US (at least based on my criteria) and I've been to the San Diego, Columbus, and Atlanta Zoos, if not in the last five years, in the last decade at least.

Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is also an excellent one - I may have liked it more than San Diego, but it's a close call.

Are these happy animals?
One minute at a zoo you're like "cool!". The next minute you're like "damn... what a crappy existence... better than dying in the wild painfully i guess..."

Hands down, the most important factor that makes a zoo "better" is better habitats.

We all intuitively know this and that's why the "Readers Choice" award goes to the NC Zoo. It is in fact the best zoo in the US (at least based on my criteria) and I've been to the San Diego, Columbus, and Atlanta Zoos, if not in the last five years, in the last decade at least.
I think the NC Zoo is the largest natural habitat zoo in the country.

Wow! Better than the Tregembo Animal Park (the old Tote-em-in Zoo) in Wilmington NC, on the way to Carolina Beach???

Are we sure this is legit????

😂

Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha is also an excellent one - I may have liked it more than San Diego, but it's a close call.
That's the only zoo I've ever heard of rivaling San Diego.

But I'll bet they're generating more clicks than if they'd named SD number one, like most other lists.

Back