NC Zoo voted best zoo in the US

We had a similar thread on this on the old ZZL. I think the biggest mistake North Carolina made was putting it in Asheboro instead of Raleigh or Charlotte. They did it because it was somewhat central and Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte all would have similar drives as well as providing some economic opportunities to a poor area of the state, but it doesn't have very much corporate support because it's kind of in the middle of nowhere.

If it was in Charlotte, you'd have Bank of America and Wells Fargo sponsoring half the exhibits, you'd have corporate parties generating revenue, and you'd have voters demanding it was properly funded. That's why you see most zoos in this country in or very near a large city.

Better than San Diego?!?!
The San Diego Zoo used to be the best, but it’s being invaded by too many animals coming over the border from Mexico, animals that none of the zoos in Mexico want. Make the San Diego Zoo Great Again!

My father was one of the lead Architects in the firm that designed the NC Zoo. He was also a civil engineer that helped add (make the design work) to the design process. He traveled to the SD Zoo and a few others in advance for ideas. When it opened in the 70s it was acclaimed for its open habitat design and grand scale at the time. It’s expanded over the years and is still a great Zoo

The NC zoo is great but "best in the country" seems like a stretch.

I was at the Atlanta zoo fairly recently and really liked it too. I would say the two are roughly equivalent.
Interesting. I was a little disappointed in the Atlanta Zoo when I was there in April. Other than Atlanta has pandas, think NC Zoo is far superior.

I think it is definitely a habitat thing for me and appreciate that aspect of NC. ATL is just so small in comparison.

Back