Pagers Explode Across Lebanon | Israel commences military strikes in Lebanon

Pagers aren't deadly weapons. There's not going to be a huge amount of shrapnel, and the explosion isn't going to be at high velocity. Moreover, people don't necessarily carry pagers near their vital organs. So I'd expect a lot of injuries and few deaths, which is what was reported.

The virtue of this attack was disrupting Hezbollah communications; making the Hezbollah operatives afraid of infiltration; and sure injuring some fighters can't hurt but I don't think it was the point of the attack. I'm no military strategist, though.
They’ll all be thinking twice tomorrow morning as they start their coffee makers.

I have no idea why Mossad decided this precise moment was the time to detonate these things, but if I’m Hezbollah, I’m questioning EVERYTHING right now.
Yep. This is genuine spy movie grade sabotage. Inflicting terror via unimaginable strategies must have Hezbollah giving their toilets side-eye, much less their computers, cells, tvs, drones, etc.

It’s good that you were able to confirm the identities of the dead and injured to ensure that it was “highly precise.”

Clown.
It has been reported across multiple media outlets across the world that the pagers targeted belonged to Hezbollah operatives. That's the definition of highly precise. Sorry to rain on your Israel-hating party.

Hezbollah has long touted secrecy as a cornerstone of its military strategy, forgoing high-tech devices to avoid infiltration from Israeli and US spyware.

In a televised address over six months ago, Secretary General Hassan Nasrallah called on Hezbollah members and their families in southern Lebanon, where fighting with Israeli forces across the border has raged for nearly a year, to forgo their cell phones.

“Shut it off, bury it, put it in an iron chest and lock it up,” he said in a speech in February. “Do it for the sake of security and to protect the blood and dignity of people.”

“The collaborator (with the Israelis) is the cell phone in your hands, and those of your wife and your children. This cell phone is the collaborator and the killer,” he went on to say in his fiery speech.

Unlike other non-state actors in the Middle East, Hezbollah units are believed to communicate through an internal communications network.

This is considered one of the key building blocks of the powerful group that has long been accused of operating as a state-within-a-state.

The pagers – for decades obsolete to most people in Lebanon – would have served to prompt Hezbollah members to contact one another through those phone lines.

In addition to causing a mass-casualty event across several parts of Lebanon, the apparent infiltration of those pagers, one step removed from their actual networks, will have rattled the Iran-backed group.

In its bid to escape Israel’s radar, its back-to-basics approach appears to have literally backfired in a way that they would have least expected.

Bad day to be a terrorist. At least now they can say that a lot of them are unarmed.

It makes me a feel dirty to say this, but this may be one of the most impressive military feats in history. They took out Hezbollah's entire communications network and injured their top 200 or so commanders in 1 hour. They probably couldn't believe how well this worked. Incredible secrecy had to be maintained or it would have been over in a second.

I don't see the point in it. We know that Israel can and will use Gaza and Hamas as their punching bag anytime they want to. I don't get the military necessity and it seems a pretty contemptuous way to treat a culture who holds grudges for generations.

I still don't know why we have to have both Israel and Saudi Arabia as allies.

Apparently Hezbollah ordered 3,000 pagers from a Taiwanese company. Israel must have intercepted the shipment at some point and embedded explosives in the pagers. The pagers were then distributed by Hezbollah to its operatives in Lebanon and Syria.

I don't see the point in it. We know that Israel can and will use Gaza and Hamas as their punching bag anytime they want to. I don't get the military necessity and it seems a pretty contemptuous way to treat a culture who holds grudges for generations.

I still don't know why we have to have both Israel and Saudi Arabia as allies.
Jesus and oil.

It makes me a feel dirty to say this, but this may be one of the most impressive military feats in history. They took out Hezbollah's entire communications network and injured their top 200 or so commanders in 1 hour. They probably couldn't believe how well this worked. Incredible secrecy had to be maintained or it would have been over in a second.
I agree. When i first heard it this morning i chuckled and said to myself, "damn, that's bad ass".

Like something out of The Wire Season 1. Pretty amazing spy movie type stuff, but also pretty scary thinking about a future of terrorism and warfare with technology and planning involved like this.

Apparently Hezbollah ordered 3,000 pagers from a Taiwanese company. Israel must have intercepted the shipment at some point and embedded explosives in the pagers. The pagers were then distributed by Hezbollah to its operatives in Lebanon and Syria.

So apparently they distributed 3000 land mines with "hopes" children etc wouldn't be harmed? Yeah that's a great idea but at some point you'd think someone would say "What about innocent bystanders?"
Just saying I think at this point it moves my needle closer to Palestinians than to murderous intelligence agencies. Not being a cult member...more of a Presbyterian I just can't fathom any religious groups thinking killing innocent people is a good idea?

There are plenty of religious groups in the middle east that not only think it is fine to kill innocent people, they try to do so.

There's even a dictator in Russia that has the full backing and support of the Eastern Orthodox (Christian) bishop over Russia's national church, to kill and rape civilians in Ukraine, and steal children to brainwash them against their homeland.

Religion does not have a real good history here, and the Bible has some scary stuff about how to treat people (enslaving them) from conquered lands.

There are plenty of religious groups in the middle east that not only think it is fine to kill innocent people, they try to do so.

There's even a dictator in Russia that has the full backing and support of the Eastern Orthodox (Christian) bishop over Russia's national church, to kill and rape civilians in Ukraine, and steal children to brainwash them against their homeland.

Religion does not have a real good history here, and the Bible has some scary stuff about how to treat people (enslaving them) from conquered lands.
So basically you're going with the talking heads "Same as it's always been" lyric.
Bless your heart try to remember that once upon a time you had empathy. Seek it out as those that still love you will love you more.

So apparently they distributed 3000 land mines with "hopes" children etc wouldn't be harmed? Yeah that's a great idea but at some point you'd think someone would say "What about innocent bystanders?"
Just saying I think at this point it moves my needle closer to Palestinians than to murderous intelligence agencies. Not being a cult member...more of a Presbyterian I just can't fathom any religious groups thinking killing innocent people is a good idea?
No, Hezbollah distributed 3,000 pagers to its terrorists that they wore on their hips or kept in their pocket. There is a reason that with a singular exception (a child who grabbed her dad’s pager) every single person wounded or killed has been an adult male….they are all Hezbollah operatives. That’s a 99.99% success rate and is unheard of in warfare, ever. If that tremendous success rate makes you sympathize with a terrorist group that blindly launches thousands of missiles into civilian areas, that is telling.

Back