People really don’t like Trump

I think there will be an enormous, collective sigh of relief when he dies (of natural causes, of course). The divisiveness in the country won’t go away, but it’s loudest bullhorn will be gone.

I think there will be an enormous, collective sigh of relief when he dies (of natural causes, of course). The divisiveness in the country won’t go away, but it’s loudest bullhorn will be gone.
Maybe. But the death of that blowhard Rush Limbaugh didn't really stop the Hannity's, Carlson's, etc., from propagating their shit.

Either "naturally grown" or a more deliberate construction, there will be an attempt to put forward a smoother, better speaking and much more insidious version of Trump in the future. You can see a fictional depiction of such a person briefly in the brilliant film of this year Civil War, and towards the end of the final season of the masterpiece series Succession.

The Republican Party of our time is ideologically locked into fascism, and we have seen what some have called the legal phase of fascism gain ground over many years now. All of this is going nowhere regardless of whether the Democratic Party wins this November.

Either "naturally grown" or a more deliberate construction, there will be an attempt to put forward a smoother, better speaking and much more insidious version of Trump in the future. You can see a fictional depiction of such a person briefly in the brilliant film of this year Civil War, and towards the end of the final season of the masterpiece series Succession.

The Republican Party of our time is ideologically locked into fascism, and we have seen what some have called the legal phase of fascism gain ground over many years now. All of this is going nowhere regardless of whether the Democratic Party wins this November.
Afraid you are correct.

Exactly. There will be plenty of Vances and DeSanti (plural for DeSantis) and Hawleys who will carry the Standard forward.

Unfortunately for the old guard GOP, their political brand “Republican” has been co-opted and lost down the Trumpian rabbit hole for good and forever. If history was going to be fair, then the likes of Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Michael Steele, Jeb Bush, John Boehner, George Will, all the folks in the Lincoln Project, all the folks with the Republicans for Harris team would be able to wrest control of their name and brand “GOP” and “Republican” from the Maga usurpers. But I’m afraid that’s NOT going to happen.

What’s left for these Lincoln Project folks? What new party brand name can they muster under? Libertarian? Start an entirely new political party?
Or continue to fight back against the MTGs and trump sycophants and take back their party and it’s name?

Last edited:
Exactly. There will be plenty of Vances and DeSanti (plural for DeSantis) and Hawleys who will carry the Standard forward.

Unfortunately for the old guard GOP, their political brand “Republican” has been co-opted and lost down the Trumpian rabbit hole for good and forever. If history was going to be fair, then the likes of Liz Cheney, Adam Kinzinger, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, Michael Steele, Jeb Bush, John Boehner, George Will, all the folks in the Lincoln Project, all the folks with the Republicans for Harris team would be able to wrest control of their name and brand “GOP” and “Republican” from the Maga usurpers. But I’m afraid that’s going to happen.

What’s left for these Lincoln Project folks? What new party brand name can they muster under? Libertarian? Start an entirely new political party?
Or continue to fight back against the MTGs and trump sycophants and take back their party and its name?
I agree with you that there are, and will be, republicans that continue to spout Trump’s bs - and many will have a much more polished veneer than Drumpf. And, there’sa large percentage of the Republican base that will vote for any of the above because of the magic R.

The real question is will the MAGA members that didn’t vote until Trump continue to turn out or will they go back to their basements? If they continue to show up, every election will be a vote to save democracy. If not, MAGA candidates will never win another national election and may struggle in statewide elections.

I agree with you that there are, and will be, republicans that continue to spout Trump’s bs - and many will have a much more polished veneer than Drumpf. And, there’sa large percentage of the Republican base that will vote for any of the above because of the magic R.

The real question is will the MAGA members that didn’t vote until Trump continue to turn out or will they go back to their basements? If they continue to show up, every election will be a vote to save democracy. If not, MAGA candidates will never win another national election and may struggle in statewide elections.
The real question is will the MAGA members that didn’t vote until Trump continue to turn out or will they go back to their basements?
This is my hope

Either "naturally grown" or a more deliberate construction, there will be an attempt to put forward a smoother, better speaking and much more insidious version of Trump in the future.
I wonder if the lab-grown Trump will be effective. Isn't Trump's buffoonery part of his appeal? They like him because he spouts lies and never knows what he's talking about.

They like him because he was "not a politician, not a Washington insider, a supposed successful bidnessman, because he promised to tear down the deep state and rid the gubment of the career politicians and institutions that maga dislikes". The buffoonery and chicanery was just an added bonus for the ruffians, rednecks and racists - but an unfortunate side-effect to the Country Club Pubs who wished trump would just keep his mouth shut at times. But yes, the buffoonery was part of his appeal to those who came out of the basement and out from under their rocks to vote - literally for the first time in their miserable lives.

I hope you guys don’t seriously think your media will tell you the biggest threat is gone when Trump dies. Hell, they were gearing up to paint Ron DeSantis as a more evil version of Trump if his campaign didn’t fall flat on its face.

Trust me, the next threat will always be portrayed as the biggest threat imaginable.

I hope you guys don’t seriously think your media will tell you the biggest threat is gone when Trump dies. Hell, they were gearing up to paint Ron DeSantis as a more evil version of Trump if his campaign didn’t fall flat on its face.

Trust me, the next threat will always be portrayed as the biggest threat imaginable.
And the next election "the most important ever "

Every Democrat is a left-of-Bernie Sanders communist Marxist pedophile groomer who wants to turn every child transgender. Every Republican is a fascist who wants to end American democracy once and for all and make us the 2024 version of Nazi Germany. The apocalyptic rhetoric from the extremist fringes of both parties is nauseating.

I think there will be a collective sigh of relief from 40% of the country and a collective wail of mourning from 40%. (And 20% really won't care either way.)

Back