Retirement

I think everyone should be able to retire between 50 and 60. 30 years of working is enough. Unfortunately, our society isn't made that way, and greed is still a thing.
Funny thing is that retirement is a fairly new concept in the human history. I understand pensions began in mid 1800's in the US, but i wonder if those folks actually stopped working. Retirement communities in Florida were a thing in the 20's apparently...

I retired at about 58 except for some extended consulting gigs and a moderate number of tax returns primarily for friends and family. It's been great and easing into it is a good plan. The biggest challenge is finding and paying for decent health insurance until you qualify for Medicare. I opted for a high deductible plan and an HSA. It worked out that I touched very little of the HSA and now have a sizable account that's done well in mutual funds that I can tap tax free if needed using all the receipts I've squirreled away.

One of the benefits of quasi-retirement: three trips in the next three months.First one up is a ten day stay in Durham, headed to watch basketball practices. Late in October headed for two weeks to Spain, and then a weeklong stay in Miami for Thanksgiving. The idea is to do remote work from all three spots.

Funny thing is that retirement is a fairly new concept in the human history. I understand pensions began in mid 1800's in the US, but i wonder if those folks actually stopped working. Retirement communities in Florida were a thing in the 20's apparently...
I would imaging that increased life expectancy is a variable.

With increased age we get to a point that some jobs we just can't do. Example, I'm no longer able to work loading moving trucks and I've decided that I'm not mentally or physically up to running for president. And I'm not nearly as old as one of the candidates. 😁

Back