The Day After (1983)

Threads was definitely shocking in its own way. The hospital scene in particular sticks with me even now. I recall another somewhat lesser-known movie which I saw on PBS with a young Jane Alexander (and a young Kevin Costner), called Testament. It was less graphic in its depiction of the actual bomb damage, but it was still gripping in that it focused upon how a small town in middle America dealt with the effects of having no more modern conveniences, food/water, utilities, and the inhabitants' eventual demise due to radiation poisoning.

Was great to see Buckley. an intelligent and thoughtful conservative. There were many many more like him until about 8 years ago when the Republican party died or was railroaded and overrun.

Thanks for posting.

It's on FX tonight for those who get that channel.
Er - unless I looked at the program guide wrong, it looks like The Day After Tomorrow is on FX tonight :) Still not a bad movie tho (shoutout - Emmy Rossum).

Found Threads (1984) for free on Tubi (with commercials, of course):
Tubi is the largest free movie and TV streaming service in the US. We are not available in Europe due to changes in EU laws.
or
on YouTube:

Threads Trailer:

Found Testament (1984) on the Internet Archive:

Testament Trailer:

I remember my parents making the whole family sit down and watch The Day After live. I remember it being very impactful at 8 years old. I don't remember anything about the movie itself... I know it was a post-apocalyptic nuclear fallout movie... but can't recall a single scene/character from it. Weird.

I don't remember which made for TV movie/movies in this genera they were, but there are two particular scenes that really stick in my mind.
1) In the aftermath, some government workers were explaining to the farmers that due to radioactive fallout, they needed to remove the top 20 inches of soil and only plant crops in what was beneath. And the farmers were like, you do know that crops only grow in topsoil and you scrap away the topsoil, nothing will grow in what is below?
2) In the aftermath, a farmer returned to his farm and found a bunch of drifters were cooking his milk cow on a spit over a fire. Thr farmer got mad and told them they had killed the only cow he had that could be bred to produce more cows. One of the drifters picked up a shotgun, killed the farmer, put the shotgun down, and returned to rotating the cow spit.

Damn, you're right. My bad.
I wasn't trying to be a dick. I remember watching it when I was 6 and not really knowing what I was seeing and then watching it when I was older (in college) and reading more about the reasons why they made it. It definitely helped the world not fire ICBMs at each other but it was definitely propaganda

Back