• Thread starter Thread starter TarSpiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 260
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 

TarSpiel

Distinguished Member
ZZL Supporter
This thread is for recipes and food tips. My idea for the thread is that it would only have 5 star recipes...stuff that isn't just good, but damn near perfect. I have a couple of those kinds of recipes I'll share. And in addition to really truly excellent recipes, helpful food tips you've learned along the way. I remember someone on the old zzl who said for steaks, just crank the grill up to white hot, 500-600 degrees, salt and pepper them, douse them in butter, and keep flipping and buttering them. I tried that on my big green egg and oh man...that's how I'll do it from now on.

My tip is this: Costco avocados are perfect for guacamole, the Haas ones come in a bag of 5. You'll need to wait a couple days for them to become fully ripe, but they're excellent, and make the perfect amount of guac.

Here's my recipe, for chili. It's a bit of work, but damn this is good chili:

Mix the spices: 1 tbsp paprike, 2 tsp each of chipotle powder, garlic powder, cumin, mustard powder, onion powder, hot smokes paprika; 1/2 tsp each cinnamon, sage, cayenne, white pepper; 1 clove

Put bean mixture in slow cooker - 4 cans of drained beans (any work, I prefer pinquitos), 1 14 oz can diced or crushed tomatoes; 1/4 cup cider vinegar, 2 tbsp soy sauce, 2 tbsp dark brown sugar, 2 tsp better than bullion (beef, of course), 1.5 tsp cocoa powder.

Heat oil in large skillet on medium; add one large diced onion (I usually go with white); season with salt and cook until it's softened and translucent, about 8 minutes.

Up the heat to medium high and add 2 pounds of ground beef and 8 or more minced garlic cloves; season with salt and cook until beef has lost its pink color, about 8-10 minutes. I usually add in some oyster sauce at this point too, oyster sauce brings out the flavor of beef really well.

Stir in a small can of tomato paste and cook for a minute or so, then stir in the spice mixture. Finally add in a bottle of beer (Modelo works well, any will do), scrape the bottom of the ban, cook for a bit, then stir into bean mixture in crock pot.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours, or however long you want.

Right before you're ready to serve, stir in about a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce.

I've made this chili often, and it's always super popular. Hope you like it!

Now...your turn :)

I cook by smell and feel, often measure many ingredients in the palm of my hand or by taste, so I'm terrible as sharing recipes. My SIL wanted my spaghetti sauce recipe and going back to read that text thread was hilarious ... I'm like "when the aroma draws people into the room to ask how much longer it will be, you'll know its time to add the next spice ..." and she's like "wait, what" but then later said that was exactly how it worked ... she knew to take the next step when the aroma made her family come in and ask how long and could they have a taste.

Chili sounds great -- I like to grill my veggies first, peel the skins off the various peppers, then blend the grilled onions, peppers, tomatillo and tomato with a little Pace Picante sauce for added liquid measure to make my base sauce (in lieu of tomato paste/sauce). I also cook the hot sausage and ground meat mix in a cast iron skillet on the grill so it gets some smoky tang to it. But your list of spices sound really good to me. I don't usually add Worcestershire sauce, will have to try it.

Chili sounds great -- I like to grill my veggies first, peel the skins off the various peppers, then blend the grilled onions, peppers, tomatillo and tomato with a little Pace Picante sauce for added liquid measure to make my base sauce (in lieu of tomato paste/sauce). I also cook the hot sausage and ground meat mix in a cast iron skillet on the grill so it gets some smoky tang to it. But your list of spices sound really good to me. I don't usually add Worcestershire sauce, will have to try it.

That little trick with grilling peppers, onions and tomatoes, then skinning them and putting them in a food processor (I'm guessing?)...that sounds so good. Do you do that for other recipes too, or just your chili?

That little trick with grilling peppers, onions and tomatoes, then skinning them and putting them in a food processor (I'm guessing?)...that sounds so good. Do you do that for other recipes too, or just your chili?
Yes, food processor, then usually run it through a not very fine mesh to strain it for texture. I sometimes do it to make my lasagna sauce base (different veggies ... more onions, garlic, sweet peppers). My chili does get raves, and I often freeze some to share later. Like you, I let it simmer for hours, which is key.

Honestly, it is really easy and gives a great depth of flavor to your dish. I've also done it making gumbo, though been a while since I made any gumbo because THAT is a time suck. Not as much as making risotto, because of the constant attention for risotto, but I find that gumbo is more time-intensive in terms of the simmer and attention required in between.

Edit to add that once you grill the peppers, the skins peel/can be scraped right off pretty easily. But I sometimes forget to wear gloves with the habanero (just get moving too fast, which I always regret ... I do make sure to get all the seeds out and toss them for the hot peppers so as not to kill anyone.

Honestly, it is really easy and gives a great depth of flavor to your dish. I've also done it making gumbo, though been a while since I made any gumbo because THAT is a time suck. Not as much as making risotto, because of the constant attention for risotto, but I find that gumbo is more time-intensive in terms of the simmer and attention required in between.

Edit to add that once you grill the peppers, the skins peel/can be scraped right off pretty easily. But I sometimes forget to wear gloves with the habanero (just get moving too fast, which I always regret ... I do make sure to get all the seeds out and toss them for the hot peppers so as not to kill anyone.

I've never made gumbo before, but I have made jambalaya...oh man, that would be incredible in jambalaya.

I'd have to be careful not to make it too spicy for my kid, because he loves to eat whatever we're eating...hmm. I'm going to have to think about this. Dang that sounds good. Did you say you grill a bunch of veggies, onions, and peppers, puree them, strain them, and then freeze that liquid for later?

Not quite -- grill the veggies (depending on your flavor profile, consider soaking some before grilling in beer or an earthy red wine), peel off the skins of peppers and tomatoes and tomatillos (if you use them), get the seeds out of the peppers, cut into reasonable slices to toss into a food processor, maybe add some picante or other liquid measure within the flavor profile to aid int he puree (not too much, like a few ounces), puree them, strain it into your meat/spice mix as the sauce for your chili and simmer as you usually do. Once you enjoy it fresh, any remaining chili itself can be frozen in individual servings for future use. I tend to cook large quantities so there is always left-over. Frozen single servings of Super Bowl chili can last me through to the ACC Tournament as a very tasty quick lunch that way.

Anyone ever done 'over the top' chili?

Untitled_20design_20_33.jpg

I used to teach Culinary Arts in High School. Served four different High Schools. Studied at Johnson and Wales (when it was still in Charleston) Also did summer workshops at the International Culinary School at The Art Institute in Charlotte. Serv Safe Certified. Hit me up for any tips on techniques, ingredients, substitutions, best practices, etc.

Anyone ever done 'over the top' chili?

Untitled_20design_20_33.jpg
I'm a novice smoker and have seen people smoke pork butts and such over chili but I figured I'd make a mess and something that'd taste bad.

Any pointers?

I used to teach Culinary Arts in High School. Served four different High Schools. Studied at Johnson and Wales (when it was still in Charleston) Also did summer workshops at the International Culinary School at The Art Institute in Charlotte. Serv Safe Certified. Hit me up for any tips on techniques, ingredients, substitutions, best practices, etc.

Actually, I think you were the one who told me how to cook a steak like that, high heat, turn often, butter often, is that right?

I'm a novice smoker and have seen people smoke pork butts and such over chili but I figured I'd make a mess and something that'd taste bad.

Any pointers?
Haven't tried it. Never want to go brave the grill when chili cooking weather strikes.

Actually, yea, I do have a quesion for you (or anybody else)...I have some frozen scallops I bought a while ago, and I don't really know what to do with them or how to cook them. Any suggestions?

Actually, yea, I do have a quesion for you (or anybody else)...I have some frozen scallops I bought a while ago, and I don't really know what to do with them or how to cook them. Any suggestions?
First, place in a colander and run some water over them and leave in sink to let them thaw out. Or, move to the refrigerator and let them thaw there overnight or a day or two.

Pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
In a nonstick sauté pan heat up equal parts olive oil and butter (real butter, Euro or Irish, or whatever high end real butter you can find) heat this on medium to medium low NOT ON HIGH OR MEDIUM HIGH).

While butter melts, sprinkle a healthy amount of paprika, bit of cayenne pepper, garlic powder (not garlic salt, but powder) into the pan on top of the butter/oil. Stir that in with wooden spoon. Now turn the heat up to med high. Once butter starts to bubble up pretty good, slightly turning brown, add the scallops. Don’t over crowd, but they can be touching sides. Sauté for about 60 seconds. Shake the pan and see if the scallops “break loose” and don’t stick to the bottom. Turn over and let cook another 20 or so seconds.

Remove from pan on to plate. Squeeze fresh lemon juice and white wine into pan, add another Pat of butter and whisk that together getting up any crusty bits stuck to bottom of pan. Taste, add S & P as desired. Pour pan sauce over scallops… garnish with whatever chopped fresh green you like - perhaps basil, cilantro or flat parsley. Serve with rice of choice. Green leaf side salad with vinaigrette and some toasted, Crusty Eurobread… baguette or whatever. Glass of dry white wine

Pad Thai - okay, it's a poor man's version that doesn't have 412 ingredients. But it's tasty.
8 ozRice Noodles
3garlic cloves
8 ozprotein of choice (chicken, shrimp, etc) - cut into small pieces
2 eggs
1 Cbean sprouts
1red bell pepper - thinly sliced
3green onions - chopped
1/2 Cdry roasted peanuts
oil
Bangkok seasoning (optional)
--can be purchased from penzeys.com

For Sauce
3 TbsFish Sauce
2 TbsSoy Sauce
3 TbsBrown Sugar
2 TbsTamarind paste (rice vinegar will work in a pinch)
2 Tbssirracha
2 Tbspeanut butter
1 Tbspchili paste

For Garnish
Lime wedges
cilantro
red pepper flakes
peanuts

1. cook noodles according to package directions
  2. In a bowl, add all ingredients for the sauce and stir until combined
  3. Add oil to wok
  4. cook egg and scramble - remove from wok
  5. add more oil and cook protein, red peppers, and garlic - add Bangkok seasoning if using
  6. add sauce, noodles, bean sprouts, peanuts
  7. Toss until thoroughly combined
  8. Plate and garnish
*If you can find ready to use tamarind liquid, use it. It doesn't taste as good, but much easier to work with. If using fresh tamarind or some pastes, you may need to soak in hot water to soften. Centerpiece can probably give pointers on working with tamarind.

Back