The Foodie Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter TarSpiel
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 261
  • Views: 3K
  • Off-Topic 
Actually, I think you were the one who told me how to cook a steak like that, high heat, turn often, butter often, is that right?
Perhaps, but I don't recall... but high heat and butter is can't miss. (Butter is the secret ingredient to a lot of stuff. 100% of all French cuisine has real butter as the "secret ingredient"... but definitely as a last addition to a steak)

I cook by smell and feel, often measure many ingredients in the palm of my hand or by taste, so I'm terrible as sharing recipes. My SIL wanted my spaghetti sauce recipe and going back to read that text thread was hilarious ... I'm like "when the aroma draws people into the room to ask how much longer it will be, you'll know its time to add the next spice ..." and she's like "wait, what" but then later said that was exactly how it worked ... she knew to take the next step when the aroma made her family come in and ask how long and could they have a taste.
My mother was the same. I don’t think she owned dry measuring cups or spoons. Nothing other than a liquid measuring cup.

It was frustrating when I got out on my own and I would call her to ask how to make certain dishes. She would give me a list of ingredients. Never any amounts, whether a pound of ground beef or a teaspoon of pepper. Never any amounts, it never occurred to her to measure things. She also never told me any times or temps to cook things. Fortunately I had three significantly older sisters that could provide some guidance after laughing about it for a while.

Best steak I have ever eaten was a prime filet I bought at Sam's. It was also the easiest cooking method I have ever utilized. It isn't new or revolutionary but I followed the instructions exactly and it wasn't close to perfect, it was perfect. The grade of meat is really important though. There is a big difference in Prime vs Choice. I don't ever buy steak unless its Prime.

let steak get to room temp
pat dry
season with just salt and pepper but season it well
put in oven on a rack at 250 until it reaches internal temp of 125 for med rare (thermometer is essential and you have to be precise)
heat cast iron pan to screaming
put in two tablespoons of butter, a bunch of rosemary and thyme sprigs tied together
sear steak for 1 minute on side 1 and then flip
while on side 2 baste with the butter for the entire minute
take out and let rest for 10 minutes covered with foil. Temp will rise to 130 during this time

Yes, its reverse searing but it is fool proof 100% of the time if you follow the simple directions. Its as easy as making pancakes.

I cook by smell and feel, often measure many ingredients in the palm of my hand or by taste, so I'm terrible as sharing recipes. My SIL wanted my spaghetti sauce recipe and going back to read that text thread was hilarious ... I'm like "when the aroma draws people into the room to ask how much longer it will be, you'll know its time to add the next spice ..." and she's like "wait, what" but then later said that was exactly how it worked ... she knew to take the next step when the aroma made her family come in and ask how long and could they have a taste.
1721870579819.png

What does this have to do with politics?

Oh, wait, we can talk about whatever we damn well please!
There are rules / restrictions on talking about or related to:
teaching law
legal briefs
SC justices
Wisdom of calling TOs to stop runs in bball games
circuit court justices
appellate court justices
magistrates
Ones degree of intelligence

So yea, you can talk about almost anything you want.

My wife the vegetarian asked “what is a smash burger?”
I said it’s a hamburger, hand patted and “smashed” on the griddle with a spatula.

She said, “you mean it’s just an old school hamburger like grandma used to make?”

Yeah, right much.

“So what’s the big deal?”

It’s no big deal…. you want some more salad?

Congrats on the new site. I am just playing with pics!
iu

I don't understand the appeal of these delivery apps. The food pretty much has to be cold by the time you get it.
I recall once when leaving for work there were 4 bags of McDonalds outside my door. I'm sure someone was really unhappy that they didn't get their food.

I'm looking for ideas to make mac and cheese creamer.
I've read several recipes. I found one that doesn't use a roux. Has anyone here made a mac and cheese without a roux?
This recipe uses no flour, :) adds the butter and cheese directly to the pasta.
My daughter's wife's birthday is this week, and we are going to make dinner for them on Friday. She requested mac and cheese, so any suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:
I'm looking for ideas to make mac and cheese creamer.
I've read several recipes. I found one that doesn't use a roux. Has anyone here made a mac and cheese without a roux?
This recipe uses no flower, adds the butter and cheese directly to the pasta.
My daughter's wife's birthday is this week, and we are going to make dinner for them on Friday. She requested mac and cheese, so any suggestions are welcome.
Do you have a smoker? Because I saw a recipe for a smoked Mac and cheese that sounded interesting although I can’t vouch for it as I haven’t eaten it.

Do you have a smoker? Because I saw a recipe for a smoked Mac and cheese that sounded interesting although I can’t vouch for it as I haven’t eaten it.
I’ve smoked mac-n-cheese a few times. It’s awesome.

Just remember that smoke is a spice. And like any spice, you can overdo it. First time I did it, all I could taste was smoke.

To the original poster,
make a roux
Stir in milk
Add a block of softened cream cheese
Add cheeses of your choice
Add some bacon if you desire

Back