The Gaming thread

• Thread starter Thread starter milom98
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 29
  • Views: 317

milom98

Exceptional Member
What are you currently playing and what's your gaming machine of choice?

I game on a Xbox Series X.

I'm a pretty boring gamer and usually get stuck playing some competitive type of game for years. About all I've played the last few years is Rocket League. Before that it was Call of Duty online multiplayer and before that it was Halo online multiplayer. I have messed around with Call of the Wild: The Angler and UNO with online friends a little bit recently but they get boring pretty quick for me.

I definitely had more variety in my gaming diet before getting into online multiplayer but online multiplayer brought out the competitor in me and I can't turn that off. Lol

Last edited:
NBA 2K. I like to play seasons and have a draft of all the players so I can get all the best players and make the teams even, and then trade all the ones on Charlotte with former Tar Heels. I end up with Jordan, Charlie Scott, Vince Carter, James Worthy, Bob McAdoo, Kenny Smith, Walter Davis, Billy Cunningham, Bobby Jones, Brad Daugherty, Stackhouse, Jamison and Danny Green on the team. Wish they had Sheed on the game.

Then I will make a roster where all the rest of the former Heels are available to play all the current players. I do the draft again and trade all the ones on Charlotte again for the Heels. That team has Coby White, Danny Green, Harrison Barnes, Cam Johnson, Brendan Haywood, Cole Anthony, Hubert Davis, Rick Fox, Sam Perkins, Day'Ron Sharpe, George Lynch, Reggie Bullock, and Nassir Little.

I’m about 70 hours into Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

I have played most games in the series
II
Brotherhood
Revelations
III
Black Flag
Unity
Syndicate
Origins
Odyssey

trying to catch up and get through this one and Mirage before the new one comes out.

Just an FYI for anyone interested in Diablo 4 on PC. Steam running a promo for free play through next week w/ 40% off purchase.

Pretty good for anyone looking to jump in prior to the October expansion (new class, new region, new endgame activities).

What are you currently playing and what's your gaming machine of choice?

I game on a Xbox Series X.

I'm a pretty boring gamer and usually get stuck playing some competitive type of game for years. About all I've played the last few years is Rocket League. Before that it was Call of Duty online multiplayer and before that it was Halo online multiplayer. I have messed around with Call of the Wild: The Angler and UNO with online friends a little bit recently but they get boring pretty quick for me.

I definitely had more variety in my gaming diet before getting into online multiplayer but online multiplayer brought out the competitor in me and I can't turn that off. Lol
Rocket League. On its face, It sounds dumb - cars playing soccer with a giant soccer ball. Once you start playing, it's incredibly entertaining and addicting. You can begin playing the game immediately with just a basic understanding of the controls and goal of the game, but there's so much more to it, as you'll see as you progress to higher rankings. Truly mastering the control of the vehicles and how it interacts with the ball takes thousands of matches and practice.

With young kids I don't really have much time to play the stuff I like to play (big-world sandbox games (think Skyrim, Fallout, etc) or fairly involved strategy games (like the Civilization series). Right now I mainly play:

--golf on Switch Sports
--Hearthstone on my tablet
--good old Age of Empires II online (the Definitive Edition they released a few years ago is very good and there's a pretty sizeable online community)

Rocket League. On its face, It sounds dumb - cars playing soccer with a giant soccer ball. Once you start playing, it's incredibly entertaining and addicting. You can begin playing the game immediately with just a basic understanding of the controls and goal of the game, but there's so much more to it, as you'll see as you progress to higher rankings. Truly mastering the control of the vehicles and how it interacts with the ball takes thousands of matches and practice.
I had never even heard of the game until a friend I game with mentioned with excitement that this super popular game on PC/PS4 was coming to Xbox (2016-2017?). I thought it sounded ridiculously dumb and more something a child would play but decided to give it a try because my friend was wanting to try it out. Long story short, he played it for maybe a month before moving on because he thought it was dumb and I've got countless hours and counting on it. lol I like the competitive aspect of the game and the skill/teamwork (my Halo multiplayer roots) required to be decent at the game.

I'm nothing special in the game and pretty much live in the mid Diamond to low Champion ranks.

I'm also enjoying College Football 25. The last football game I played was 10 years ago with NCAA 14 (and I've largely lost interest in college football as a whole the last several years)

Some minor complaints though. They've made defense close to impossible, with the exception of the super-human DBs who intercept and return for a TD almost everything they get their hands on. And open field tackling? I'd stand a better chance at making some of those in real life

Also, the option controls are terrible. Why make them the exact opposite of how they've always worked. Still a very fun game overall and hopefully piques my interest a bit for the upcoming season

--good old Age of Empires II online (the Definitive Edition they released a few years ago is very good and there's a pretty sizeable online community)
I had no idea this was a thing. I loved AoE 2 & 3.

I have a hard time with the modern games, just don't have the time to learn and master them. The older games I can pick up and run with though. This discovery could be very bad for me. Just wish it had a Mac option.

I had no idea this was a thing. I loved AoE 2 & 3.

I have a hard time with the modern games, just don't have the time to learn and master them. The older games I can pick up and run with though. This discovery could be very bad for me. Just wish it had a Mac option.
Nice! I definitely will always have a soft spot for AOE II because I loved playing it as a teenager. Fair warning, playing online will have a fairly steep learning curve, at least if you're playing on the ranked ladder (though within a dozen games or so you should be matched with fairly equivalent players). There are some great content creators whose videos, including instructional videos for newer players and just entertaining streams of other games, are easy to find on YouTube - T90Official and Hera are among the best.

But also, if you were like me as a teen and just liked to play all the single-player campaigns and scenarios, all that stuff is still there (plus new content too).

I’m about 70 hours into Assassin’s Creed Valhalla.

I have played most games in the series
II
Brotherhood
Revelations
III
Black Flag
Unity
Syndicate
Origins
Odyssey

trying to catch up and get through this one and Mirage before the new one comes out.
I started Valhalla but, IMO, it's not an AC game AT ALL. It felt more like RDD than a AC game so I quit after a few hours

I also didn't like odyssey. While the graphics were amazeballs the game itself was...meh...

Loved Ii, IIII, Syndicate, Brotherhood, Unity & Origins. After being underwhelmed with Odyssey and Valhalla (which I pre-ordered) I decided to do a wait and see for Mirage because it's an expanded side quest and didn't look all that spectacular.

Just an FYI for anyone interested in Diablo 4 on PC. Steam running a promo for free play through next week w/ 40% off purchase.

Pretty good for anyone looking to jump in prior to the October expansion (new class, new region, new endgame activities).
Thanks for letting me know about this. For whatever reason, I just never got into games like this. I mostly play FPS (CS, TF2, Quake, Unreal Tournament) with the occasional game like Sea of Thieves or Tears of the Kingdom.

I've always wanted to try it and it being free is reason enough!

Back