The Gaming thread

• Thread starter Thread starter milom98
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 29
  • Views: 317
Wonky simulations (e.g. Command Modern Operations, Dwarf Fortress, Combat Mission, Kerbal, etc.), grand strategy (e.g Stellaris, Hearts of Iron 4, Crusader Kings 3, Europa Universialis 4, etc.), turn based strategy games (e.g Dominions 5, Masters of Magic, Fantasy General, Civ, etc.) and turn based tactical (e.g. all the XCOM games).

Not really sure how much of that qualifies as "gaming" for the purposes of this thread, tbh.

Got bored and decided to replay the Mass Effect series (Legendary Edition on PS5). I love the Witcher 3 and Skyrim. I like games with a great story and an open world. Never really got into Mass Effect Andromeda.

Got bored and decided to replay the Mass Effect series (Legendary Edition on PS5). I love the Witcher 3 and Skyrim. I like games with a great story and an open world. Never really got into Mass Effect Andromeda.
I tried to get into Witcher 3, but couldn't. It didn't hurt that it was around the time I had my first kid. It was just a little too complicated/detailed for me, compared to stuff liek Skyrim and Fallout.

Thanks for letting me know about this. For whatever reason, I just never got into games like this. I mostly play FPS (CS, TF2, Quake, Unreal Tournament) with the occasional game like Sea of Thieves or Tears of the Kingdom.

I've always wanted to try it and it being free is reason enough!
It's a lot of fun, even if you're just playing for the campaign.

I started Valhalla but, IMO, it's not an AC game AT ALL. It felt more like RDD than a AC game so I quit after a few hours

I also didn't like odyssey. While the graphics were amazeballs the game itself was...meh...

Loved Ii, IIII, Syndicate, Brotherhood, Unity & Origins. After being underwhelmed with Odyssey and Valhalla (which I pre-ordered) I decided to do a wait and see for Mirage because it's an expanded side quest and didn't look all that spectacular.
I’m surprised if you hated Odyssey and Valhalla that you liked Origins. They’re all RPGs like Red Dead (which I also love).

I did like the stealth games better than the RPG versions, but I really liked Odyssey.

I’m surprised if you hated Odyssey and Valhalla that you liked Origins. They’re all RPGs like Red Dead (which I also love).

I did like the stealth games better than the RPG versions, but I really liked Odyssey.
I probably liked it because it was the first AC game that came out after several years of not having one.

You're right it is an RPG but, IMO, it's more of a hybrid because it also had the stealth and climbing acrobatics.

I too recently completed the Mass Effect Legendary series. Having a ps5, the yesteryear graphics and gameplay took some getting use to, but if you like sci fi it’s one of the better stories out there, irrespective of media.

I typically play soulslike. I’ve completed Demon Souls, all Dark Souls, Nioh, Bloodborne, and currently working on Nioh2. Elden Ring is probably next, as the criticisms of the new College Football game hit right where I’d notice the most, so I’ve decided to bail on this year.

I’ve also completed multiple play throughs of The Last of Us parts one and two, though I feel exhausted at the conclusions.

I tend to avoid the Civ and Baldurs Gate style immersions, bc I think I might get too into it.

I too recently completed the Mass Effect Legendary series. Having a ps5, the yesteryear graphics and gameplay took some getting use to, but if you like sci fi it’s one of the better stories out there, irrespective of media.

I typically play soulslike. I’ve completed Demon Souls, all Dark Souls, Nioh, Bloodborne, and currently working on Nioh2. Elden Ring is probably next, as the criticisms of the new College Football game hit right where I’d notice the most, so I’ve decided to bail on this year.

I’ve also completed multiple play throughs of The Last of Us parts one and two, though I feel exhausted at the conclusions.

I tend to avoid the Civ and Baldurs Gate style immersions, bc I think I might get too into it.
Man, I don’t know how you played through The Last of Us 2 more than once. I found it really difficult to play through the end of that game because the story was so brutal. I just wanted it to end with Ellie in the farmhouse with her family. After that I was playing more out of a sense of obligation to finish rather than enjoyment. Even moreso than the first game I was just so upset about the choices the characters were making. And by making you play both “sides” of the story that game really just repeatedly gut-punches you. When you first switch and suddenly you’re petting the dogs you were just stabbing to death for hours…man.

Man, I don’t know how you played through The Last of Us 2 more than once. I found it really difficult to play through the end of that game because the story was so brutal. I just wanted it to end with Ellie in the farmhouse with her family. After that I was playing more out of a sense of obligation to finish rather than enjoyment. Even moreso than the first game I was just so upset about the choices the characters were making. And by making you play both “sides” of the story that game really just repeatedly gut-punches you. When you first switch and suddenly you’re petting the dogs you were just stabbing to death for hours…man.
I only played part two a second time for a story refresh (on easiest mode with reduced gore). At the time, I was on boards discussing the show, and lots of conversation would, expectedly, bleed into part two.

Spoiler alert:
Like you, I had a rough go with the second Ellie stint. In fact, once I hit the theater fight, I put the game on the easiest mode in order to speed up the conclusion. I was exhausted. The gameplay and graphics are awesome, but damn if the story isn’t a bit sadistic. After Mel goes down I googled if Neil Druckerman is a known sociopath.

Fair point. And I probably enjoyed Origins more than any other game in the entire series.

Back