The NOT Drinking Thread

lawtig02

Esteemed Member
One of the few threads I miss from IC was the not drinking thread on the ZZL. I 100% support those who want to talk about what they’re drinking on the other thread. But as one who has stopped recently, I REALLY love hearing from those who do not. So here’s a thread for that.

What NA drinks do you most enjoy?

Any struggles with avoiding alcohol?

Any stories you want to share?

Please feel free to hide this thread if you’re not interested. It’s just something I think about a lot, and I have a feeling it could be a good part of this incredible community.

I’m trying to mix in more NA beers to cut back on the A ones, and have really taken a liking to the hazy and standard IPAs from Athletic. Also nice that they’re 1/2 to 1/3 the calories of a standard IPA. Also their Beligian Wit is absolutely true to style, I just don’t happen to like the style

Most NA beers I’ve had from Untitled Arts have been really good too

I'm with you. Have fun on the other thread. I still have the occasional drink but it's not nearly as important as it used to be and thank goodness for that. I was definitely heading down the wrong road when it came to my alcohol use but pulled it back and I'm really happy I did.

I like to mix the La Croix tangerine seltzer with blood orange juice. Or the Black Razzberry with Boathouse Farms Blue Goodness.

I pour a 12 oz can of the seltzer into a pint glass, and top it off with the fresh fruit juice. Very light and refreshing in the summer.

I’m trying to mix in more NA beers to cut back on the A ones, and have really taken a liking to the hazy and standard IPAs from Athletic. Also nice that they’re 1/2 to 1/3 the calories of a standard IPA. Also their Beligian Wit is absolutely true to style, I just don’t happen to like the style

Most NA beers I’ve had from Untitled Arts have been really good too
Athletic is a godsend

I think somebody mentioned on the IC thread something about non-alcoholic hop water. I've seen it around but haven't tried it yet..

I think somebody mentioned on the IC thread something about non-alcoholic hop water. I've seen it around but haven't tried it yet..
It’s terrific. Especially for summer. I’ve found it to be the perfect thing for grilling, outdoor gatherings, etc. And lots of flavor options.

I was at The Crunkleton last week and they recommended this:

They made me a drink was in the direction of a Manhattan. Unfortunately none of the no alcohol liquor substitutes can get the burn correct. This one had more than most, and for folks that don't normally drink whisky straight, it's probably just fine. For me, I want a lot more burn.

i'm not a teetotaler but drink much, much less than i used to.....

i'm a big fan of a lot of the seltzers......i have a variety of flavors of bubly, lacroix and waterloo in the fridge now.

the strawberry, raspberry and blackberry bublys and the lacroix peach/pear and coconut are my favorites.

the tasty flavors and carbonation can almost trick you into thinking you're having an adult bev treat.

My wife doesn't drink any more and has recently grown more fond of the NA hoppy seltzers (eg Sierra Nevada Hop Splash) than the NA beers (eg Athletic Brews).

I'm curious to hear non-drinkers' takes on kombucha.
I’m a drinker, but I also really like Kombucha. My wife and I usually pick up 2 or 3 each at the grocery store each week. You just have to be cautious about the ingredients. A lot of them are relatively healthy, but some of them have a ton of sugar.

I’ve cut drinking back quite a lot over the last year. Used to be a one bottle of cab or red blend per week, and a couple of beers/week when out to dinner. I’ve since cut at home drinking down to about 1-2 pints per month and have two pilsners or rice lagers per week when out to eat.

I’ve found Hoplark teas serve as a good “special” drink stand-in, though they’re pricy. If having one in the evening, their chamomile version is a nice wind down.

Last edited:
i'm not a teetotaler but drink much, much less than i used to.....

i'm a big fan of a lot of the seltzers......i have a variety of flavors of bubly, lacroix and waterloo in the fridge now.

the strawberry, raspberry and blackberry bublys and the lacroix peach/pear and coconut are my favorites.

the tasty flavors and carbonation can almost trick you into thinking you're having an adult bev treat.
Have you tried the new LMNT seltzers? Expensive, but if you like salty,
Hungry Episode 11 GIF by The Simpsons

Athletic is a godsend
I tried the IPA and the hazy based on recommendations in the ZZL thread. It was drinkable, but the mouthfeel was a little odd and the finish very short.

Still, not a bad proposition for those looking for an NA option and a damn sight better than typical NA beers.

1. Cannibis >> alcohol. I'm around 50 years old give or take a couple, and my wife is north of 50. When the kids aren't here, we have sex between five to seven nights a week, and it's glorious sex too. Best of my life, and it's not even close. Cannibis makes that happen. Trick is to not use at any other time.

2. I haven't had a drink of alcohol in a quarter-century. Not because I had a drinking problem per se, but rather my body just stopped tolerating it. I always had some problems tolerating it, I guess, but it got the point where a single beer or glass of wine could make me throw up for hours. I wasn't drunk. My stomach just revolted.

Unfortunately, I'm not a lot of help on this thread (except for point 1). I hate the taste of beer and I don't like coffee either. I pretty much go with diet soda -- with caffeine during the day, caff-free at night. I'm pretty happy with that, although I'm increasingly irked at the soda companies' flavor stinginess.

In the first decade of this century, I enjoyed Vanilla Diet Pepsi. If not Vanilla, Wild Cherry. There was also a short-lived flavor set called "Jazz" that featured a Cherry Vanilla flavor and a Caramel Cream one too. Well, Jazz disappeared after a year or two. Vanilla was phased out a decade ago. So I've been on Wild Cherry . . . . and now that's been discontinued in the 2 liter size. I mean, really? Usually the story of Big Food is that choices increase over time. Companies are constantly putting out new products. You can buy Cinnamon Toast Crunch everything now, not just cereal. There's Raisin Bran, and Raisin Bran Crunch, and a yogurt-covered raisin Raisin Bran. But Diet Pepsi is . . . only Diet Pepsi.

I guess they have Pepsi Zero but that shit gives me a headache for some reason and also it has way more caffeine.

My favorite non-alcoholic drink: 1 part grape juice, 1 part unsweetened, decaffeinated ice tea, and 1 part lemon lime seltzer water. Delightfully refreshing in the summer. And a bit lower in calories than what my grandmother made in my youth: 1 part grape juice, 1 part sweetened tea, and 1 part lemonade

Back