Thread for legal discussion by non-lawyers

• Thread starter Thread starter superrific
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 12
  • Views: 193
  • Off-Topic 

superrific

Honored Member
If you would like to talk about law stuff, and court stuff, and you do not meet the criteria for the thread for lawyers, this thread is for you. I will check in from time to time if anyone cares, but this is a great place for people to engage in banter that is unconnected from actual legal principles.

Go for it

You are breaking my constitutional rights enshrined in the first amendment by suggesting I cannot post in the other thread for lawyers only. Can I sue you?

To be clear, the other thread is open for people genuinely interested in legal discussion. It's not for lawyers ONLY. It just has to be respectful and not full of people who know nothing pretending as if they are experts.

Understand. I was attempting to be humorous because people often seem to misunderstand what the first amendment means/does. I appreciate you attempting to cultivate good legal discussion as a non-lawyer. I am fascinated by it.

Understand. I was attempting to be humorous because people often seem to misunderstand what the first amendment means/does. I appreciate you attempting to cultivate good legal discussion as a non-lawyer. I am fascinated by it.
Yeah, I got the joke. That particular misunderstanding is so mind-boggling to me. It's just not a hard concept to grasp, in my view. Your post also made me realize that my previous post wasn't fully inclusive of the conversations that would be welcome.

To be clear, the other thread is open for people genuinely interested in legal discussion. It's not for lawyers ONLY. It just has to be respectful and not full of people who know nothing pretending as if they are experts.
So you’re saying some subset of people but essentially all of the magabots?

(I couldn’t resist )

So you’re saying some subset of people but essentially all of the magabots?

(I couldn’t resist )
I think he's saying you can either be a lawyer or a non lawyer that agrees with him if you would like to participate in the other thread. If you are a non lawyer with a different opinion or you would prefer to discuss legal matters without reading through multiple chapter posts, you get to use this thread.

I think he's saying you can either be a lawyer or a non lawyer that agrees with him if you would like to participate in the other thread. If you are a non lawyer with a different opinion or you would prefer to discuss legal matters without reading through multiple chapter posts, you get to use this thread.
I fully understand that.

Can I get comment on this case as it affects my hometown so I'm wondering if I'm about to lose trash service weekly. Joking of course.

Terrence Shannon was the Illinois star player that was falsely accused of rape and held out for a bit until he sued and was allowed to play again. It appears to have cost him a bit in the draft.

Can I get comment on this case as it affects my hometown so I'm wondering if I'm about to lose trash service weekly. Joking of course.

Terrence Shannon was the Illinois star player that was falsely accused of rape and held out for a bit until he sued and was allowed to play again. It appears to have cost him a bit in the draft.

Knowing almost nothing about the laws in Kansas or the specific facts alleged, I would consider it unlikely that Mr. Shannon has a winning case. He might get a settlement. This strikes me more as an anger lawsuit than a considered one, but again, I don't know the facts so I'm just going on the general difficulty of winning on a malicious prosecution claim.

Knowing almost nothing about the laws in Kansas or the specific facts alleged, I would consider it unlikely that Mr. Shannon has a winning case. He might get a settlement. This strikes me more as an anger lawsuit than a considered one, but again, I don't know the facts so I'm just going on the general difficulty of winning on a malicious prosecution claim.
Our district attorney is woefully incompetent and was just voted out as the incumbent only getting 9%. She has numerous complaints against her and has done a bunch of incredibly unethical things. There was a perception she pursued this to try and get headlines for her bid to save her job.

But, I don't know that being incompetent helps as you said.

Hey! This is a thread for non-lawyers. Pipe down.

Back