Trump Criminal & Civil Cases & Assassination Attempt News | Sentencing Delayed to after election

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 112
  • Views: 3K
  • Politics 
Interestingly, the brief doesn't ask for the case to be reassigned. I don't know if that's a motion that would get filed after the decision is reversed; if the prosecutors are relying on the judges to raise it sua sponte (which is possible but a risky strategy), or if Jack Smith is planning on filing in a different court. I've seen speculation that he might refile the case in DC -- but I think he would have to get this dismissal appealed away first. Otherwise there could be double jeopardy problems, at least in SCOTUS' view.
Maybe they are hoping to soft glove it by relying on amicus briefs.

Let's hope so.
This quote from the motion for leave was interesting:

The Special Counsel’s opening brief on appeal does not request reassignment of the case on remand. This may reflect an assessment of risks and benefits that does not apply to the amici. The proposed amici brief therefore will play a unique role in helping the Court craft an appropriate remand, if the Court reverses the judgment

Chutkan says 2024 election ‘not relevant’ in deciding Trump criminal case timeline​

The judge declined to set a new trial date but appeared inclined to give prosecutors a chance to lay out damaging evidence against Trump in the next few weeks.

"...During her first significant foray into the case since a fight over presidential immunity reached the Supreme Court and waylaid the proceedings for nine months, Chutkan declined to consider setting a new trial date, calling it an “exercise in futility.” Numerous pretrial disputes first need to be resolved, and both sides say they expect another appeal to freeze the case once again.

However, Chutkan appeared inclined to give prosecutors a chance to lay out damaging evidence against Trump within the next few weeks — a timeline that would coincide with the ramp-up of early voting and the critical final weeks of the presidential campaign.

That possibility met fierce pushback from Trump’s attorney, John Lauro, who said it would permit prosecutors to “load up” the public record with damaging information “at this very sensitive time in our nation’s history.” ..."

(continued)

"...The bulk of Thursday’s argument focused on prosecutors’ request to resolve the immunity issue quickly and in one fell swoop — knowing that Trump will once again force a delay by appealing any adverse ruling — rather than in piecemeal phases. Lauro, on the other hand, urged Chutkan to consider first whether Trump’s conversations with former Vice President Mike Pence — key evidence at the heart of the case — is immune from being admitted as evidence, a determination they say is fatal to the entire indictment.

Lauro said prosecutors took a “calculated risk” by relying so heavily on the Pence conversations in their case against Trump. Prosecutors have alleged that Trump’s pressure on Pence to reject the Electoral College results on Jan. 6, 2021, was a part of a broader conspiracy to subvert the election.

“They’re going to lose that bet, one way or another,” Lauro said. ...

When Lauro described the Supreme Court’s ruling on presidential immunity as “crystal clear,” Chutkan chuckled audibly. Many legal experts have complained that the ruling is rife with uncertainties and leaves numerous key questions unresolved.

Lauro’s complaint that the prosecution’s proposal exhibited “fundamental unfairness never before seen in a district court” prompted a visible eye roll and head shake from Chutkan, who at other times rested her head in her hands and looked bored with some of Lauro’s more inflammatory remarks...."

Well that should be fun. Won’t make the case proceed before the election, but should make for some good legal geek reading.
More importantly, it is expected to result in disclosure of a lot of evidence presented to the grand jury.

Just my opinion but I do think you might be able to galvanize some voters by saying if Trump wins the election he will duck all accountability but if he loses, he just might be held accountable once and for all.

But, who knows.
Given the reality of today, I think we need to give up the ghost on holding Trump accountable for any crimes no matter whether he wins or loses in November.

Last edited:
Honestly the delay is good for Harris. MAGAs get motivated with this shit. He thrives from the victim complex. This gives him one less martyr moment before the election

Given the reality of today, I think we need to give up the ghost on holding Trump accountable for any crimes no matter whether he wins or loses in November.

If Trump loses in November, there is a very good chance he spends the rest of life in jail or home confinement. He won't get a lot of time for the NY case, but he is going to need to get very lucky with juror nullification to win/hang the documents case and one of the two Jan 6th cases may be able to get by the Supreme Court.

He was already found guilty on all counts, BTW. But sentencing was delayed.

Back