Trump "open" to giving RFK Jr. a job in his Administration (if RFK Jr. drops out of the race)

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 31
  • Views: 718

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter
Bit of a backtrack by Trump, but whatever it takes, I guess ...

Trump says he’d consider appointing RFK Jr. to role in administration​

"Donald Trump said Tuesday he would “certainly” be open to Robert F. Kennedy Jr. playing a role in his administration if the independent candidate drops out of the 2024 race and endorses the former president.

“I like him, and I respect him,” Trump told CNN’s Kristen Holmes in an interview after a campaign stop in Michigan.

“He’s a brilliant guy. He’s a very smart guy. I’ve known him for a very long time,” the Republican presidential nominee said. “I didn’t know he was thinking about getting out, but if he is thinking about getting out, certainly I’d be open to it.”
https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/20/politics/robert-kennedy-nicole-shanahan-donald-trump-endorsement
Trump’s comments came after Kennedy’s running mate, Nicole Shanahan, said on a podcast posted Tuesday that the Kennedy campaign is considering dropping out of the race and endorsing Trump. She described the decision as intended to reduce “the risk” that Vice President Kamala Harris defeats Trump.

Asked if he would consider appointing Kennedy to a role in his administration if he wins in November, Trump said he “probably would.”

“I like him a lot. I respect him a lot,” Trump said. “I probably would, if something like that would happen. He’s a very different kind of a guy — a very smart guy. And, yeah, I would be honored by that endorsement, certainly.”

The former president also downplayed the potential for backlash from Republicans for appointing Kennedy, who has taken a number of progressive positions.

“I like smart people, and Republicans like me,” Trump said. ..."

----
Such a risk that Kennedy sought a job in a Harris Administration just a week or so ago?

CNN burying the lede...

"Trump’s comments came after Kennedy’s running mate, Nicole Shanahan, said on a podcast posted Tuesday that the Kennedy campaign is considering dropping out of the race and endorsing Trump. She described the decision as intended to reduce “the risk” that Vice President Kamala Harris defeats Trump."

I'm honestly somewhat worried about this. Like the Conheads in Succession, RFK has an actual, devoted following of somewhere between 0.5%-1.5% of voters. It's significant if they all swing to Trump.

I'm honestly somewhat worried about this. Like the Conheads in Succession, RFK has an actual, devoted following of somewhere between 0.5%-1.5% of voters. It's significant if they all swing to Trump.
I was going to see if I could find the numbers myself but yeah, I wonder the math behind RFK dropping out but I have to think it hurts Harris. Possibly a bit.

I was going to see if I could find the numbers myself but yeah, I wonder the math behind RFK dropping out but I have to think it hurts Harris. Possibly a bit.
There’s really no way to know, as RFK voters are probably the most illogical, unpredictable part of the electorate, but I bet the impact will be extremely small. It’s telling that RFK supporters were not already behind Trump. He’s their natural home, but there’s obviously something about him they can’t stand. I have a feeling most of them will just sit it out, and the ones that realign will divide fairly evenly between Trump and Kamala.

Back