Tyreek Hill and Scottie Scheffler

• Thread starter Thread starter theel4life
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 326
  • Views: 4K
  • Sports 
You are the one who claimed that medical gloves aren't worn to protect the wearer, and then tried to laugh at me for stating otherwise.
Actually, I was more laughing about the part about the kitchen knife, which you have conveniently ignored because it doesn't fit your post-hoc googled explanation. I was also laughing at the analogy of a police officer to a surgeon, which is -- to put it kindly -- inapt. That you also implied that surgical gloves primarily exist to protect the doctor was merely the cherry on top.

Any further discussion on this point would go on the take it outside thread, so if you care to continue it, I can meet you there if I feel that it is important.

Actually, I was more laughing about the part about the kitchen knife, which you have conveniently ignored because it doesn't fit your post-hoc googled explanation. I was also laughing at the analogy of a police officer to a surgeon, which is -- to put it kindly -- inapt. That you also implied that surgical gloves primarily exist to protect the doctor was merely the cherry on top.

Any further discussion on this point would go on the take it outside thread, so if you care to continue it, I can meet you there if I feel that it is important.
I'll simply close with this before moving on:

Medical gloves are examples of personal protective equipment used to protect the wearer and/or the patient from the spread of micro-organisms that may potentially cause infection or illness during medical procedures and examinations. Medical gloves are one part of an infection-control strategy.

But, you are right about the fact that there is no need to get sidetracked further on this.

Super, did you see my post and link on last page, 13, specifically pertaining to FL and traffic stops in general? Your thoughts please, as I value your expertise and opinion immensely.

I am not going to weigh in on the legal matters as I am not qualified to do so.

That being said, Hill's response to the police was out of line and confrontational from the very beginning. It was the behavior of a person who considers himself above the police. It is the opposite of how all of us were trained to react around police.

Super, did you see my post and link on last page, 13, specifically pertaining to FL and traffic stops in general? Your thoughts please, as I value your expertise and opinion immensely.
I appreciate that. I did see the post with the link in it. I don't think it's reliable. In my experience, quora is an extremely unreliable source that I would never, ever rely on. Nothing about that guy's bio inspires confidence.

I didn't see your post prior to that, or if I did, I didn't read it. To be honest, I'm really not the right guy to ask about traffic stops. I don't know the details about the law there -- only that it varies from state to state. In general, the law of traffic stops is absurdly intricate and it shouldn't have to be that way.

I've read it now. I would think that a person does in fact have to put down their window if asked. I'm not 100% sure about that, but it seems reasonable and reasonableness is the touchstone of all search and seizure law.

I would offer a tiny correction to your conclusion, which I otherwise agree with: "the proper action would have been for the cop to detain him, not arrest him." And because, again, the law is ridiculous here, I will qualify that by saying that I'm not sure if "detain" is the technically accurate term here. After all, the mere stopping of the car detains him. Anyway, IIRC, the whole "step out of the car" thing is not an arrest. It's something less, and I think that's what you have in mind. If he was arrested, they would be required to Mirandize him, and I don't think you are suggesting that it should have gone that far.

That being said, Hill's response to the police was out of line and confrontational from the very beginning. It was the behavior of a person who considers himself above the police. It is the opposite of how all of us were trained to react around police.
I can agree with this, did his actions rise to the level of the response by a trained professional?

In fairness, none of us have to worry about paparazzi, or about incidents that might distract our professional football team in the afternoon game. Of course, it became more of an incident and more of a distraction, but I will credit his explanation that he was trying to avoid a scene. Maybe that's just an excuse, but I don't like to judge people when I don't know what they are going through. As I have zero experience being a famous WR speeding to a football came, I'm not sure I would want to characterize him like that.

In fairness, none of us have to worry about paparazzi, or about incidents that might distract our professional football team in the afternoon game. Of course, it became more of an incident and more of a distraction, but I will credit his explanation that he was trying to avoid a scene. Maybe that's just an excuse, but I don't like to judge people when I don't know what they are going through. As I have zero experience being a famous WR speeding to a football came, I'm not sure I would want to characterize him like that.

For context's sake, Hill has a history of being accused of beating multiple women and of breaking his child's arm. They were not able to move forward with child abuse charges because they were not able to determine if the child's arm was broken by Hill or by the child's mother, however Hill was recorded stating that both should be afraid of him.

Hill has to worry about paparazzi. The police officers who pulled him over have to worry about being shot, or getting run over, or finding a wanted person or guns/drugs, or any number of scenarios. Surely if Hill gets your benefit of the doubt the police officers should too.

It is also 100% relevant to this discussion that cops are shot, shot at, or killed on traffic stops with startling frequency in this country, and being an asshole, not following instructions and attempting to hide behind darkly tinted windows is going to put a cop on edge and escalate a situation further than it has to be.
Not by star NFL wide receivers 2 miles from the stadium on game day.

I don’t consider the police above me either.

I don’t trust their judgment over mine.

I don’t consider them to be experts.

They finished the fairly simple training and got their badge. That doesn’t make them superior.

I don’t consider the police above me either.

I don’t trust their judgment over mine.

I don’t consider them to be experts.

They finished the fairly simple training and got their badge. That doesn’t make them superior.
It does give them the authority to give you lawful orders during situations like traffic stops, however. And you legally must comply or risk ending up in cuffs (like Hill) or arrested.

The fact that Hill was removed from the vehicle for not complying with lawful orders is not the fault of the police officers. It is the fault of Hill.
They could have easily avoided it by giving him his citation and moving on. I’ve had enough of your Bo BS.

Super. Ignore.

Some of you are over analyzing this lol. The bottom line is that it took about 1 minute from the time that the cop left his car for Tyreek Hill to be on the ground and handcuffed. That’s an insane overreaction by the cop for a traffic stop, no matter how you slice it.
dwb

They could have easily avoided it by giving him his citation and moving on. I’ve had enough of your Bo BS.

Super. Ignore.

About time. I was waiting for you to put your fingers in your ears, since you clearly can't put together a coherent argument. Buh bye.

It does give them the authority to give you lawful orders during situations like traffic stops, however. And you legally must comply or risk ending up in cuffs (like Hill) or arrested.
You have weird God complex when it comes to cops.
Cya!

Since we won't be hearing from Bigs anymore, would anyone else like to attempt to advance the argument that he was struggling with?

Back