2024 Presidential Election | 41 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 94K
  • Politics 
Here is the graphical representation. One white Wyoming vote compared to other states.

Add the filibuster on top of this there is no wonder why our politics is the way it is.

1000005187.png
+1. Rural areas are vastly overrepresented in our political system, and urban areas are vastly underrepresented. If we had a political system that actually represented the places where most people live I don't think we would have the dysfunctional government that we have today.

How Gerrymandering Tilts the 2024 Race for the House

---
It is no surprise that the effects of gerrymandering tilt in favor of the GOP. This decade, as last, Republicans disproportionately controlled the redistricting process, drawing 191 (or 44 percent) of the districts that will be used in this year’s elections. By contrast, Democrats fully controlled the drawing of only 75 districts. The rest were drawn by commissions, courts, or divided governments.

State courts also played a role in creating Republican advantages, because courts in states where Republicans drew maps (many of them with judges elected in partisan elections) have been much less inclined to police partisan gerrymandering than their counterparts in Democratic states. Thus, while large Democratic-favoring skews have been mostly corrected through legal review, Republican-favoring skews have almost uniformly remained uncorrected. Indeed, courts in many GOP states have followed federal courts’ lead in declaring gerrymandering claims to be political questions that courts have no authority to address.

Democrats also drew skewed maps in a few places, but the 7 extra Democratic or Democratic-leaning seats in those maps are less than a third of the 23 extra GOP or GOP-leaning seats in states with Republican-favoring maps.
---

"Freedom to Vote Act", if passed, would've helped
yeah, its always hilarious when pubs try to argue that the dems gerrymander just as much/badly.

not even in the same galaxy.

Gallon of milk is over $7 Canadian by me. $5.50 American, but not many (besides me) are paid in freedom dollars. Wish people screaming about the "worst inflation ever" would look around the world for a second.
Milk is $2.99/gal this week at Harris Teeter in NC; 2.59/gal if you buy Highland brand. Processed foods, paper products, and beef are where I see increased prices. One thing that stands out to me is that produce, spices, and many grocery items are always cheaper at my neighborhood ethnic grocery no matter how many times Kroger shouts "economies of scale!" with each proposed merger.

Milk is $2.99/gal this week at Harris Teeter in NC; 2.59/gal if you buy Highland brand. Processed foods, paper products, and beef are where I see increased prices. One thing that stands out to me is that produce, spices, and many grocery items are always cheaper at my neighborhood ethnic grocery no matter how many times Kroger shouts "economies of scale!" with each proposed merger.
100%. Price increases in processed foods and beef have cause me and my SO to cut out processed foods almost entirely and drastically cut down our meat consumption.

Turns out, grocery store visits are a lot cheaper when you don’t buy as much meat. Who would’ve thought. Beans are cheap man.

100%. Price increases in processed foods and beef have cause me and my SO to cut out processed foods almost entirely and drastically cut down our meat consumption.

Turns out, grocery store visits are a lot cheaper when you don’t buy as much meat. Who would’ve thought. Beans are cheap man.
Flavored vegetable lentil stew with beef broth is a new favorite of mine

watching msnbc right now, they had a roundtable in michigan today with supposedly undecided UAW members.....

there is not a snowballs chance in hell that the young white kid with the frat shag haircut, wearing a remington hat, ignorantly bitching about immigration and "leaning trump" is actually undecided.

these things are the worst.
That was not an undecided panel. They took a poll at the beginning. Only a few raised their hands as undecided.

yeah, its always hilarious when pubs try to argue that the dems gerrymander just as much/badly.

not even in the same galaxy.
Yep. In states like Ohio and NC the GOP has gerrymandered state legislatures to the point that it will be nearly impossible for Democrats to ever regain control unless more competitive districts are drawn. I believe in Ohio the Democrats could win a whopping 60% of the statewide vote for legislature (which of course never happens) and still not regain control, or only win a bare majority. It's literally creating a permanent majority status for legislative Republicans. Phil Berger will likely be the leader of the NC State Senate until he dies. It's a mockery of the notion of democracy, majority rule, and a healthy two-party system.

Flavored vegetable lentil stew with beef broth is a new favorite of mine
Lentils are great. I think my diet is like 50% chickpeas in the wintertime. Stews with tons of beans and root veggies fill the stomach quick.

I got a pound of oyster mushrooms on special for $4 at HT the other day. Made a mushroom leek pasta that was more satisfying than any meat dish I’ve had recently.

The Manchin examples are more numerous, but credit where credit is due, we shouldn't forget this...

1727200659545.png

ETA: I think this may be as literal an example of "The exception proves the rule" as you'll every find, though.
The saying isn't The exception proves the rule" It is The exception proofs the rule"
As in it tests the rule

Yep. In states like Ohio and NC the GOP has gerrymandered state legislatures to the point that it will be nearly impossible for Democrats to ever regain control unless more competitive districts are drawn. I believe in Ohio the Democrats could win a whopping 60% of the statewide vote for legislature (which of course never happens) and still not regain control, or only win a bare majority. It's literally creating a permanent majority status for legislative Republicans. Phil Berger will likely be the leader of the NC State Senate until he dies. It's a mockery of the notion of democracy, majority rule, and a healthy two-party system.
It always gets me that Republicans in NC say the Democrats in the past were just as bad as Republicans are now. And, in a way, the Republicans are correct. But the "Democrats in the past" literally are the Repbulicans now. The difference is that in the past Republcans just weren't a factor in NC legislative races. The Democrats did engage in Gerrymandering. But it was Conservative Democrats gerrymandering Moderate Democrats to preserve conservative dominance of the legislature.

Exactly the same thing as is happening now. And when I say "Moderate" that's what I mean. There has never been a significant elected "Liberal" presence in any part of NC government. The fact that BSC conservatives used have a "(D)" after their names and now have "(R)" after it really isn't the smoking gun that conservatives seem to think it is.

Back