2024 Presidential Election | 43 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 91K
  • Politics 

Nope. Back to the drawing board for you, NY Post. The National Enquirer would Blanche at that.

The problem with this strategy is that Tulsi's attack on Kamala during the 2020 primary debates was 100% predicated on Kamala being too tough on crime as a San Francisco DA and prosecuting too many minorities for drug convictions.

Not exactly going to work in conjunction with Trump's message, is it?
It was also based on a false premise and was factually inaccurate and misleading/

The problem with the improving border situation is that it suggests Biden had the ability to curtail those numbers from the getgo and that he didn't need Congress' approval.
That might be true for the average voter.

For those of us paying attention to the details, we might note that the current policy has been implemented via Interim Final Rules from HHS and I think one other agency. Well, it takes time to go through rulemaking. I don't know when the rulemakings here started, but my guess would be early 2023 based on the timing (and perhaps before that).

In addition, it's entirely unclear whether these interim final rules will be deemed legal. I was talking to a former colleague not long ago who used to teach immigration law. His current knowledge of it is probably "fair to good," but anyway, he said that the key to those rules was the availability of phone apps and the check-in stations in Central America (I don't remember the formal names). Otherwise the rules would be in violation of immigration statutes and previous court rulings. Well, those things didn't happen immediately.

Point is, the policies we are seeing now are the result of work being put in years ago, and it's just now coming into effect. It couldn't have been done in 2023, because none of that infrastructure or rulemaking could have been ready. I don't know enough in this sphere to know whether these rules will be deemed kosher -- a question that depends in part on whether it's the 9th or 5th who get the legal challenges. And there are still too few resources. One of the big things the Rs like to complain about is "catch and release" -- i.e. letting people be paroled while they await their hearings. Well, the backlog there cannot be reduced without Congressional action.

N.C. is already getting pretty well inundated. At a local bar last night, all four tvs over the bar (all on different channels) had a Kamala ad on at once (pro and con). I should have thought to snap a photo.

That might be true for the average voter.

For those of us paying attention to the details, we might note that the current policy has been implemented via Interim Final Rules from HHS and I think one other agency. Well, it takes time to go through rulemaking. I don't know when the rulemakings here started, but my guess would be early 2023 based on the timing (and perhaps before that).

In addition, it's entirely unclear whether these interim final rules will be deemed legal. I was talking to a former colleague not long ago who used to teach immigration law. His current knowledge of it is probably "fair to good," but anyway, he said that the key to those rules was the availability of phone apps and the check-in stations in Central America (I don't remember the formal names). Otherwise the rules would be in violation of immigration statutes and previous court rulings. Well, those things didn't happen immediately.

Point is, the policies we are seeing now are the result of work being put in years ago, and it's just now coming into effect. It couldn't have been done in 2023, because none of that infrastructure or rulemaking could have been ready. I don't know enough in this sphere to know whether these rules will be deemed kosher -- a question that depends in part on whether it's the 9th or 5th who get the legal challenges. And there are still too few resources. One of the big things the Rs like to complain about is "catch and release" -- i.e. letting people be paroled while they await their hearings. Well, the backlog there cannot be reduced without Congressional action.
Super, your first sentence is the key point.

Politics are about emotion, and nothing is more emotion-provoking than the border. Less than 1% of the electorate (and likely 0% of the swing voters) are going to think about any of the legal niceties you posted. Trump didn't get hung up on such things, and neither will the voters. So, in my mind, the reduction in border crossing numbers now is very much a double-edged sword politically.

‘We love Hitler. We love Trump.’: White supremacists march through Howell​

Group hung Nazi and KKK banners on highway overpass​

“…
Howell, which lies between Lansing and Detroit, has long had a reputation for extremist activity. It became known as a Ku Klux Klan (KKK) hotspot in the 1970s and 80s when infamous Michigan KKK Grand Dragon Robert Miles held hate rallies and cross burnings at his Cohoctah Township property north of Howell until his death in 1992.

That reputation has lingered, continually fueled by incidents such as a well-publicized auction of a Klan robe in 2005, and hate messages posted online by Howell students in 2014 after a basketball game with a racially-mixed Grand Blanc basketball team. Community leaders have worked hard to fight that image, including a symbolic scrubbing of the steps of the historic Livingston County courthouse in 1995 following a KKK rally.

The group eventually returned to their vehicles, one of which Farrell noted was a Mercedes with a Pennsylvania license plate, while another vehicle had a Michigan plate.

“There were no threats, no violence, and they didn’t appear to have weapons,” she said. “They definitely looked intimidating but so does anyone dressed like that. The reality is no one carries those signs, chants that crap, and dresses in tactical clothes if they’re not looking for trouble. They just made a mistake coming to Howell, a mistake that I hope no one makes again. This community may have its flaws but what I saw was a united front denouncing that group’s violent, racist, anti-semitic propaganda.”

According to a joint statement by the City of Howell, the Livingston Diversity Council, and the Howell Chamber of Commerce, Howell Police made contact with several of the demonstrators and confirmed that they came from “as far away as Saginaw and Macomb counties,” although one participant was believed to have come from nearby Fowlerville. …”
——
It sounds like the town has cleaned up its act in the nearly 30 years since Bob Miles died, but still is a draw for these KKKretins.

‘We love Hitler. We love Trump.’: White supremacists march through Howell​

Group hung Nazi and KKK banners on highway overpass​

“…
Howell, which lies between Lansing and Detroit, has long had a reputation for extremist activity. It became known as a Ku Klux Klan (KKK) hotspot in the 1970s and 80s when infamous Michigan KKK Grand Dragon Robert Miles held hate rallies and cross burnings at his Cohoctah Township property north of Howell until his death in 1992.

That reputation has lingered, continually fueled by incidents such as a well-publicized auction of a Klan robe in 2005, and hate messages posted online by Howell students in 2014 after a basketball game with a racially-mixed Grand Blanc basketball team. Community leaders have worked hard to fight that image, including a symbolic scrubbing of the steps of the historic Livingston County courthouse in 1995 following a KKK rally.

The group eventually returned to their vehicles, one of which Farrell noted was a Mercedes with a Pennsylvania license plate, while another vehicle had a Michigan plate.

“There were no threats, no violence, and they didn’t appear to have weapons,” she said. “They definitely looked intimidating but so does anyone dressed like that. The reality is no one carries those signs, chants that crap, and dresses in tactical clothes if they’re not looking for trouble. They just made a mistake coming to Howell, a mistake that I hope no one makes again. This community may have its flaws but what I saw was a united front denouncing that group’s violent, racist, anti-semitic propaganda.”

According to a joint statement by the City of Howell, the Livingston Diversity Council, and the Howell Chamber of Commerce, Howell Police made contact with several of the demonstrators and confirmed that they came from “as far away as Saginaw and Macomb counties,” although one participant was believed to have come from nearby Fowlerville. …”
——
It sounds like the town has cleaned up its act in the nearly 30 years since Bob Miles died, but still is a draw for these KKKretins.
Lived close to there. Went to law school in Michigan.

I still have friends who live close to Howell and from what they've said it hasn't cleaned up anything but it does try to ignore the morons which, I suppose, is all it can do but still there's still a massive Klan presence in the area and has some of those paramilitary groups that conduct "maneuvers" nearby.

Not trying to play the crowd size game but it does point to an overall trend that people are just tired of Trump. Poor enthusiasm, dwindling campaign funds, etc.

Harris still needs to keep her foot on the gas, always.

I was tired of trump around 2014.

Kamala and Tim going after one electoral vote... I love it !

Nebraska GOP may make one more attempt at repealing the way their electoral votes are allocated before this election (they failed an earlier attempt this year, infuriating Trump), but this is a big reason why Nebraska went this way, to draw attention (and advertising dollars) to a low electoral vote state.

Back