2024 Presidential Election | 44 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 90K
  • Politics 
The short risk is not analogous at all. The financial markets can be irrational longer than your cash holds out.
The point was that even in highly liquid market, smart money doesn't necessarily discipline the suckers. True, shorting a stock by borrowing isn't the best analogy, but you can short stocks with options. And a put or call option is financially identical to a bet on Harris or Trump.

The point was that even in highly liquid market, smart money doesn't necessarily discipline the suckers. True, shorting a stock by borrowing isn't the best analogy, but you can short stocks with options. And a put or call option is financially identical to a bet on Harris or Trump.
I think it is far more analogous to a market distortion caused by a popular team, like the Dallas Cowboys or the LA Lakers. I mean, I suppose someone could be trying to rig the market simply for the PR effect, but I am skeptical of the feasibility/likelihood of that. When Roaring Kitty rigs the Gamestop stock price, there is a way to make money off of it. Rigging a betting market for PR purposes would be hard to cash in on, since you'd need to hedge your position, which would undermine the rigging objective.

I think it is far more analogous to a market distortion caused by a popular team, like the Dallas Cowboys or the LA Lakers. I mean, I suppose someone could be trying to rig the market simply for the PR effect, but I am skeptical of the feasibility/likelihood of that. When Roaring Kitty rigs the Gamestop stock price, there is a way to make money off of it. Rigging a betting market for PR purposes would be hard to cash in on, since you'd need to hedge your position, which would undermine the rigging objective.
I don't know much at all about sports betting, so I don't know how to make that analogy. This isn't worth discussing any further since we mostly agree on the bottom line and I don't care enough to continue at the moment. I'll just say that I disagree with your finance analysis here and we can leave it at that.

That’s been a rumor for awhile, not much validity to it IMO.
yeah, i think my mom follows a lot of t-swift content aggregator pages on FB (my dad's FB that she uses, she doesn't actually have one, lmao)

.....and she believes it all and i'm like "mom, these are just the taylor swift version of maga propaganda pages on FB...."

Here's a gift article for those who miss the sensation of a head repeatedly hitting a wall. (And the head bashing is not about the Kamala based headline, just about the overall content of the article.) Also Pierce is a damned liar about being undecided.

Here's a gift article for those who miss the sensation of a head repeatedly hitting a wall. (And the head bashing is not about the Kamala based headline, just about the overall content of the article.) Also Pierce is a damned liar about being undecided.

The Times seems to have developed a kind of compulsion about bosiding everything and dousing any bit of hope or good news for Democrats.

Back