2024 Presidential Election | 45 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 89K
  • Politics 
Strongly disagree that he’s one of the worst people alive today.

Simply put, I trust Trump on the economy and on immigration more than I do Harris. Those 2 issues are core issues for me whereas other stuff is more secondary. I’m pro choice and generally pro gun reform, so it’s not like I’m a huge pro-life or 2nd amendment single issue voter. As far as foreign policy, I’m more of an isolationalist in the sense that I think the United States often gets taken advantage of in some of the alliances we are in.

This package of beliefs leads me to vote for Democrats in some races - for instance, the NC governor’s race has nothing to do with immigration (where national Dems are a total disaster) or foreign policy - two issues I side with Republicans on - but it does have a lot to do with abortion (where I’m pro choice) now that Roe has been overturned.
I pointed out why Trump’s policies on the economy and immigration would be harmful to America.

You’ve not responded with any facts or analysis to counter my post.

This is why people don’t take you seriously.

I am literally gobsmacked that it hasn’t yet occurred to these buffoons that LITERALLY 50% of the voting public are currently having or at one time had periods.

They really are trying to lose this aren’t they?
I honestly don't think they can help themselves. For the Religious Right, this is who they are.

Mogadishu? Really?

Of course the always-happy-to-bosides NY Times would run a story about Shapiro and leftist anti-Semitism. I do think the fact that Shapiro gave a very vigorous personal endorsement of the Harris-Walz ticket today, and that he will energetically campaign for the ticket in PA and elsewhere this fall, will mute most of that criticism or any accusations of anti-Semitism. Well, that and the fact that Harris is married to a Jew. It's just an absurd claim, but that's what the other side is going with, I guess.

Last edited:
Of course the always-happy-to-bosides NY Times would run a story about Shapiro and leftist anti-Semitism. I do think the fact that Shapiro gave a very vigorous personal endorsement of the Harris-Walz ticket today, and that he will energetically campaign for the ticket in PA and elsewhere this fall, will mute most of that criticism or any accusations of anti-Semitism. Well, that and the fact that Harris is married to a Jew. It's just an absurd claim, but I guess that's the other side is going with, I guess.
The NY Times will continue to ‘Bo-sides……if ‘Bo-siding means criticizing any Democratic misstep or perceived misstep and ignoring Trump’s dementia.

Trump does ramble, and by no means is he some master on the debate stage. The comparison was him against Joe Biden. Lowest possible bar for him to clear when it comes to mental acuity.
Ask either of them a policy question. Biden might stutter a few times, and have to take a few seconds to compose himself. It definitely does not always come back as a smooth delivery. However, give that same question to Trump and somehow he will weave in sharks and electric planes and STOLLEN ELECTIONS, and never even address the actual question. So yeah, Trump is dumber and slower than even good ol' Sleepy Joe.

So, you support Trump’s proposed massive tariffs across all imports and his proposed detention and deportation of millions of undocumented immigrants - even those who have been working here for 3, 5, 10, 15, 20, or more years.

What economic impact will the tariffs and detentions/deportations have?

Will those be good impacts?
Trump goes further on tariffs than I would, as it’s generally the alliances I think we are taken advantage of more so than free trade. The biggest advantage Trump has over Harris on foreign policy is not tariff or trade related, it’s that our enemies view him as a stronger leader they shouldn’t mess with, which helps keep us out of needless wars and keeps the terrorists at bay. The world was a peaceful place during Trump’s last term compared to the chaos we have going on throughout the world now in both the Middle East and Ukraine.

Yes, I definitely support the detention of illegal immigrants in large numbers than we’ve been doing. The Trump administration deported about 1,000,000 people and the Biden administration has deported about 300,000 people. So I think there’s a path to tske this issue about 10x more seriously than Biden/Harris does (and about 3x more seriously than Trump did last time) without deporting all 11 million illegal immigrants or whatever the total number is. The effort should begin with ones who have committed serious crimes and go from there. No real need in my mind to deport a family from Mexico who came here years ago, assimilated into our culture, followed the laws except for the ones they broke when they entered the country illegally, and have created a good life for themselves as productive members of our society. Dealing with those people would be the last priority and the main issue there would be getting them to start paying their fair share in taxes going forward.

I pointed out why Trump’s policies on the economy and immigration would be harmful to America.

You’ve not responded with any facts or analysis to counter my post.

This is why people don’t take you seriously.
See post directly above this one if you want my more detailed thoughts on immigration and tariffs.

Trump goes further on tariffs than I would, as it’s generally the alliances I think we are taken advantage of more so than free trade. The biggest advantage Trump has over Harris on foreign policy is not tariff or trade related, it’s that our enemies view him as a stronger leader they shouldn’t mess with, which helps keep us out of needless wars and keeps the terrorists at bay. The world was a peaceful place during Trump’s last term compared to the chaos we have going on throughout the world now in both the Middle East and Ukraine.

Yes, I definitely support the detention of illegal immigrants in large numbers than we’ve been doing. The Trump administration deported about 1,000,000 people and the Biden administration has deported about 300,000 people. So I think there’s a path to tske this issue about 10x more seriously than Biden/Harris does (and about 3x more seriously than Trump did last time) without deporting all 11 million illegal immigrants or whatever the total number is. The effort should begin with ones who have committed serious crimes and go from there. No real need in my mind to deport a family from Mexico who came here years ago, assimilated into our culture, followed the laws except for the ones they broke when they entered the country illegally, and have created a good life for themselves as productive members of our society. Dealing with those people would be the last priority and the main issue there would be getting them to start paying their fair share in taxes going forward.
We literally are not in a war of any kind for the first time in decades.

Trump doesn't want just larger numbers of deportations, he wants deportations of ALL undocumented immigrants. There's not nuance with him as you know. Are you prepared for that sort of financial burden that would cause to our economy? Why even take that risk? Like, if it was a zero sum game, would you rather have no undocumented immigrants or what we have now?

Simply put, I trust Trump on the economy and on immigration more than I do Harris. Those 2 issues are core issues for me whereas other stuff is more secondary. I’m pro choice and generally pro gun reform, so it’s not like I’m a huge pro-life or 2nd amendment single issue voter. As far as foreign policy, I’m more of an isolationalist in the sense that I think the United States often gets taken advantage of in some of the alliances we are in.

This package of beliefs leads me to vote for Democrats in some races - for instance, the NC governor’s race has nothing to do with immigration (where national Dems are a total disaster) or foreign policy - two issues I side with Republicans on - but it does have a lot to do with abortion (where I’m pro choice) now that Roe has been overturned.
Trump crashed the economy and has bankrupted numerous companies…while cheating the entire time.

What makes you think he’ll be strong on the economy vs the current admin?

The world more peaceful under Trump? Do you not think there were wars and killing going on under Trump? What did he do to prevent them?

What about the US, his divisiveness emboldened white nationalists that caused Charlottesville, brought us to the tipping point that made the Floyd killing a powder keg, and led a violent insurrection on the capital… all while about Covid and creating divisiveness there which killed a multiple of people than under a responsible leader and completely crashed our economy as he has done every business he’s ever run(on the apprentice he was just acting)…his tariff failure is a whole different story.

Perhaps you just like the guy and hate who he hates, but you are not being honest with if success in economy/international diplomacy are priorities.

Trump doesn't want just larger numbers of deportations, he wants deportations of ALL undocumented immigrants. There's not nuance with him as you know. Are you prepared for that sort of financial burden that would cause to our economy? Why even take that risk? Like, if it was a zero sum game, would you rather have no undocumented immigrants or what we have now?
And Miller wants to add the documented immigrants to the list. Under the Trump admin, my friend who had been a citizen since the age of 12 (1993) had his status audited because his mother didn't fully color in a circle or something on a form she filled out upon LEGAL immigration from Peru when he was a toddler in 1985 or so.

Epstein, rapes, re-ignited racial tension, covid lies leading to hundreds of thousands of unnecessary deaths…he created a vaccine divide while secretly taking the vaccine himself.

What americans have had a more negative impact?

Logistically it’s not even possible to deport every single illegal immigrant even if he wanted to. So the focus will be on the highest priority ones - the ones who aren’t productive citizens.

There is a hell of a gap between a) deporting every single illegal immigrant and b) the crisis at our southern border under the current administration.

I don't want the US president to act like a dictator if that's what makes them look tough. I don't want them friends with dictators, I want them to literally be the opposite.

Compassion, empathy and and willingness to say you might not know the right answer, those are signs of toughness. Not stubbornness, disrespect and doubling down on every answer no matter what.

Logistically it’s not even possible to deport every single illegal immigrant even if he wanted to. So the focus will be on the highest priority ones - the ones who aren’t productive citizens.

There is a hell of a gap between a) deporting every single illegal immigrant and b) the crisis at our southern border under the current administration.
What is the result of this "crisis" though?

If deer are getting into your yard and eating your entire garden, I can see wanting to keep them out. But the damn deer are getting into the yard, tilling the soil, planting the crops, and then picking the veggies all while cooking them for you.

What is the result of this "crisis" though?

If deer are getting into your yard and eating your entire garden, I can see wanting to keep them out. But the damn deer are getting into the yard, tilling the soil, planting the crops, and then picking the veggies all while cooking them for you.
I think we agree on this. Start by deporting the ones who are eating the garden. There is no need to deport the ones who are living productive lives and helping our country thrive - just make sure they at least pay their fair share while they’re here and using our resources (education, healthcare, etc)

See post directly above this one if you want my more detailed thoughts on immigration and tariffs.
So basically, your argument is that Trump won’t actually do what he says he’ll do re: mass deportations and tariffs. It’s all in the image he projects—he scares our enemies into line.

Yeah, that’s another reason no one here takes you seriously.

I think we agree on this. Start by deporting the ones who are eating the garden. There is no need to deport the ones who are living productive lives and helping our country thrive - just make sure they at least pay their fair share while they’re here and using our resources (education, healthcare, etc)
This is a perfectly reasonable take. But thats not what Trump and his admin want to do. Do I need to list all the things he says he wants to do for you? Do I know Trump's platform better than a Trump voter?

Undocumented immigrants pay taxes. The put way more into our system than they get out, AND they have a lower crime rate. We should probably be welcoming in way more of them and getting rid of all the assholes we currently have.

Back