2024 Presidential Election | 47 Days to Election Day

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 4K
  • Views: 88K
  • Politics 

“The first modern presidential race between two candidates with undergraduate degrees in economics hasn’t thrilled economists. Both Donald Trump and Kamala Harris have floated bad ideas, including that Nippon Steel’s proposed acquisition of U.S. Steel is a national-security risk, that tip income shouldn’t be taxed, and that grocery prices are currently elevated because of price gouging.

Yet economists are obliged to compare and quantify. In this race, the evaluation is clear: Mr. Trump’s ideas on tariffs, the budget and the Federal Reserve pose a much greater risk to the economy than Ms. Harris’s. …”

“The first modern presidential race between two candidates with undergraduate degrees in economics hasn’t thrilled economists. Both Donald Trump and Kamala Harris have floated bad ideas, including that Nippon Steel’s proposed acquisition of U.S. Steel is a national-security risk, that tip income shouldn’t be taxed, and that grocery prices are currently elevated because of price gouging.

Yet economists are obliged to compare and quantify. In this race, the evaluation is clear: Mr. Trump’s ideas on tariffs, the budget and the Federal Reserve pose a much greater risk to the economy than Ms. Harris’s. …”

Kroger admitted it

Man, if you ever lower the estate tax threshold, there are going to be a lot of rich people getting the plug pulled ASAP.
Eh I doubt it will be that many. Something like 0.08% of estates pay even a cent of estate tax; I think moving the threshold back to the old Obama-era days, which was $5 million then annually adjusted up for inflation (which is technically what will happen if the Trump-era increase of the threshold expires in 2025) would increase the number of estates that pay it to something like 0.2%.

While there is certainly a limit to how much you can cut taxes... there is much greater benefit to the economy to cutting taxes on SS (where most people will spend the extra money) vs. cutting taxes on the rich (where most people will pocket the extra money).
I was thinking about this. If we are going to cut taxes, this is a place to target. But considering SS payments are effectively before tax, I'm ok if the payments are taxed, I guess. 😜

111 Former G.O.P. Officials Back Harris, Calling Trump ‘Unfit to Serve’​

The signatories of a letter endorsing the Democratic vice president included former members of Congress, defense secretaries, C.I.A. directors and other national security officials.

"... The 111 signatories included former officials who served under Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush or George W. Bush. Many of them had previously broken with Mr. Trump, including two former defense secretaries, Chuck Hagel and William S. Cohen; Robert B. Zoellick, a former president of the World Bank; the former C.I.A. directors Michael V. Hayden and William H. Webster; a former director of national intelligence, John D. Negroponte; and former Gov. William F. Weld of Massachusetts. Miles Taylor and Olivia Troye, two Trump administration officials who became vocal critics, also signed.

But a number of Republicans who did not sign a similar letter on behalf of Mr. Biden in 2020 signed the one for Ms. Harris this time, including several former House members, like Charles W. Boustany Jr. of Louisiana, Barbara Comstock of Virginia, Dan Miller of Florida and Bill Paxon of New York. ..."

Open Letter: https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/documenttools/38a5a90bef9711ef/a1c00612-full.pdf

The signatories of a letter endorsing the Democratic vice president included former members of Congress, defense secretaries, C.I.A. directors and other national security officials.

"... The 111 signatories included former officials who served under Ronald Reagan, George H.W. Bush or George W. Bush. Many of them had previously broken with Mr. Trump, including two former defense secretaries, Chuck Hagel and William S. Cohen; Robert B. Zoellick, a former president of the World Bank; the former C.I.A. directors Michael V. Hayden and William H. Webster; a former director of national intelligence, John D. Negroponte; and former Gov. William F. Weld of Massachusetts. Miles Taylor and Olivia Troye, two Trump administration officials who became vocal critics, also signed.

But a number of Republicans who did not sign a similar letter on behalf of Mr. Biden in 2020 signed the one for Ms. Harris this time, including several former House members, like Charles W. Boustany Jr. of Louisiana, Barbara Comstock of Virginia, Dan Miller of Florida and Bill Paxon of New York. ..."

Open Letter: https://static01.nyt.com/newsgraphics/documenttools/38a5a90bef9711ef/a1c00612-full.pdf

We appreciate that many Republicans prefer Donald Trump to Kamala Harris, for a variety of reasons. We recognize and do not disparage their potential concerns, including about some of the positions advocated by the left wing of the Democratic party. But any potential concerns pale in comparison to Donald Trump's demonstrated chaotic and unethical behavior and disregard for our Republic's time-tested principles of constitutional governance. His unpredictable nature is not the negotiating virtue he extols. To the contrary, in matters of national security, his demeanor invites equally erratic behavior from our adversaries, which irresponsibly threatens reckless and dangerous global consequences.

In short, Donald Trump cannot be trusted “to support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic . . . and be a rtrue faith and allegiance to the same."We believe that Kamala Harris can, and we urge other Americans to join us in supporting her.

None of those signatories move the needle any.

I think the only GOP endorsement that might register at this point is W's.

Milley and Kelly might move the needle, as well.

I would add McMaster, but he is a soft Trumper so no way he endorses Harris...
**** McMaster.

If you enjoy 'throbbing vein in the forehead' type rage, then I suggest you listen to the Foreign Policy Live podcast where Ravi Agrawal interviews McMaster about the foreign policy aspects of the Trump Harris debate.

EDIT: To be clear, it's the special type of rage reserved for "those who should know better, and yet...".

None of those signatories move the needle any.

I think the only GOP endorsement that might register at this point is W's.
I think Dick Cheney's could if he's willing to actually campaign for Harris (even if only by video).

A 30-second ad that touts Cheney's conservative bona fides, contrasts Trump's lack of conservatism, and then ends with a strong statement by Dick against Trump could be really powerful. Especially played over and over again on Fox News.

Back