Anson Dorrance retires

Why should she be?

Has she any coaching experience?
Absolutely true. But can you imagine being a teenage girl who is a senior in high school and Mia freaking Hamm walks into your parents living room and says, "I think you would be a really good fit for the University of North Carolina women's soccer program?

A relative of Keller told me at the time that she was pretty much FOS to file the charges. No allegations of anything physical just some off-color joking for which he apologized. Eventually she got paid to go away which I'm guessing went mostly to the lawyers.

From reading that article linked above, and reading between the lines, I think it seems probable that Dorrance was trying to coach his team in 2023 the way that he coached his team in 1993 or 2003, and that just doesn't really fly anymore. And I don't think it's necessarily an indictment of these younger generations of players being "softer." I think it's incumbent upon coaches to evolve and adapt, not just their game planning, strategies, and X's and O's, but also their coaching style, methods, and ways of relating to their players. Most older coaches can't do it, and they end up staying well past their "sell by" date to the detriment of their programs- Bobby Bowden, Joe Paterno, etc. etc.

The women’s soccer team book ended my Carolina career as a student with national championships my freshman year in 2009 and my senior year in 2012. You could have never in 1 billion years convinced me in 2012 that it was the last national title Anson would ever win. Now, granted, in the last five years we lost in the national championship game on PK’s to Stanford and had the collapse against UCLA where we had the absolute worst non-goalie interference officiating call I’ve ever seen in my life, so if either or both of those goes the other way, the record books basically look like the UNC women’s soccer dynasty barely skipped a beat.

But, again, reading that article and reading between the lines of former players’ comments, coupled with the mass exodus that literally none of our other soccer endured, it is pretty clear that the wheels were coming off of the UNC women’s soccer program. I’m hopeful that Anson to make the decision to retire completely and totally his own, but with the timing of it being less than a week before the season starts, I’m a little skeptical.

Back