Car accident

UNCatTech

Honored Member
ZZL Supporter
On the way home today I guy hit my truck with his truck.
Very similar to what happened last year. He was changing lanes and caught the front left corner of my truck. Last year it was the front right.
Today it was a younger guy, from his license he's 30, who was working.
It isn't horrible, the truck is drivable, and he was apologetic and provided his license and insurance information. Another guy also stopped and gave me his number said he was behind me and witnessed it, if I end up needing a witness. But I didn't call the police.

Everything seemed ok, I took pictures and got all of his information, but now after thinking about it, I hope I didn't make a mistake by not calling the police.

I guess we will see.

Very similar to what happened last year. He was changing lanes and caught the front left corner of my truck. Last year it was the front right.
It isn't horrible, the truck is drivable, and he was apologetic and provided his license and insurance information. Another guy also stopped and gave me his number said he was behind me and witnessed it, if I end up needing a witness. But I didn't call the police.

Everything seemed ok, I took pictures and got all of his information, but now after thinking about it, I hope I didn't make a mistake by not calling the police.

I guess we will see.

I got screwed once not calling the police. Everybody is very apologetic when the accident happens but when they have to fork over ten grand to fix a fender bender, they or their insurance company start justifying in their head why you might be at fault.

Hopefully it works out for you since you have a witness but I always call the police. That's what you pay taxes for.

Glad nobody's hurt. That's the most important thing.

Good luck! Dashcams obviously help. I was involved in a non contact collision where the insurance company concluded their evidence quickly once they saw footage.

I guess we will see.
Keep in touch with the witness.

Give your insurance AGENT (so long as you have a good, reputable one) the witness’ info.

I filed the claim today.
It's obvious that they are looking for a way to not pay. The questions they ask, wow.

Always call the police after an accident that was someone elses fault
In some cities, sometimes w fender benders the police will ask if the vehicles can be moved out of traffic, take pictures, get relevant information and pass it all on to them. No need to involve an officer on site. They follow up; police report filed.

In some cities, sometimes w fender benders the police will ask if the vehicles can be moved out of traffic, take pictures, get relevant information and pass it all on to them. No need to involve an officer on site. They follow up; police report filed.
I can still do this. I called the police today and they will file a report up to 30 days after the accident.

I have all of the information, pictures, and a witness.

Well, finally got an update today.

Seems that the guy that hit me and the owner of his truck (mom), are not cooperating.

I'm such a dumbass for felling sorry for him and not calling the police.

Motivating Wake Up GIF by FIA World Rally Championship

Seems that the guy that hit me and the owner of his truck (mom), are not cooperating.

Being compassionate doesn't make you a dumbass. Naive, maybe, but I wouldn't be too hard on yourself. Just a lesson to learn in this context.

FYI, my wife once had a similar situation where the police did come and the insurance company still managed to make it a hugely difficult time.

. . .. I'm such a dumbass for felling sorry for him and not calling the police. . . ..
You are not a dumbass yet. But if you don't file a police report within 30 days of the accident--with all the photos and witness names--then you will be a dumbass. Don't be a dumbass.

You are not a dumbass yet. But if you don't file a police report within 30 days of the accident--with all the photos and witness names--then you will be a dumbass. Don't be a dumbass.
I did actually file a few days later.

But ultimately I believe I'll have to turn it in on my insurance.

I'm glad that I have good insurance and that I'm at a place in life where this isn't a big deal financially.

Out of curiosity, what is his lack of cooperation causing?

My understanding is that lack of cooperation can slow down the process, but that if someone is at fault eventually them/their insurance will have to pay up (although that might be after a lawsuit by your insurance).

Back