Car accident

Out of curiosity, what is his lack of cooperation causing?

My understanding is that lack of cooperation can slow down the process, but that if someone is at fault eventually them/their insurance will have to pay up (although that might be after a lawsuit by your insurance).
Yes, that's what they told me. He's not answering or returning calls. So they don't yet have him admitting to be at fault.

My insurance has already said if I file the claim with them the will sue him for the cost. It will cost him more in the long run.

There wasn't a lot of damage, it would be simpler to just let insurance deal with it.

On the way home today I guy hit my truck with his truck.
Very similar to what happened last year. He was changing lanes and caught the front left corner of my truck. Last year it was the front right.
Today it was a younger guy, from his license he's 30, who was working.
It isn't horrible, the truck is drivable, and he was apologetic and provided his license and insurance information. Another guy also stopped and gave me his number said he was behind me and witnessed it, if I end up needing a witness. But I didn't call the police.

Everything seemed ok, I took pictures and got all of his information, but now after thinking about it, I hope I didn't make a mistake by not calling the police.

I guess we will see.
You should have called the police, now he has every opportunity to tell his carrier that you merged into him. Without a police report that witness is pretty much useless. I say this as a former claims adjuster. Best thing to do is file with your carrier and let them battle it out with the other carrier.

Yes, that's what they told me. He's not answering or returning calls. So they don't yet have him admitting to be at fault.

My insurance has already said if I file the claim with them the will sue him for the cost. It will cost him more in the long run.

There wasn't a lot of damage, it would be simpler to just let insurance deal with it.
Thanks. I appreciate those details.

Well, finally got an update today.

Seems that the guy that hit me and the owner of his truck (mom), are not cooperating.

I'm such a dumbass for felling sorry for him and not calling the police.

Motivating Wake Up GIF by FIA World Rally Championship
Unfortunately I saw this many many times handling claims. Get into an accident with a younger person, they admit fault at the scene etc. No police report and now the parents have told them to not say anything/they have no proof. Just let your carrier handle it.

You should have called the police, now he has every opportunity to tell his carrier that you merged into him. Without a police report that witness is pretty much useless. I say this as a former claims adjuster. Best thing to do is file with your carrier and let them battle it out with the other carrier.
Yes, I see that now.

Had i suspected he would be dishonest i would have.

Unfortunately I saw this many many times handling claims. Get into an accident with a younger person, they admit fault at the scene etc. No police report and now the parents have told them to not say anything/they have no proof. Just let your carrier handle it.
I agree. I once got rear-ended at a stoplight by a teenager. We pulled over to a parking lot out of traffic and I called the cops, reporting that no one was hurt. While we were waiting, the young woman was very apologetic and said that it was all her fault. I told her not to say that when the police arrived. She replied something like, "But it's obvious it's my fault." I replied, "If it's obvious, then you don't have to tell the police." And then noticing she had the same proof of insurance card that I had, I said, "Turn that card over and read me the first line on the back." She turned it over, looked at it and said, "Never admit you are at fault." She actually laughed.

Yeah I got fucked over once during a bad ice storm in Atlanta. There were hundreds of wrecks, and this van transporting workers slid on bald ass tires into my lane.

The supervisor (who happened to be a local politician) came out and said yeah it's our fault. The driver and all the passengers agreed it was the van's fault.

After waiting 3+ hours in the cold, the police dispatch told us it would be another 12+ hours before an officer could get out there. She advised we file a report later.

I filled in person 2 days later, and you'll be shocked to learn the company and driver denied any culpability.

Back