• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 196
  • Views: 2K
  • Off-Topic 

nycfan

Curator/Moderator
ZZL Supporter
Relocating some interesting convo that got started in but was derailing the Polling thread ... have at it!

What was the name of the Bib Overall guy with the little paper out of North Chatham . I seem to remember shortly before the Hunt-Helms Senate election he ran an article about "lots of young boys go in and out of the back door of Hunt's Executive mansion"

Bob Windsor and his paper was The Landmark. His office was upstairs above the grill at Starpoint. That same building now sports a Dean Smith mural.

Cousin Chub Seawell?

From Carthage in Moore County.
@SmilingJack Said:

Pretty sure his name was Bob Windsor?
Years ago I was told he developed Heritage Hills off Smith Level and Rangewood off 54 west. All the septic fields failed and OWASA had to run emergency lines. They said he was banned from Orange County as a builder/developer after that. The pub grift is a party tradition.

I once lived next door to the grill at Starpoint. A fellow named Percy ran and cooked at the grill and fixed the best ribs I ever put in my mouth😋

@donbosco said

That house there behind the "other" building at Starpoint? I went to parties there in the early 1980s.

That house there behind the "other" building at Starpoint? I went to parties there in the early 1980s.

@heelinhell said:

I think the building you are referring to was a building that housed a business for washing and drying clothes.

I lived in many different Chapel Hill/Carrboro places back in the day and challenge folks to match or surpass my record:

1) Ruffin Dorm
2)Kingswood Apts
3)University Garden Apts
4) double wide at the top of Wave Road
5)Park and Stay Trailer Park
6)Estes Park Apts
7)trailer park on Airport Road (can't remember the name)
8)house on Barclay Road
9) house on Justice Street
10)Apt under a house on MT Carmel Church Road
11)Gatewood Apts
12)duplex on Hillsborough in Carrboro
13)Sharon Heights Apts
14) house at Starpoint

And since 1982 I have lived in two homes in Carrboro as a semi-responsible adult with my wife and family :)

I think the building you are referring to was a building that housed a business for washing and drying clothes.

I lived in many different Chapel Hill/Carrboro places back in the day and challenge folks to match or surpass my record:

1) Ruffin Dorm
2)Kingswood Apts
3)University Garden Apts
6)Estes Park Apts
8)house on Barclay Road
11)Gatewood Apts
13)Sharon Heights Apts
14) house at Starpoint

And since 1982 I have lived in two homes in Carrboro as a semi-responsible adult with my wife and family :)

@Calheel said:

Let me try
1. House on Emory Rd in Briarcliff
2. House on Sourwood Circle in Morgan Creek
3. Laurel Ridge Apartments
4. House on Hatch Rd out by University Lake
5. House on Mears Rd in Lake Forest
6. House on Shadylawn Rd in Lake Forest
7. House on Bennett Memorial Rd in Durham
8. Alexander Dorm
9. Kingswood Apartments
10. House on Elizabeth St off East Franklin
11. House on Waterford in the Oaks II
12. Condo on Olde Coach Rd by 40

That gets 0-23

1) Ruffin Dorm
2)Kingswood Apts
3)University Garden Apts
6)Estes Park Apts
8)house on Barclay Road
11)Gatewood Apts
13)Sharon Heights Apts
14) house at Starpoint

@donbosco said:

I'll give it a go...

Between 1976 and 2008 (with 1983-86 spent in Boone and 1990-91 in Guatemala)
1.Everett Dorm
2.I-9 Old Well Apartments, Carrboro
3.A-1 Oak Terrace Apartments
4.Booker Creek Apartments
5.100 Old Pittsboro Road, Carrboro
6.In a house way down Merritt Drive off of 15-501
7.House on Pritchard Avenue Extension
8.Boarding house on McCauley Street
9.House at 1512 E. Franklin Street
10.House at 1510 E. Franklin Street
11.#3 Oakwood Drive in Glen Lennox
12.A Shack on Dodson’s Crossroads, out HGWY 54
13.1202 N. Greensboro, Street, Carrboro
14.House at 102 Plant Road
15.Condo on Elizabeth Street
16.44 Dogwood Acres Drive

After Dogwood Acres I moved to Greensboro, then Asheville, then Weaverville, and now split my time between NYC and Fairview -- that adds 6 more abodes to the list.

BTW...that laundromat, i.e., "other" building was also a bar at least once and on another occasion a "massage" parlor.

@TarSpiel said

Come for the erudite political discussion, stay for the Carrboro ****-measuring contest...lol, I love this board.

FWIW, I only lived in 2 places there, Dogwood Acres for a couple months, then for a long time a garage apt on Bolin Creek Drive.

@heelinhell said:

ok, you forced me to derail one last time

Did you rent your apt. from Lee and Lori Graves ? If so then I was your next door neighbor :cool:

I'm done now for good...I promise nycfan...I really really do !

ok, you forced me to derail one last time

Did you rent your apt. from Lee and Lori Graves ? If so then I was your next door neighbor :cool:

I'm done now for good...I promise nycfan...I really really do !

@TarSpiel said

Holy crap! That's exactly who I rented from!!

If they're still there, please send them my love (lived there from 2000-2007). Such great, great people. And Anna and Haley, how are they?! God they must be in their 20's now.

Aaw man, okay. Sorry for the further thread derailment. If they're still there, can you send me a PM?

From the March 1979 ‘Carolina Alumni Review” - A Walk Down Franklin Street

IMG_4322.jpeg

Last edited:
. . .,
6)Estes Park Apts
. . ..
The spring of my senior year in high, after I had been accepted at UNC, I borrowed my grandfather's car and drove up to Chapel Hill to spend the weekend with my brother and see the campus. I drove up to Estes Park Apts Friday afternoon and knocked on my brother's apartment door. No answer. I figured he was out somewhere, so I ate (Mom 'n Pop's Ham House, IIRC) and went to a movie, "Little Big Man," starring Dustin Hoffman. After the movie, 9 pm showing, I tried again. Still no answer. I knew it was too late to drive home, so I slept in the backseat of the car.

Next morning I got up, tried again, but still no one at home. So I drove to campus and sort of aimlessly wandered around for a couple of hours. Then I drove home. When I arrived home a day early, my father asked what had happened. I made up some story about seeing everything there was to see in two days and decided to come home early. My father's response was to tell me that my brother had already called to apologize and disclosed he had forgotten about me coming and had gone to the beach with some friends. And as karma often does, my brother got separated from his friends before he found out where the one friend's beach cottage was and had to sleep on the beach.

Later, my brother told me that his then girlfriend, with two other girls, also lived at Estes Park and had seen me knocking on his door and sleeping in the car. He scolded her for not inquiring about me and not letting me sleep on the couch in their apartment. But it was all for the good, because I don't think my little 17 year old heart would have survived being asked by three hot college girls to spend the night with them.

Last edited:
Some of my favorite days were way back when many businesses closed for a week or two in August. Few students around. CH hadn't become a bedroom community in the RTP world. You'd run into folks you hardly ever saw during the year. Now it's traffic city 365...

Back