Chapel Hill/Carrboro Reminiscing & Missed Connections

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 196
  • Views: 2K
  • Off-Topic 
But there was a pretty politically active home builder guy by the same name who may very well have run for mayor seriously.

I know that a lot of people called him Mayor but I am pretty sure he never ran at least seriously. He was an artist and an inebriant of some acclaim. He could be found in Trolls or Kirkpatrick's pretty often but might wander into practically any place (Tijuana Fats' for example). He lived in Carrboro with his mother until he passed away in 2014. I gave him a few rides home over the years and he lived in that neighborhood back behind Fitch Lumber. Part of his legend is that he once turned down The New Yorker when they accepted one of his paintings for a cover because they offered too little payment. He certainly could draw some beautiful bar napkin art.
Thanks for the back story. Assuming it is the same Larry, and it almost has to be, he was a regular patron at the bar at Squid's circa 1988-92. He designed the neon fishbone Squid's t-shirt, some of which are still in my closet somewhere till this very day.

Nyle Frank - I went to his coronation (skipped a class lol). He was at the top of the steps of Lenoir, his "subjects" and onlookers in the Pit. He would gather whoever for midnight walks. I went on a couple. He hung around playing piano and whatnot around town for many years. Last I knew, it's been a while, he was living in Hillsborough. And I believe he was the person who gave Carrboro the moniker of "The Paris of the Piedmont".

Invisible University of North Carolina

In the fall of 1970 graduate student Nyle Frank started the Invisible University of North Carolina. The (very) informal "invisible university" offered alternative classes in the style of 1960s teach-ins. Anyone interested could sign up to take a class, or to teach one. The first course, taught by campus police chief Arthur Beaumont, was called Cooperation between the Fuzz and the Fuzzies. Other courses included graffiti interpretation and pumpkin carving. Frank, a native of Los Angeles, was a well-known figure on campus in the early 1970s. He was easily recognizable, wearing elaborate, colorful clothing and his distinctive "goastache" (half mustache, half goatee). Not satisfied with just an invisible university, in December 1970 Frank was crowned King of the Invisible Universe.

EISm8SQWwAAU2ZY.jpg

For those over 70 Remember the guy on Franklin St. Called himself Jesus-looked like Jesus. His mom ran the laundry mat right on 100 block of Franklin. I think he had an apt more or less above Hectors. ‘Twas suicide that took him out the second story window onto the street near Hectors

Nyle Frank - I went to his coronation (skipped a class lol). He was at the top of the steps of Lenoir, his "subjects" and onlookers in the Pit. He would gather whoever for midnight walks. I went on a couple. He hung around playing piano and whatnot around town for many years. Last I knew, it's been a while, he was living in Hillsborough. And I believe he was the person who gave Carrboro the moniker of "The Paris of the Piedmont".

Invisible University of North Carolina

In the fall of 1970 graduate student Nyle Frank started the Invisible University of North Carolina. The (very) informal "invisible university" offered alternative classes in the style of 1960s teach-ins. Anyone interested could sign up to take a class, or to teach one. The first course, taught by campus police chief Arthur Beaumont, was called Cooperation between the Fuzz and the Fuzzies. Other courses included graffiti interpretation and pumpkin carving. Frank, a native of Los Angeles, was a well-known figure on campus in the early 1970s. He was easily recognizable, wearing elaborate, colorful clothing and his distinctive "goastache" (half mustache, half goatee). Not satisfied with just an invisible university, in December 1970 Frank was crowned King of the Invisible Universe.

EISm8SQWwAAU2ZY.jpg
I had the opportunity to have dinner with King Nyle back in the 1980s. He was living and recording music in Nashville at the time but had returned to Chapel Hill to visit friends. One of our mutual friends invited me to join them for the dinner.

Given his alter ego as a brash iconoclast, I was surprised to find him to be incredibly shy if not social phobic.

and yes, he did tag Carrboro as "Paris of the Piedmont". I still have a "Paris of the Piedmont" tee-shirt which is over 50 years old 😜

For those over 70 Remember the guy on Franklin St. Called himself Jesus-looked like Jesus. His mom ran the laundry mat right on 100 block of Franklin. I think he had an apt more or less above Hectors. ‘Twas suicide that took him out the second story window onto the street near Hectors

The guy jumped out of a second story window to his death? In the early 1970s?

Thanks for the back story. Assuming it is the same Larry, and it almost has to be, he was a regular patron at the bar at Squid's circa 1988-92. He designed the neon fishbone Squid's t-shirt, some of which are still in my closet somewhere till this very day.

Larry must have washed dishes there? That was a bit out of his range. I never knew him to have a car...it would have been dangerous and frankly I doubt he could ever have afforded one. He did walk and sort of hitchhike around town -- people gave him rides. I mentioned that in my post. I would, as would others, simply stop if I saw him walking and ask if he needed a lift. He was often kind of foot-dragging and wobbly anyway.

Someone managed to commit suicide going out a 2nd story window?

Larry must have washed dishes there? That was a bit out of his range. I never knew him to have a car...it would have been dangerous and frankly I doubt he could ever have afforded one. He did walk and sort of hitchhike around town -- people gave him rides. I mentioned that in my post. I would, as would others, simply stop if I saw him walking and ask if he needed a lift. He was often kind of foot-dragging and wobbly anyway.
He may have picked up a shift or two washing dishes, but I mainly remember him as a bar patron. I think he had a friend that drove him there. I just assumed he was living on disability. Never understood how he could afford to drink so much. Was a very talented artist.

IMG_4396.jpeg

Looks like I was wrong about Larry running for mayor - this note from his obituary book seems to confirm it.

IMG_4397.jpeg

It was 1979. Evidently Larry was running against a popular incumbent Robert Drakeford. He washed dishes at Spanky's at the time. Evidently Larry filed and then went mainly mute only stating that he'd like to see better bus service and that he'd be in favor of a Carrboro/Chapel Hill merger. After that he refused to participate in any forums or interviews. Just the same Drakeford garnered some 900 plus votes to Larry's 199.

Last edited:
The last of the Larry Story.

This newspaper article is from small town Chapel Hill — 1965 — and it seems to indicate that even at 21 Larry was a ‘street personality’ in town. Like Catman. Like Jim Cannon. Like Joe Herzenberg or Shike or T-Bird.

IMG_4398.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg

IMG_4397.jpeg

It was 1979. Evidently Larry was running against a popular incumbent Robert Drakeford. He washed dishes at Spanky's at the time. Evidently Larry filed and then went mainly mute only stating that he'd like to see better bus service and that he'd be in favor of a Carrboro/Chapel Hill merger. After that he refused to participate in any forums or interviews. Just the same Drakeford garnered some 900 plus votes to Larry's 199.
Merging Chapel Hill and Carrboro would never fly. Even today. Neither would have wanted it in the ‘70’s and don’t today.

The last of the Larry Story.

This newspaper article is from small town Chapel Hill — 1965 — and it seems to indicate that even at 21 Larry was a ‘street personality’ in town. Like Catman. Like Jim Cannon. Like Joe Herzenberg or Shike or T-Bird.

IMG_4398.jpeg

IMG_4399.jpeg
I first met Jock Lauterer in Neal’s Deli on a Saturday morning. We’d stop in Neal’s for a biscuit after shopping at the Carrboro Farmers’ Market; Jock and his wife were having a biscuit before going to the Market.

As often happens in Neal’s, it’s crowded and often with only two at a 4-top. I don’t remember if we invited them to join us or they’d invited us……regardless, we shared a table in Neal’s a good 100 times over 3-4-5 years. Jock was a great raconteur; his wife was nice as hell.

Back