Congress Catch-All | T - 12 Days to Shutdown | CR with SAVE Act fails in House 9/18

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 62
  • Views: 1K
  • Politics 
Trump angling to shut down the government as part of wild claims about election fraud

Trump angling to shut down the government as part of wild claims about election fraud

If Trump forces a government shutdown (and I think that is fairly unlikely) he is essentially giftwrapping the House to the Democrats, and likely the Senate and presidency, too. He can be so politically stupid at times.

If Trump forces a government shutdown (and I think that is fairly unlikely) he is essentially giftwrapping the House to the Democrats, and likely the Senate and presidency, too. He can be so politically stupid at times.
his diehard fanbase hates the government, up and to the point when they want/ need something from the government. The question is how quickly they will figure out that they need something.

his diehard fanbase hates the government, up and to the point when they want/ need something from the government. The question is how quickly they will figure out that they need something.
That's not the question. His diehard fanbase will support him no matter what.
However, there is roughly 10% of the electorate that is persuadable in either direction. Forcing a government shutdown over this will cause that 10% to vote for Harris and the Democrats.

Joe "You Lie!" Wilson is my representative. He's been a worthless back-bencher for his entire career in Congress. He drags out the same stupid "Joe Means Jobs!" signs every two years. My wife and I called his office a couple of times after January 6 and the Parkland shooting and his asshole staff thanked us for our "unsolicited advice" before abruptly hanging up on us. What an asshole. I once wrote in "Satan" when he ran unopposed as the lesser of two evils. Not to worry, though, his equally assholey son (the current state Attorney General) will likely take his seat when he dies.

"House GOP leadership scrapped plans for a Wednesday vote on the party’s stopgap funding plan, as its chances of passage sank in recent days amid opposition from defense hawks, hard-line conservatives and moderates.

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) had vowed all week to press forward with a vote on his funding plan — which pairs a six-month continuing resolution (CR) with a bill backed by former President Trump that would require proof of citizenship to vote — even as it became clear he did not have the votes to pass it. ...

The decision to pull the vote on the CR and Safeguard American Voter Eligibility (SAVE) Act bill marks a 180 for Johnson, who just 24 hours earlier promised to bring the legislation to the floor despite the mounting opposition.

...The move by Johnson catapults House GOP leadership back to square one, now needing to craft a conservative stopgap that could pass the House and, in turn, increase the party’s leverage in negotiations with Senate Democrats.

If the CR-plus-SAVE Act was any indication, however, the path forward will be tricky.

... Democrats have been pushing for a shorter funding extension and note that noncitizen voting is already illegal, worrying about the proposed additional voter registration hurdles harming eligible voters.

The path to avoiding a government shutdown is further complicated by Trump publicly insisting that the House address voting concerns before agreeing to extend government funding. ..."

"...While a government shutdown at month’s end is still unlikely and unwanted by congressional leaders, it’s the latest episode of Johnson’s repeated struggles this year to muster enough support to pass GOP spending bills, thanks to many of the same problems currently plaguing his conference.

Johnson and GOP leaders have indicated they don't have a fallback plan to stave off a government shutdown that would hit in less than three weeks. The speaker continued pushing for the SAVE Act on Wednesday, even as he announced the vote delay. ..."

“Sen. Joe Manchin (I-W.Va.) has given Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer a potentially easier path to helping President Biden beat former President Trump's record on judicial nominees.

Why it matters: Manchin backtracked Thursday on a March promise to vote "no" on any purely partisan nominees.

• That's a huge win for Schumer, who was previously looking to capitalize on GOP absences or rely on Vice President Kamala Harris to break ties.
In a surprise, Manchin voted to advance the nomination of Kevin Ritz for the U.S. 6th Circuit Court of Appeals, even though it picked up no Republican support.

• One lingering question: Manchin's team didn't say whether he'd abide by that standard in the future. …”

Future cast — GOP makes clear they are too fearful of Trump to oppose his idiotic tariff plan if Trump is elected, even though they think it would be terrible for inflation and the middle class.

Stop me if this sounds familiar.
It looks like this time a new issue is being inserted. Requiring verifications of citizenship to vote. On its face, this seems reasonable. But is this really a significant problem?
Only citizens can register to vote already. What evidence is there of a widespread occurrence of unregistered persons being permitted to vote?
Is it just me, or does inserting this as an issue into budget negotiations a month out from the Presidential election fail the sniff test?

I spoke with a woman yesterday afternoon who was trying to take care of a traffic ticket for her grandson. I had asked that he get me a copy of his driving history, and she advised that he had been by the DMV several times and told each time it would be a 4 hour wait. She attributed the wait to illegal immigrants trying to use passports to register to vote. I assured her that she was mistaken, that undocumented immigrants cannot register or vote. She retorted that she has evidence that they were using fraudulent passports to register. I suggested she contact Donald to share this evidence, as I am sure he would be tickled to death to get some actual evidence of voter fraud. She chuckled, and I quickly changed the subject.

How do you prove you’re a citizen?
Registration is done by the states. Requirements vary but some form of official ID or verification is usually required. It can be DMV, military, or an official government document verifying your name and residence address, such as a passport. Here in VA it can be a current student or employee photograph ID.

Registration is done by the states. Requirements vary but some form of official ID or verification is usually required. It can be DMV, military, or an official government document verifying your name and residence address, such as a passport. Here in VA it can be a current student or employee photograph ID.
Wat?

Back