• Thread starter Thread starter mpaer
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 87
  • Views: 515
  • Off-Topic 

mpaer

Esteemed Member
ZZL Supporter
Would love to hear from some on this Board who are informed about potential " Strategory " to increase Housing Starts... I spent some time with a Contractor this past weekend who said " Well if we give new Homeowners $25,000-I can promise you contractors will lean in on charging $25,000 more for starter homes "

Would love to hear from some on this Board who are informed about potential " Strategory " to increase Housing Starts... I spent some time with a Contractor this past weekend who said " Well if we give new Homeowners $25,000-I can promise you contractors will lean in on charging $25,000 more for starter homes "
Econ 10 is about as "informed" as I get, but they did teach me about supply and demand, so intuitively I'd say "doesn't matter". More starter home inventory means lower starter home prices (assuming you hold demand constant).

Econ 10 is about as "informed" as I get, but they did teach me about supply and demand, so intuitively I'd say "doesn't matter". More starter home inventory means lower starter home prices (assuming you hold demand constant).
I'll take it Ddseddse !

Heavily taxing Air B and Bs and the like will certainly open up supply. Canada is also in a housing crisis and Halifax is one of the worst cities. There is someone in town here with 47 Air BnB listings

This isn't going to be terribly responsive but not completely off topic. First, contractors are a lot more competitive than collusive and pricing ranges are so different what he said wouldn't really happen directly. It would more likely manifest as upselling. That was my experience in 40 years of carpentry and such.

Some of the current costs are going to come down. The question will be if they are passed along. Both technology and green energy prices will decrease effectively as they continue to mature. I have no idea why people seem to be blind to how much new tech and new code requirements have added to home costs. I'll bet my son's new house has 3 miles of speaker and computer network wiring , solar batteries and a computer room that would run a small business. Of course , much of that is excessive and he knew it but even adjusted for inflation, he could have bought a three bedroom house for that money in 1968.

Also, in 68, you may or may not have had to have any insulation, any form of heat, any solid sheathing or an enclosed foundation.

Heavily taxing Air B and Bs and the like will certainly open up supply. Canada is also in a housing crisis and Halifax is one of the worst cities. There is someone in town here with 47 Air BnB listings
Appreciate it..The idea that Hedge funds or Chiner or whomever are gobbling up Rental homes and jacking up the rent seems true. Not sure how to tell some Investors they "can't do it "

This isn't going to be terribly responsive but not completely off topic. First, contractors are a lot more competitive than collusive and pricing ranges are so different what he said wouldn't really happen directly. It would more likely manifest as upselling. That was my experience in 40 years of carpentry and such.

Some of the current costs are going to come down. The question will be if they are passed along. Both technology and green energy prices will decrease effectively as they continue to mature. I have no idea why people seem to be blind to how much new tech and new code requirements have added to home costs. I'll bet my son's new house has 3 miles of speaker and computer network wiring , solar batteries and a computer room that would run a small business. Of course , much of that is excessive and he knew it but even adjusted for inflation, he could have bought a three bedroom house for that money in 1968.

Also, in 68, you may or may not have had to have any insulation, any form of heat, any solid sheathing or an enclosed foundation.
Thanks Finesse. I was looking for your informed opinion

If that creates an incentive for builders to build starter homes rather than McMansions or other types of housing, that could be a perfectly acceptable outcome.

A big part of the current problem is that a builder can build a larger house and/or add on amenities and collect a much larger profit. For instance, let's say that a builder could build a starter home (say 1400 sq ft) that would go to market at $160k. It'd cost them about $140k to do all the things to acquire the land and build that house and so they'd make about $20k on that house once all is said and done. Or they can take the same property and build a 2000 sq ft house with some upgrades that would cost them 175k and an extra week or two to build and they could sell that house for $225k. Most builders, being motivated by profit, will build the bigger house and take the additional revenue (an extra $65k) for a fairly small additional investment ($35k + a small time increase). The profit for each ends up being $20k on the starter home vs $50k on the bigger/nicer house.

But if the builder knows there is an incentive for building the starter home, that can shift their rational choice toward starter homes. Let's say that now there's a $25k government assistance for folks who aren't currently homeowners to get into a "starter home" (which would have to be defined). Now building that 1400 sq ft house becomes much more attractive to the builder because they can now reasonably charge $180-185k for that same house because the government is picking up $25k of the tab for the buyer. If the new market price for that house is now $180k, that gives them $40k profit on the $140k investment to build the starter home (28.6% ROI as compared to 22.2% for the bigger/nicer house) and incentivizes them to focus more on starter homes.

(Note: The numbers here are completely fictional, but they serve to illustrate the point. The breakeven point for builders would vary on market conditions in each market so there's no real way to make an across-the-board example that works in real numbers.)

If that creates an incentive for builders to build starter homes rather than McMansions or other types of housing, that could be a perfectly acceptable outcome.

A big part of the current problem is that a builder can build a larger house and/or add on amenities and collect a much larger profit. For instance, let's say that a builder could build a starter home (say 1400 sq ft) that would go to market at $160k. It'd cost them about $140k to do all the things to acquire the land and build that house and so they'd make about $20k on that house once all is said and done. Or they can take the same property and build a 2000 sq ft house with some upgrades that would cost them 175k and an extra week or two to build and they could sell that house for $225k. Most builders, being motivated by profit, will build the bigger house and take the additional revenue (an extra $65k) for a fairly small additional investment ($35k + a small time increase). The profit for each ends up being $20k on the starter home vs $50k on the bigger/nicer house.

But if the builder knows there is an incentive for building the starter home, that can shift their rational choice toward starter homes. Let's say that now there's a $25k government assistance for folks who aren't currently homeowners to get into a "starter home" (which would have to be defined). Now building that 1400 sq ft house becomes much more attractive to the builder because they can now reasonably charge $180-185k for that same house because the government is picking up $25k of the tab for the buyer. If the new market price for that house is now $180k, that gives them $40k profit on the $140k investment to build the starter home (28.6% ROI as compared to 22.2% for the bigger/nicer house) and incentivizes them to focus more on starter homes.

(Note: The numbers here are completely fictional, but they serve to illustrate the point. The breakeven point for builders would vary on market conditions in each market so there's no real way to make an across-the-board example that works in real numbers.)
Thanks Now in your example the house goes from 160-180-but yea there are more homes and maybe the 20K "inflation " would moderate?

Thanks Now in your example the house goes from 160-180-but yea there are more homes and maybe the 20K "inflation " would moderate?
To be clear, incentives change markets (that's why they are an incentive)...so there is very much a risk that a straight $25k assistance for purchasing a starter home will increase starter home prices (overall, not necessarily to the buyer due to the assistance).

But even if that happens, there would be other positive outcomes:

- Greater housing supply would lead to potentially lower rental prices as folks move from renting to owning, which would bring down housing costs across all unit types as rents would presumably decrease.

- Existing starter homes would also increase in value (perhaps not as much), building wealth for those owners.

- Higher starter home prices could be enough to convince some starter homeowners to move up to a "mid-level" house (say the 2000 sq ft home at $225k) due to the increased value they can get from their own starter home that can be put toward a nicer house, which would put another starter home on the market.

Such a program, if done on a significant enough scale to truly impact the availability of starter homes, would likely lead to an increase in home prices across the board...but it would hopefully do so in a way that increases housing (owned and rental units) availability across the board and creates positive outcomes for both homeowners (higher home wealth) and renters (lower rent costs due to greater unit availability) while appropriately incentivizing builders.

If we give new homeowners $25K, it will not push prices for starter homes up by $25K. This is basically a question about what economists call the "incidence" of a subsidy -- that is, after all the money filters through the system, who will end up benefitting by how much. Incidence is an important subfield in economics and it's complicated. Here are some considerations:

1. Ordinary versus not-ordinary goods. So by "ordinary" goods, I am referring to goods that resemble things you buy at the grocery store. Well, actually, I am referring to goods that are like "widgets," the fictional consumer items that economists analyze in price theory; most things at the grocery store are widgets in that sense. Note that "ordinary" is my term, not necessarily what you'd read in an economic textbook.

A. Ordinary goods, aka, widgets have a few properties. First, their demand is linear, not lumpy. That is to say, people will buy as many widgets as they want, which is in part a function of how many widgets they can afford. You know, like food items. If I bought a steak yesterday, it doesn't preclude me from buying steak today. Also, demand for widgets is independent of what widget suppliers might do. For instance, if you're hungry, you'll buy food and if you're not, you won't. Food producers can entice you with mouth-watering advertisements for ice cream sundaes or the most unrealistically amazing Big Mac you'll ever see, but they can't fundamentally change whether you are hungry or not. Supply of widgets is also relatively unconstrained. If there's a shortage of widgets, the widget producers will produce more widgets, and the ones being produced will be more or less equivalent (or at least interchangeable) with the others.

So in a market full of widgets, we have a pretty good idea of the incidence of various policies. Sales taxes end up being paid by the consumer, though for bigger ticket items, not entirely. Tariffs are sales taxes, in essence, and also end up being paid primarily by the consumer; for smaller ticket items like consumer goods or raw materials, probably close to 100%. Production subsidies are paid primarily by the government, and so on.

B. Non-ordinary goods, by contrast, violate at least one of the conditions above. For instance, some markets are characterized by supplier-induced demand. That is, if you go to the doctor, and the doctor says you need a follow-up appointment in three weeks, you'll probably do the follow-up. You're seeing the doctor, after all, because you don't know what to do for your body. But the doctor could be using the follow-up to fill some softness in his or her schedule (I've had many appointments which seem to me to be completely unnecessary and basically just a way for the doctor to bill an extra visit). The point is that the doctor, who is the supplier, is a major determinant of the demand for his/her services. This is true for lawyers as well, perhaps even more so. Supplier-induced demand is the type of market imperfection that justifies government intervention. It's one reason why free market medicine can never work.

Houses are a non-ordinary good in two senses here. First, their demand is lumpy. Basically, everyone needs one home. Some well-to-do people might also have a vacation house, but it drops off fairly quickly after that. Only very rich people tend to have a third house. Here I'm not counting rentals, as the landlord is more of a supplier than a consumer. So if everyone has a home, there's little need for more homes. Moreover, there are almost always geographical constraints. If you work in Chapel Hill, you'll want a house in Orange County, or maybe parts of Durham County or maybe you'd drive al the way to Wake but you're not going to live in Asheville. And while you might move to Asheville, you very rarely move for the house. You move for other reasons, and find a house to suit you. The point here is that demand for houses is capped in complex ways that are tied to population growth, migration, economic conditions, etc.

Houses are also a non-ordinary good in the sense that they aren't directly comparable. A house in Chapel Hill is just not the same as a house in Hillsborough. They can be substitutes for each other, but imperfectly so -- as we've noted on these boards many times, in reference to young people frustrated that they can't afford to buy a house where they like to party. Now, imperfect substitution is a property of most economic goods -- i.e. if I can't get kale at the store, I might use bok choy instead. But when I do buy kale, it's pretty much the same thing all the time, as is the bok choy and the difference between them isn't all that significant. Not true for houses at all.

2. So, because houses are not ordinary goods, I would not expect the normal rules of incidence to apply. The answer is more complex -- and for that reason, the idea that prices will rise by 25K in response to a 25K consumer subsidy is likely false. I don't know if it will be 80-20 (that is, prices will rise by 20K out of 25K), 20-80 (prices will rise by 5K) or 50-50, but I very much doubt it will be close to the 100-0 that the contractor is describing.

That's in large part because of the properties described above. First time homebuyers are not the only people buying starter homes, and the mix of first timers and others is not necessarily obvious or predictable. For instance, if a battery manufacturer decides to open a large new factory in a small town or exurban area, the local builders should get busy because they are going to need more homes. Some will be starter homes, for the newly employed workers and for the young, educated low-level engineers who make more money than the line workers. But some of those young engineers might already own homes, and are being forced to buy a new one because their employer transferred them to the new plant. They won't necessarily want or be able to afford a nicer home, but they aren't first-timers. Starter homes can also be appealing to older folks who are downsizing, or to people who own homes but have gone broke and need something smaller, etc. etc.

So if the home builder tries to jack up prices by $25K across the board . . . well, why aren't the prices that high right now? When the mix of buyers is 100% non-subsidized, you'd expect to see an efficient market price. When the mix of buyers is 50% subsidized, prices can increase to some degree but the non-subsidized buyers still need a place to live and aren't interested in paying $25K more than they are now. So what you'd expect to see is a lesser increase. That homes are individually negotiable and exist in price ranges helps mitigate this factor to some degree, but I doubt it would do that much.

In addition, remember the problem of overall housing demand. Only so many homes are needed. Builder over-capacity is really costly for them. So they have an incentive to under-supply the market in normal times. But remember the example of a factory moving to a new location? Yeah, they will start building because they anticipate a very likely surge in demand. Well, a subsidy could do the same thing. It could incentivize new construction, by providing something of a captive market (i.e. people can only get the credit if they buy a home). And that would tend to bring prices down, as other posters have noted. In theory, the increase in new home supply could mean that prices will stay the same, that the effect of the $25K subsidy would be spur enough construction that home prices won't move. I doubt that, but it's possible.

Bottom line, tl;dr: I would not expect a $25K new homeowner subsidy to increase prices for starter homes (which is itself an artificial category that is only partly justified by economic reality) by $25K. I would expect something less. Let's say 12K, because a 50-50 split sounds good. You'd have to have a lot of data to predict the amount with any accuracy. My intuition, based on old studies I read years ago on analogous non-ordinary goods (e.g. autos, which I would call semi-ordinary; they aren't as constrained as houses for a number of reasons, but they aren't food either), would be that the incidence would hover in the 50-50 region, by which I mean it could be 25-75 or 75-25 but is unlikely to be 10-90 or 90-10. But that's just a guess.

That's not what Econ 10 teaches. I mean, you probably took it a long time ago, and that's fine. Anyway, Econ 10 tends to assume pass-through of all costs. Econ 10 will tell you, for instance, that if the costs of employment go up, worker wages will decrease because the total amount of labor expense is fixed by the market. For instance, workers end up absorbing all of the SS tax, even though technically the employer pays half. Econ 10 would thus say that subsidies would also pass-through.

But Econ 10 is way too simple to deal with non-ordinary goods like homes, and too simple also to deal with selective subsidies, which would complicate the analysis by a lot. A 25K subsidy for some buyers and a 0K subsidy for others won't have the same effect as a 12K subsidy for everyone -- or at least, there's no reason that it would have to.

To build on this point, I think it's more likely that builders under-build, and they under-build especially for starter homes for some of the reasons you discuss, but other reasons also.

To take your numbers, the universe of potential buyers for the $160K house is likely greater than for the $225K. But the universe of actual buyers might be small, because a lot of people in the market for the $160K home are likely to have poor credit and thus could have trouble getting financing. I would think that sales of starter homes is more sensitive to economic conditions than middle homes, because the types of folks who are buying the middle homes have more stable employment. Doctors do fine in a recession. Manufacturing companies are likely to lay off line workers, and less willing to cut their R&D staff (though wages might fall a little bit). So building the $160K house is riskier than the $225K house. I don't know if the profit per house would change all that much (econ 10 says the profit should be the same), but the risk profile should.

That said, a lot of this discussion is really a set of empirical questions, and hand-waving, intuition and reasoning from first principles are not terribly good ways to answer empirical questions.

That's not what Econ 10 teaches. I mean, you probably took it a long time ago, and that's fine. Anyway, Econ 10 tends to assume pass-through of all costs. Econ 10 will tell you, for instance, that if the costs of employment go up, worker wages will decrease because the total amount of labor expense is fixed by the market. For instance, workers end up absorbing all of the SS tax, even though technically the employer pays half. Econ 10 would thus say that subsidies would also pass-through.

But Econ 10 is way too simple to deal with non-ordinary goods like homes, and too simple also to deal with selective subsidies, which would complicate the analysis by a lot. A 25K subsidy for some buyers and a 0K subsidy for others won't have the same effect as a 12K subsidy for everyone -- or at least, there's no reason that it would have to.
It was a long time ago, and I was not a good econ student, but I like to debate because I invariably learn from it... With that in mind:

I think we might agree with this part of my analysis: "More starter home inventory means lower starter home prices (assuming you hold demand constant)" (and here maybe we can add "holding all other non-subsidy factors constant too"). Are we good so far?

To that analysis I'll add an assumption that home construction productivity will at least be constant if not increase due to a subsidy. Still OK?

The effect of a subsidy will be to reallocate home construction productivity towards the types of subsidized homes as a portion of overall production.

That will result in net change in inventory of the subsidized types of homes. Which will drive the costs of those homes lower regardless of who the benefit of the subsidized house accrues to (the home buyer or the contractor).

And here is seems you are quite concerned with who directly benefits from the subsidy, i.e. what proportion accrues to whom. And that's great, but that's not what I'm concerned with. I'm concerned with what the first time home buyer is concerned with, "How much does it cost to buy a starter home?"

I don't know if it will drive home prices down 1:1 wrt the subsidy (almost definitely won't, that's not what I'm arguing), but the increase in inventory will affect every purchase of a starter home in that market year after year after year as homes are bought and resold, and my intuitive expectation is that the benefit to buyers of these types of home will dwarf by an order of magnitude the original cash out lay of the subsidy.

Feel free to pick this apart all you want. I don't see a fundamental flaw in this logic, and if you do and can explain it to me lucidly, I will have leaned something.

I'm moving the discussion from the debate thread. Let me start with a post from another poster and I'll add my thoughts

" I think we might agree with this part of my analysis: "More starter home inventory means lower starter home prices (assuming you hold demand constant)" (and here maybe we can add "holding all other non-subsidy factors constant too"). Are we good so far?

To that analysis I'll add an assumption that home construction productivity will at least be constant if not increase due to a subsidy. Still OK?

The effect of a subsidy will be to reallocate home construction productivity towards the types of subsidized homes as a portion of overall production.

That will result in net change in inventory of the subsidized types of homes. Which will drive the costs of those homes lower regardless of who the benefit of the subsidized house accrues to (the home buyer or the contractor).

And here is seems you are quite concerned with who directly benefits from the subsidy, i.e. what proportion accrues to whom. And that's great, but that's not what I'm concerned with. I'm concerned with what the first time home buyer is concerned with, "How much does it cost to buy a starter home?"

I don't know if it will drive home prices down 1:1 wrt the subsidy (almost definitely won't, that's not what I'm arguing), but the increase in inventory will affect every purchase of a starter home in that market year after year after year as homes are bought and resold, and my intuitive expectation is that the benefit to buyers of these types of home will dwarf by an order of magnitude the original cash out lay of the subsidy.

Feel free to pick this apart all you want. I don't see a fundamental flaw in this logic, and if you do and can explain it to me lucidly, I will have leaned something."

1. More starter home inventory should mean lower starter home prices, all else being equal. Note this isn't always true for non-ordinary goods; for instance, prices for lawyers doesn't depend much on supply of lawyers (and I've seen studies suggesting an inverse correlation -- i.e. more lawyers equals higher prices because the presence of lawyers increases demand for them by even more). But for houses, I think you're right. It's a conventional wisdom that I don't have any reason to doubt.

2. The effect of the subsidy *probably* change the overall mix of inventory as you suggest. It depends on the size of the subsidy, right? A 1K subsidy would probably have little to no effect. A subsidy of 90% of the purchase price would make starter homes dominate construction (though the category of starter home would greatly expand). I'm assuming that someone in Kamala's team ran a $25K subsidy by some economists or industry experts, who told her that it would change incentives at least somewhat (this is how Dem policy proposals work), and it seems that it would have an effect, so I'll agree on this one as well.

Let me create the thread here, and then get to the points of disagreement in the next post

I hope that it will help folks be able to purchase a home. It's pretty demoralizing to work 40+ hours / week and not even be able to get close to the level it takes to afford a home. However, I'm worried that this, like with student loans, will simply drive the entry prices upwards. Having said that, I have no idea what needs to be done to combat this issue, and it's good to see them trying something. (If it matters, I live in the Bay area.)

3. Now to disagreement. First a clarification in terms. Incidence analysis is asking the same question you are -- it's a prediction about what will happen to prices. "Who will pay" is a popular conceptual shorthand, which might or might not be helpful for you. If not, then don't worry about it. Anyway, when we say the subsidy will be incident upon builders primarily, that means that the primary effect of the subsidy would be to increase prices by close to 25K. In other words, the subsidy won't make anything more affordable. By contrast, if the subsidy is incident upon consumers, then it will have the intended effect.

Onto the analysis. Here we'd need to separate short-term from longer-term factors. In the short-term, new construction is relatively static. So the immediate effect of a subsidy would likely be unaffected by the inventory effect of higher supply. The resulting change in prices will be determined by the sensitivities of demand to prices and to subsidies. That is, it's primarily a story about consumer behavior, not supplier behavior. In the short-term, we'd model the supplier as a profit maximizer with a neutral supply.

In the medium term, the inventory effects would start to kick in. Let's assume for a moment that the inventory effects are typical (which as noted below won't necessarily be true). There will now be more money chasing more homes. It's hard to know how that will shake out. It's possible that the current level of affordability is the equilibrium, and that the inventory effect will only keep up with the additional supply. This is the "price increases will basically swallow the subsidy" story.

In fact, if it was an across-the-board subsidy to everyone, I'm thinking that scenario is fairly likely. It wouldn't be 100-0, but I'm not sure housing would become more affordable. The reason is that demand elasticity is probably higher than supply elasticity in this market -- which is a fancy way of saying that buyers will react more strongly to the subsidy than sellers. Buyers would enter the market in greater numbers than new houses. On a micro level, builders are more sophisticated than buyers, and that would tend to work to their advantage. On the other hand, buyers are liquidity constrained and that fact, oddly enough, helps them. The best market in which to buy any tradeable good is the one where everyone else is poor. Their poverty keeps your price down. LOL.

4. As I'm typing this, I'm being forced to think about it more deeply, and I find myself gravitating even more toward the position that the increased inventory will not make housing more affordable - at least not in the medium term, and not for an across the board subsidy. The issue is that the subsidy really isn't changing the underlying equilibrium, which is that buyers on the margin are willing to pay X% of their income for their house. If we model home buyer behavior as "people tend to buy as much home as they can afford" (which I think is an accurate model of the actual market), then the new homebuyer subsidy will let people buy more home than they can now. But because you can't really buy half a home, what will happen is that the people who are scraping by to get into their homes will now scrape by to get into slightly nicer homes. So they will get more for their money, perhaps, but there will be few benefits for people who right now can't get anything.

5. Ah, but there's another meaning of the term "affordable." People sometimes struggle to buy houses not because they can't afford the monthly payments, but because they can't get enough cash for a down payment. These are people who are bad at saving and budgeting, which is to say a lot of people, especially young people. Living paycheck to paycheck is, after all, a choice for many people who do it. Anyway, if this is the issue, then down payment assistance would help them a lot -- precisely because it can't be diverted into other consumption. You can't take your down payment assistance and go out to eat instead.

If this is the story behind housing unaffordability, then the down payment assistance could make housing more affordable even if it raises prices. Also, higher down payments mean lower LTV and thus lower interest rates.

6. As I said, this shit is complicated. This is why it's better to have actual models than people spit-balling. I don't know how to weigh these different factors.

I can move the posts from that thread over here if you guys want but they'll precede the first post in this thread...

I hope that it will help folks be able to purchase a home. It's pretty demoralizing to work 40+ hours / week and not even be able to get close to the level it takes to afford a home. However, I'm worried that this, like with student loans, will simply drive the entry prices upwards. Having said that, I have no idea what needs to be done to combat this issue, and it's good to see them trying something. (If it matters, I live in the Bay area.)
It is, by the way, far from clear that student loans are making education more expensive. I mean, maybe a little bit, but not by that much. There's an effect called the Baumol effect, which predicts that service-intensive goods will increase in price relative to more tradeable goods. Basically, the idea is that a university professor's productivity hasn't changed much over the years. The professor still teaches three or four courses a year, and class size is relatively constant. However, you have to keep paying the university professors more to keep up with salaries in industries with rising productivity; otherwise, fewer people will be professors. Well, when salaries increase because of productivity gains, that doesn't raise prices -- but when salaries increase without productivity gains, as in universities, the Baumol effect forces the relative cost of university education up.

Economists have found that the price trajectory of university education isn't very different from, say, veterinary services. That suggests it's not credit driving prices, but rather the Baumol effect. I don't want to overstate my case; loan availability probably does affect prices to some degree, but it's far from clear that it's the primary culprit.

In the Bay Area, I would not expect the subsidy to make any difference at all. That's because the elevated prices there are more a function of restrictive building codes than anything. So the inventory won't really change, and there will just be a bit more money chasing the same amount of houses. It might make financing more available, though.

When you say that you can't get close to the level of affording a home, are you talking about down payment issues or monthly payment issues?

I assume the subsidy will be capped by home price (it should be at least) so that there will be a hard cap on "buying more house" because of the subsidy.

But, regardless, without the cap it still works.

If I buy a $225,000 house because I can afford it under the subsidy instead of the $200,000 house I was going to, BY DEFINITION, the $200,000 house is empty inventory on the market, and therefore depressing prices for homes in the $200k category.

I honestly think you may be over-complicating this.

Back