Everything wrong with the "Uncommitted" movement

Kamala blunted the effect of the protestors today so it doesn’t seem like much of a problem assuming they ultimately vote for her. I’m sympathetic so I’m ok with them making their voices heard but they will lose my sympathy if they take their protest into the voting booth.

Your proposal would ring incredibly hollow considering the fact that we currently support governments other than Israel who starve children.
1. Which governments that we currently support starve children?
2. That we might be wrong in other areas doesn't mean we shouldn't do the right thing here. It's like when leftists criticized Clinton for sending troops to protect Kosovo. The argument was that since we didn't send troops to Rwanda, it would be hypocritical to send them to Kosovo. I cannot buy into that logic at all.

I think the void the left experiences in the US is due to the decline of organized labor. Starting to see that come back a bit with unions like the UAW pushing for a ceasefire.

Unions have democratic legitimacy and actual political leverage.
Unions are not really creatures of the left. The fact that a very sizeable portion of union members in this country are Trumpists tells you that much. It's fine to want unions on economic grounds, but they aren't going to be leaders of any unified left until they can distance themselves from their racist not-so-past. And given the extent of Trumpism support in the rank and file, I'm not seeing that happening any time soon.

Unions are not really creatures of the left. The fact that a very sizeable portion of union members in this country are Trumpists tells you that much. It's fine to want unions on economic grounds, but they aren't going to be leaders of any unified left until they can distance themselves from their racist not-so-past. And given the extent of Trumpism support in the rank and file, I'm not seeing that happening any time soon.
Unions did financially support the Civil rights movement in the 60s-heavily as far as I know ?

because the FBI was able to kill their figurehead.
Wut? Who or what are you talking about? Are you going with the "James Earl Ray was an FBI stooge" concept here or are you talking about Fred Hampton (who I believe was killed by Chicago police but the FBI was involved in the raid). The killing of Hampton was a travesty, but Hampton was not the figurehead of any movement.

Every movement needs their "I-just-learned-about-this-issue-last-semester-so-lets-use-dads-credit-card-to-buy-jaeger-shots-and-go-to-that-rally" contingent
drink enough jaeger and they'll be learning about another COMPLETELY different type of movement

Unions did financially support the Civil rights movement in the 60s-heavily as far as I know ?
There are a lot of unions out there. Some unions supported the Civil Rights movement. Walther Reuther was fully aligned with MLK and the NAACP.

Other unions -- and union rank-and-file -- were less supportive. The Teamsters went all the way to the Supreme Court to protect its racist seniority system.

Like I said earlier, the left has deliberately moved away from these iconic figureheads. The two you mentioned were famously assassinated.
The Left would leap at the opportunity of having an iconic, charismatic, articulate leader such as Martin Luther King.

They haven’t “moved away” from such a leader - they haven’t had one. Granted, MLK’s don’t grown on trees.

1. Which governments that we currently support starve children?
2. That we might be wrong in other areas doesn't mean we shouldn't do the right thing here. It's like when leftists criticized Clinton for sending troops to protect Kosovo. The argument was that since we didn't send troops to Rwanda, it would be hypocritical to send them to Kosovo. I cannot buy into that logic at all.
1. Saudi Arabia
2. I never said anything different.

Back