GOP slouches into the Crazy -IMMIGRATION Edition | Trump Won’t Condemn Bomb Threats in Springfield OH

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 770
  • Views: 16K
  • Politics 
You’re not going to find one factor that led to the rise of MAGA, but I don’t think we get to where we are today without the social isolation we experience as a country that was only exacerbated by Covid.
It's all based in racism, bigotry and Christian nationalism. We already had people like this, but they went crazy after a man of color was elected twice, the gay and trans community starting getting the same rights and treated like everyone else, and the rise of the diversity and inclusion movement. Trump is their savior to being back the country they want only for straight, white Christian nationalists. They can't handle anything different outside their bubble. They are afraid of losing their advantage in society of just being a straight, white Christian. They don't care that Trump is a narcissistic sociopath. That's actually a plus to them because someone like that could give them the fascist nation they want as long as they worship him.

Okay, I see what you’re saying. I think it comes down to the fact that there are multiple drivers of this ideology because I agree with what you’re saying.
Any societal movement has a lot of inputs and there's really no way to narrow it down to just one.

But I find that obvious truth to be inconvenient, so I'm ignoring it in favor of thinking that collective narcissism is the main issue. I have no real clue if I'm right, but I like my theory so I'm holding on to it. 🤷‍♀️

Just got done reading Rick Perlstein’s book on Barry Goldwater a few months back. 100% these ideas have always been with us. The job of conservatives is to repackage arguments that they’ve been using since the French Revolution. Their job is to make economic privilege popular in an ostensibly democratic system.
I'm halfway through it... and have been for going on two years now... just got so damn depressing seeing the same story repeated again in real time that you're reading about from the past century. I'm convinced one day I'm going to finish it... One day...

Who could have predicted this way back on page 22? So he's sending in troopers rather than calling up the Guard, but still.....

I would not be surprised if DeWine brings in the National Guard to protect the schools and municipal buildings in Springfield. These GOP folks talk about Springfield like it is some isolated West Virginia downtrodden community. It is a suburb of Dayton (30 minute drive) and is 45 minutes west of Columbus. The Haitians are in Springfield because jobs were available, jobs the locals weren't interested in. The employers in town are happy to have them. They are in the country legally and are working (and paying taxes) legally.

I'm halfway through it... and have been for going on two years now... just got so damn depressing seeing the same story repeated again in real time that you're reading about from the past century. I'm convinced one day I'm going to finish it... One day...
Admittedly, I listened to it on Audible. I don’t absorb as much info doing that, but it allowed me to get through it at least lol. Depressing but good info about how we got to where we are today.

JD Vance —> calling out intentional disinformation and political propaganda is the same thing as political violence

JD Vance —> calling out intentional disinformation and political propaganda is the same thing as political violence

Sooooo, the bomb threats ARENT hoaxes, they actually happened. WHO is doing them may be at dispute, but they actually occurred and would not have happened without this rhetoric about eating pets.

MAGA wants people to stop telling the truth about Trump and what he and the supporters are all about because they're scared decent people might not like them.

Back