Housing Issues (f/k/a Harris Economic Agenda Speech)

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 196
  • Views: 3K
I can see that, I just hope there are impact taxes to make sure that the area can handle the number of cars and people.

There is a neighborhood going in near us that has apartments, houses, townhomes, and retail. The apartments are very dense. The overall project looks good, but the roads need to be improved around it. Until they improve the roads, I suspect that it will be a nightmare getting in and out in the morning.
The housing shortage wont be fixed by building a few single family homes in the suburbs.

The housing shortage wont be fixed by building a few single family homes in the suburbs.
Agree but apartments are not home ownership. We don't have to only build one thing.

There are so many neighborhoods going up around where I live and none of them are affordable for entry level purchasers. Yes, we need density and apartments, so we have enough places for people to live, but we need a path into home ownership also. The houses that are being built are not entry level in either cost or size.

Agree but apartments are not home ownership. We don't have to only build one thing.

There are so many neighborhoods going up around where I live and none of them are affordable for entry level purchasers. Yes, we need density and apartments, so we have enough places for people to live, but we need a path into home ownership also. The houses that are being built are not entry level in either cost or size.
If infrastructure includes water and sewer then allowing accessory units as well as perhaps duplexes and triplexes would increase density well beyond the Sharia Law HOA's currently restricting everything from which way is the garage faces to visibility of trash cans. Reality is that the only thing new is that which is forgotten. The idea that every home needs a half acre even though they have water and sewer is ridiculous. It's been proven by the 10th of an acre subdivisions exploding across Holly Springs, Apex, Fuquay Varina etc.

Condos are ownership.

Why is ownership important?

What we don’t need is more suburbs that waste resources.

If infrastructure includes water and sewer then allowing accessory units as well as perhaps duplexes and triplexes would increase density well beyond the Sharia Law HOA's currently restricting everything from which way is the garage faces to visibility of trash cans. Reality is that the only thing new is that which is forgotten. The idea that every home needs a half acre even though they have water and sewer is ridiculous. It's been proven by the 10th of an acre subdivisions exploding across Holly Springs, Apex, Fuquay Varina etc.
What do you mean by Sharia Law?

What do you mean by Sharia Law?
Do you have a HOA where you live? Remember when the line before Trump there was a president named Husein Obama and folks lost their minds? A recurring theme was he's going to implement Sharia Law. Of course I would joke and say that if you had an HOA you already get it. What can you park in your driveway, what color can you paint your house, how and what kinda fence can you have...in other words laws that restrict you from being you. But I'm sure you already know that didn't you?

Do you have a HOA where you live? Remember when the line before Trump there was a president named Husein Obama and folks lost their minds? A recurring theme was he's going to implement Sharia Law. Of course I would joke and say that if you had an HOA you already get it. What can you park in your driveway, what color can you paint your house, how and what kinda fence can you have...in other words laws that restrict you from being you. But I'm sure you already know that didn't you?
Why are you making a racist joke? You didn’t say rabbinical or canon law.

The woman who bought my parent's house 2015, inside beltline Raleigh, said she was willing to pay $100k extra to not live in any HOA development. True story.

Why are you making a racist joke? You didn’t say rabbinical or canon law.
Perhaps I'm ignorant as to the fact saying Sharia Law was racist? I thought it was being used to racially bitch about other folks religious rules(i.e. Barak Husein Obama) when between evangelical Christians and homegrown rednecks and Karen's we are the same way? Point out my racist comments so I can correct it. I'm always willing to change myself and it's taken a while... how about you Harold?
ETA nobody was bitching about Rabbinical or Cannon about Obama which seems like kinda back at you brother?

Half acre is a million dollars around me. I'm talking about lots like my daughter's home which isn't much bigger than the 1000 sq ft home on the lot.

Last edited:
Condos are ownership.

Why is ownership important?

What we don’t need is more suburbs that waste resources.
Yes, but typically people clearly differentiate between ownable condos and rented apartments. If a condo works for a person, then that is a good opportunity for ownership.

Home ownership is important to many people. I want to own my home so that when I retire, I'm not paying monthly rent. I want something I can leave the kids. Something that is mine and has a yard that I can work in.

The city model isn't going to work for everyone. Lots of people want to own their own home and not live where they have another apartment above, below, and on both sides of them. (I know there are end units, that's how this conversation feels like it's going).

Ownership for wealth buildup is opposing to increasing housing availability.
Ownership is in opposition to increasing housing where people fight having more housing, true. Zoning needs to make it easier to build.

How is owning a home for wealth building opposing to increasing housing? One may not build as much wealth with the supply of housing increasing, but the price of the house doesn't have to double between purchase and sell for one to build wealth. If I sell my paid off home for the same as I purchased it for, I've still built wealth and am better off. Had I spent that same money renting for 30 years, what would I have?

We are so behind on where we need to be with housing in this country it will take decades to catch up. Why should we limit what is built and not build a variety of things to meet the wants of many different people?

The woman who bought my parent's house 2015, inside beltline Raleigh, said she was willing to pay $100k extra to not live in any HOA development. True story.
Better stay out of Ga. I believe every new neighborhood in Ga has to have an HOA.

HOAs can be good as well as bad.

So what happens if you are in a neighborhood without an HOA and the neighbor starts a car repair shop in his garage? And your property value is negatively impacted?

This actually happened in my previous neighborhood, the HOA made the guy stop repairing cars in his driveway.

Yes, they can be overbearing sometimes, but they can be beneficial.

My previous neighborhood, the HOA fell apart after we moved. We were in the area a few weeks ago and the neighborhood looks horrible. The front sign has fallen apart, none of the common property is maintained, etc.

My current neighborhood has a lot of landscaping and common areas, without a HOA those would overgrow and turn into woods.

Ownership is in opposition to increasing housing where people fight having more housing, true. Zoning needs to make it easier to build.

How is owning a home for wealth building opposing to increasing housing? One may not build as much wealth with the supply of housing increasing, but the price of the house doesn't have to double between purchase and sell for one to build wealth. If I sell my paid off home for the same as I purchased it for, I've still built wealth and am better off. Had I spent that same money renting for 30 years, what would I have?

We are so behind on where we need to be with housing in this country it will take decades to catch up. Why should we limit what is built and not build a variety of things to meet the wants of many different people?
Although generally it won't equal out, renting saves you on home insurance, HOA/condo fees, new roofs, HVAC sytems, lawn mowers, general repairs, etc. It also saves you the time/hassle involved in all that. Works for many people. And I know quite a few retired folks who sold their house and moved into nice apartments for those reasons.

Edit to add. Most apartments nowadays have pools, exercise rooms, and other amenities. No need to join Planet Fitness. I shoot pool at a friend's apartment clubhouse...

Last edited:
Back