Mark Robinson thread | Report - Pressure on Robinson to drop out?

So let's assume that Robinson does withdraw. His name will still be on the ballot. I don't know what the time frame would be for submitting an alternate candidate, but I suspect it's "immediately" or "shortly thereafter." So who are they going to pick? How are they going to pick that person?

Even if he leaves the ballot, they are toast in the governor's race and probably down ballot as well.
The Supreme Court just made them reprint the ballots once to remove RFK's name. They'll surely require them to do it again to replace the Republican nominee. Even if they actually get sent out tomorrow. the Pubs on the state supreme court would rather cause an absolute cluster than harm their party's electoral prospects.

Just now seeing this and .....damn! This can't be true. Made a mental note to search later. Head over to guardian uk and it's at the top of their page. Just unbelievable.

I don’t like this idea. All he would have to do is run as BILLY Graham, and he’d be GUARANTEED more votes in NC than Robinson was going to get.
He really might win
But it would have to be a write in-Ballots done printed I think What exactly is the 11:59 deadline tonight?

The Supreme Court just made them reprint the ballots once to remove RFK's name. They'll surely require them to do it again to replace the Republican nominee. Even if they actually get sent out tomorrow. the Pubs on the state supreme court would rather cause an absolute cluster than harm their party's electoral prospects.
Maybe. But there are a few problems:

1. Federal law. I don't know who would have a right of action, but plausibly some veterans' groups could go to federal court and sue. They'd get an injunction from the lower court, and it would go to Supremes. I don't trust the Supremes at all, but surely none of them give a fuck about Mark Robinson.

2. The Independent State Legislature doctrine. Oh my, wouldn't this be hilarious. The ISL was *mostly* rejected, but the Court left room to overturn state court decisions that are indefensible as interpretations of state law. That would surely be the case here. So that would arguably confer federal standing.

Watching the NC Supreme Court get hoisted on its own petard would be rich.

Sending them out later than tomorrow would violate federal law. Federal courts and DOJ would be getting involved at that point.

Maybe. But there are a few problems:

1. Federal law. I don't know who would have a right of action, but plausibly some veterans' groups could go to federal court and sue. They'd get an injunction from the lower court, and it would go to Supremes. I don't trust the Supremes at all, but surely none of them give a fuck about Mark Robinson.

2. The Independent State Legislature doctrine. Oh my, wouldn't this be hilarious. The ISL was *mostly* rejected, but the Court left room to overturn state court decisions that are indefensible as interpretations of state law. That would surely be the case here. So that would arguably confer federal standing.

Watching the NC Supreme Court get hoisted on its own petard would be rich.
If any of that was going to happen it would have already happened after the terrible decision on taking RFK's name off the ballot.

ETA: another poster suggested there would be a federal law issue, which was not the case in the RFK case, so perhaps that's what you're referring to. I didn't realize that.

Back