Mass Shooting & Gun Violence catch-all | Kentucky Sheriff kills KY Judge in courthouse?

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 519
  • Views: 8K
  • Politics 
I’m willing to wager that when the shooting cited above happened, very few of the 3,600 students at school at the time were even aware it happened. Had it not been for the response and media coverage, they may not have found out about it until well afterwards. That’s partially my point. Traumatizing these kids in situations like that is not helpful IMO. It would be akin to flight attendants screaming at passengers to don their life jackets and brace for impact whenever the plane hit turbulence, and then wondering why people have a fear of flying.
lol

Been away from the zzl a long time. Had forgotten how persistently "2Many" makes illogical arguments, debates strawmen, and ignores facts that don't fit his narrative.

LOL.

Been away from the zzl a long time. Had forgotten how persistently "2Many" makes illogical arguments, debates strawmen, and ignores facts that don't fit his narrative.

LOL.

I’m one of the only ones presenting facts here. Unless you count hyperbole as “trooth”.

Speaking of facts, what percentage of elementary through high school students are shot at school in a given year?

Statistically speaking they will be just fine. These incidents are high visibility but low frequency events that only impact a fraction of a fraction of a percent of students, thankfully.
Biden should’ve brought you on board to explain that only 13 of the 2,000,000 US military personnel were killed during our exit from Afghanistan. More than 99.99% were completely unaffected.

Biden should’ve brought you on board to explain that only 13 of the 2,000,000 US military personnel were killed during our exit from Afghanistan. More than 99.99% were completely unaffected.

If someone had stated, “man our troops can’t even serve under Biden without being killed” that would be a reasonable response.

I love how people are jumping on one response to one poster who was clearly engaging in hyperbole and are trying to magnify it into something that it clearly wasn’t. No one is saying that what happened today isn’t tragic, or horrific, or unacceptable. But stop telling kids needlessly that they are going to die at school and then wondering why they are traumatized.

Do you drive on public roads? Fly on airplanes? Receive medical care at hospitals? There is risk in literally every single aspect of life.
As far as I know, those things aren’t designed to kill or hurt people and in fact are subject to many laws and regulations
designed to make them safe for people. Not only that, but those things provide substantial benefits and could even be considered necessities.

This isn’t about whether we assume risk. It’s about whether we should strive to minimize risk.

Last edited:
I love how people are jumping on one response to one poster who was clearly engaging in hyperbole and are trying to magnify it into something that it clearly wasn’t. No one is saying that what happened today isn’t tragic, or horrific, or unacceptable. But stop telling kids needlessly that they are going to die at school and then wondering why they are traumatized.
I believe most would believe you're saying that today's events are entirely acceptable. Unpalatable, perhaps, but not unacceptable.

Do you drive on public roads? Fly on airplanes? Receive medical care at hospitals? There is risk in literally every single aspect of life.
Are there speed limits on public roads? Are you allowed to text or drink while driving? Do you have to pass a test, and register your vehicle, in order to drive on those roads (or else face a fine, jail time, etc.)?
As a start, I would be perfectly happy if we put the same restriction on guns as we did on operating a motor vehicle.

As far as I know, those things aren’t designed to kill or hurt people and in fact are subject to many laws and regulations
designed to make them safe for people. Not only that, but those things provide substantial benefits and could even be considered necessities.

This isn’t about whether we assume risk. It’s about whether we should strive to minimize risk.
That’s a different context than how I was using the remark you quoted. The point was that we engage in activities that involve risk every day, and that we are aware of those risks and know the actions we need to take to avoid or respond to them, we don’t obsess over them or magnify them. We teach our kids to be safe behind the wheel, but we don’t traumatize them to the point that they are in tears every time they leave the house.

Are there speed limits on public roads? Are you allowed to text or drink while driving? Do you have to pass a test, and register your vehicle, in order to drive on those roads (or else face a fine, jail time, etc.)?
As a start, I would be perfectly happy if we put the same restriction on guns as we did on operating a motor vehicle.
Sure, we could do those things and it might move the needle a bit but not nearly as much as you might think. I’d argue that we need to better enforce existing gun laws in order to see a more significant drop in gun deaths.

Get the hell on with that BS
I dont fear getting intentionally plowed down while driving. THIS SHIT WAS NOT AN ACCIDENT.

I’m one of the only ones presenting facts here. Unless you count hyperbole as “trooth”.

Speaking of facts, what percentage of elementary through high school students are shot at school in a given year?
Hope you use stats when your own kid gets shot.

But it's fine to you as long as it's not yours. Because stats.

GOD BLESS YOU SUPER IGNORE

I've taken the subway many times in NYC late at night. I've found it to be safe, or at least safe enough. But then again, I've never fallen asleep on the subway. DO. NOT. SLEEP. ON. THE. SUBWAY.
I can’t even sleep on an airplane. I cannot fathom being comfortable enough to sleep around a bunch of people I don’t know. You would get robbed at minimum.

I know what the risks on roads are. Don't drink and drive. Don't ride with someone who drinks and drives. Wear seat belts all the time. Stay off the roads on Friday and Saturday nights. I know the risks of flying. Don't get on a non-commercial airplane. Never get on a plane piloted by a doctor or lawyer. Never get on a plane made by Boeing. It's not the magnitude of the risk. It's whether the risk factors are known. Other than that everyone above the age of ten can get their hands on a military style assault rifle within 3 days of the idea, "I need one," pops into their head, what are the risks of school shootings? Going to school with the children of Trump voters?

I know what the risks on roads are. Don't drink and drive. Don't ride with someone who drinks and drives. Wear seat belts all the time. Stay off the roads on Friday and Saturday nights. I know the risks of flying. Don't get on a non-commercial airplane. Never get on a plane piloted by a doctor or lawyer. Never get on a plane made by Boeing. It's not the magnitude of the risk. It's whether the risk factors are known. Other than that everyone above the age of ten can get their hands on a military style assault rifle within 3 days of the idea, "I need one," pops into their head, what are the risks of school shootings? Going to school with the children of Trump voters?

Boeing makes half of all commercial airliners in existence and flying is safer now than it ever has been. That’s another example of hyperbole with real world consequences. If too many people subscribed to the same belief due to media sensationalism or whatever reason, we’re talking massive job losses and a major ding to the economy.

Rifles of any kind only account for a small percentage of shootings. Roughly 400 deaths a year. More people are murdered each year with blunt objects. And that’s why the numbers matter. Want to save kids from getting shot? Go after the kids illegally carrying Glock switches and you’ll save a ton.

I’m willing to wager that when the shooting cited above happened, very few of the 3,600 students at school at the time were even aware it happened. Had it not been for the response and media coverage, they may not have found out about it until well afterwards. That’s partially my point. Traumatizing these kids in situations like that is not helpful IMO. It would be akin to flight attendants screaming at passengers to don their life jackets and brace for impact whenever the plane hit turbulence, and then wondering why people have a fear of flying.
Are you insane?

So if they just showed up tomorrow and were like "where's Johnny?" and found out, oh he was shot at school yesterday, they would be just fine?

Back