Mass Shooting & Gun Violence catch-all | Kentucky Sheriff kills KY Judge in courthouse?

• Thread starter Thread starter nycfan
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 519
  • Views: 8K
  • Politics 
Are you insane?

So if they just showed up tomorrow and were like "where's Johnny?" and found out, oh he was shot at school yesterday, they would be just fine?
Absolutely. 3,500 would probably be like “who is Johnny” and the other 100 would probably have gotten snapchats from Johnny while he got his toe stitched up. No therapy required.

Absolutely. 3,500 would probably be like “who is Johnny” and the other 100 would probably have gotten snapchats from Johnny while he got his toe stitched up. No therapy required.
Yes luckily nobody died in this shooting and there was only a minor toe injury.

I definitely agree with just continuing business as usual and not using emergency procedures to notify people in the building and try to evacuate. I think that would go over super well with parents.

Boeing makes half of all commercial airliners in existence and flying is safer now than it ever has been. That’s another example of hyperbole with real world consequences. If too many people subscribed to the same belief due to media sensationalism or whatever reason, we’re talking massive job losses and a major ding to the economy. . . ..
No, it would not. It would result in Boeing pulling its corporate head out of its corporate rectum and getting back to making safe airplanes rather than engaging in a death spiral of using corporate income to engage in stock buy-backs to keep stock prices high rather than produce planes that are safe.

Are you insane?

So if they just showed up tomorrow and were like "where's Johnny?" and found out, oh he was shot at school yesterday, they would be just fine?
Well you know, he's in there murdering up a classroom and they just walk by to go to their next class...just walking by the blood splattering the door's window. That would be the smart thing to do, right?

Well you know, he's in there murdering up a classroom and they just walk by to go to their next class...just walking by the blood splattering the door's window. That would be the smart thing to do, right?
It would be less traumatic than evacuating the building, apparently.

It would be less traumatic than evacuating the building, apparently.
100%

Hey son, how was school? "Not bad. Most of Mrs. Smith's class got killed by a gunman. We heard the screaming, but it was annoying because I couldn't hear the teacher explain geometric proofs. I got some blood on my shoes on the way to gym, and it was weird having to get around body bags on stretchers as I went to gym. But you know a day in the life of 2cup's America. I am totally chill that I got to see and hear all of that."

100%

Hey son, how was school? "Not bad. Most of Mrs. Smith's class got killed by a gunman. We heard the screaming, but it was annoying because I couldn't hear the teacher explain geometric proofs. I got some blood on my shoes on the way to gym, and it was weird having to get around body bags on stretchers as I went to gym. But you know a day in the life of 2cup's America. I am totally chill that I got to see and hear all of that."
I’m also imagining the principal explaining to the parents of all the dead kids that it didn’t seem worth worrying them about a shooter in the building before he burst into the next classroom.

This school has a huge Hispanic population. The shooter is white. I hope it’s not the motivation.

A 14 year old should not be tried as an adult. I mean, the whole point of "being tried as an adult" is that kids aren't legally culpable for their actions (because, you know, they are kids with brains that haven't yet developed). I'm OK with sliding it back a year or so in some cases, but if we're trying 14 year olds, then we need to abandon the phrase "tried as an adult" in favor of "tried as a teenager."

The people who should be tried as adults are the adults who were responsible for allowing the 14 year old to have a gun in the first place.

Is our national gun strategy really "let teens and tweens have access to guns; hope they don't make bad decisions; and if they do, throw them in jail for the rest of their lives"? How did we get to this point? Rhetorical questions.

Sure, we could do those things and it might move the needle a bit but not nearly as much as you might think. I’d argue that we need to better enforce existing gun laws in order to see a more significant drop in gun deaths.
Moving the needle a bit saves lives. And I am all for combining that with enforcing existing gun laws better (whatever that means). Do both. Even a 10% reduction would be a win.

Boeing makes half of all commercial airliners in existence and flying is safer now than it ever has been. That’s another example of hyperbole with real world consequences. If too many people subscribed to the same belief due to media sensationalism or whatever reason, we’re talking massive job losses and a major ding to the economy.

Rifles of any kind only account for a small percentage of shootings. Roughly 400 deaths a year. More people are murdered each year with blunt objects. And that’s why the numbers matter. Want to save kids from getting shot? Go after the kids illegally carrying Glock switches and you’ll save a ton.
I'll take my chances with someone throwing a blunt object at me from 50 yards away, as opposed to a gun.
It's been said ad nauseum, but bears repeating. The main issue with guns is that a) you don't have to be within arm's length to kill them, b) you are able to kill/maim multiple people quickly and c) there is no easy way to defend yourself from attack. I'll take my chances against a knife or a blunt object.

I'll take my chances with someone throwing a blunt object at me from 50 yards away, as opposed to a gun.
It's been said ad nauseum, but bears repeating. The main issue with guns is that a) you don't have to be within arm's length to kill them, b) you are able to kill/maim multiple people quickly and c) there is no easy way to defend yourself from attack. I'll take my chances against a knife or a blunt object.
Knifes are more regulated than guns.

Do you drive on public roads? Fly on airplanes? Receive medical care at hospitals? There is risk in literally every single aspect of life.
True. and guess what? We have common sense attempts at minimizing them and their consequences. Guard rails on certain sections of roads. Manufacturers constantly trying ti improve crash safety of cars. Procedures and maintenance checks of all airplanes before flights. Procedures and safety checks before and during surgeries. And can you believe it, doctors and hospitals are allowed to be sued for negligence.

Now compare that to gun regulation, safety measures and requirements, all blocked by the NRA and gun nuts. Thoughts and prayers are the only answer. Very effective.

Back