Most Famous Building in North Carolina?

• Thread starter Thread starter donbosco
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 62
  • Views: 868
While I don't think Dorton is particularly great, it is memorable. Serious question...is there anything memorable in Charlotte?
If “famous” means how many people around the country would recognize it, then yes, of course.

1725202581783.jpeg

What is that?
The atrium at CLT. It’s awful, but millions pass through there every year, and when people around the country ask me where I live, they often respond, “oh, I love those rocking chairs.” I don’t get it, but they seem to be more “famous” than most other specific buildings in NC.

While I don't think Dorton is particularly great, it is memorable. Serious question...is there anything memorable in Charlotte?
The old Charlotte Coliseum (now Bojangles Arena) was an architectural wonder in its day (opened in 1955.) It was the largest unsupported dome in the world until the Astrodome was built in Houston. Today it seats 8-10,000 depending on the event and is home to the Charlotte Checkers and a lot of concerts and stuff that can't fill up the Spectrum Center uptown (where the Hornets play.)

Image 3.jpeg

Charlotte is kind of like Vegas in that they value new and flashy over historic so older buildings have been systematically torn down.

Charlotte is kind of like Vegas in that they value new and flashy over historic so older buildings have been systematically torn down.
Largely agree, with a focus on business rather than entertainment. Means it’s not a great city for architectural aficionados, but that’s one of the many reasons it’s a very comfortable place to live and work.

Threads like this really highlight the divide between Raleigh and Charlotte. I’ve never seen or heard of Dorton Arena before now, and I can’t imagine that experience is much different for others living in the western half of the state.
I've never been there, but I'm very familiar with it as a kid from MACW/JCP/NWA wrestling.

I typically think of it as the Raleigh version of the (original) Charlotte/Bojangles Coliseum.

I've never been there, but I'm very familiar with it as a kid from MACW/JCP/NWA wrestling.

I typically think of it as the Raleigh version of the (original) Charlotte/Bojangles Coliseum.
Haha. I went to several NWA wrestling matches at Bojangles Coliseum back when it was the Charlotte Coliseum. I saw all the NWA legends of the mid- to late-80s.

I also saw my first ever UNC basketball game there when they played The Citadel there in 1987.

The last time I was there was around 2012 for a concert and couldn’t get over how shitty of a building it was. It was built for things such as concerts but the acoustics were terrible. The stage was not visible from my seats. The concourse was WAY too small and cramped.

Just as Dorton is memorable to people from the Triangle (and likely unknown to many people outside the Triangle/eastern NC) there are likely quite a few places in Charlotte that are memorable to those who grew up in the southern Piedmont.

Probably the 2 most famous NC buildings to the general public are the Biltmore House and Cape Hatteras Lighthouse. Having lived in Raleigh for several years I'd say that Dorton is probably the most memorable building in that area for me, just because of its unusual shape and design. I'd also put in a plug for the Reynolds Building in downtown Winston - historically it was likely the most recognized skyscraper in the state until the 80s at least, although in terms of being famous it's almost certainly been replaced by newer and taller buildings, like the Bank of America Corporate Center ("Taj McColl") in Charlotte.

Back