• Thread starter Thread starter Rock
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 138
  • Views: 2K
  • Off-Topic 

Rock

Chef de Cuisine
Staff Member
Comic book movies aren't even particularity my thing, but the news that Robert Downey Jr. is going to play Dr. Doom in Avengers 4: Doomsday is pretty bonkers given the obvious. Dude is Iron Man.

(I hid this just so you wouldn't see his face in the preview before seeing the reveal)

I can't imagine the money they threw at him. Likely the largest overall deal in cinema history for an actor. Something like $50m upfront and 5% of overall gross which will be another $75-100+ million.

Speaking of hundreds of millions, Deadpool & Wolverine is the biggest movie in years. Biggest R-rated opening ever. High audience and critic scores to boot.

Comic book movies aren't even particularity my thing, but the news that Robert Downey Jr. is going to play Dr. Doom in Avengers 4: Doomsday is pretty bonkers given the obvious. Dude is Iron Man.

(I hid this just so you wouldn't see his face in the preview before seeing the reveal)

I can't imagine the money they threw at him. Likely the largest overall deal in cinema history for an actor. Something like $50m upfront and 5% of overall gross which will be another $75-100+ million.

Are they resurrecting my buddy Clark Gregg and his role as Agent Coulson?

If not, they won’t get my $15-30.

I struggle to find good new movies these days. I don’t care at all for the comic book super hero movies (but where were all those movies when I was a kid?). I feel like nearly evey big movie now is a sequel, spin-off, reboot, or remake. There also used to be 2-3 blockbusters that would come out every summer that would stir up a ton of excitement and everyone would want to check them out. Do those even still exist?

Not a fan of this, mainly for the reason you mentioned - Downey is Iron Man, and while he's a great actor and will no doubt do Dr. Doom justice I think audiences are going to have a hard time separating him from Iron Man. I also think this kind of reeks of desperation on Marvel's part. Since Avengers: Endgame their comic book movie franchise has become a hot mess. The last Spider Man movie was a hit, but most of their other movies underperformed, and the actor they wanted to be the next big bad villain - Kang - got himself convicted and was yanked. Yes, the current Deadpool/Wolverine movie is doing well, but overall the Marvel movie universe post-Endgame hasn't been stellar, imo. This sounds like Marvel trying to bring back the figures who made the first round of Marvel movies such a success - not just Downey, but the Russo guys who made Endgame - to salvage their next "phase" of comic book films.

Last edited:
I struggle to find good new movies these days. I don’t care at all for the comic book super hero movies (but where were all those movies when I was a kid?). I feel like nearly evey big movie now is a sequel, spin-off, reboot, or remake. There also used to be 2-3 blockbusters that would come out every summer that would stir up a ton of excitement and everyone would want to check them out. Do those even still exist?
I miss going to the moviehouse . COVID stopped me and I have not returned . Around Christmas , with a few grandkids -is still a wishfull potential for me

I miss going to the moviehouse . COVID stopped me and I have not returned . Around Christmas , with a few grandkids -is still a wishfull potential for me
I used to go to movies a lot, but now I rarely go. The only times I’ve been in the past few years are when there’s a movie that I want to watch in the theater with my kids. It’s no longer something I would do on a date night or with a group of friends or even alone (I used to hit up matinees on my own back in the day).

And I’m actually not a fan of the new versions of movie theaters with less seating and big recliners. I miss the old school theaters that would get packed in with a lot of people sitting close to one another. It gave you more of that shared experience that made going to the movies fun. Now I don’t feel that shared experience as much. I feel like I’m watching in the home theater of somebody’s house.

While it is nice to reserve seats— something that you couldn’t do back in the day— that has also changed things in a negative way. Now, with such limited seating in theaters, you have to plan to go to a movie a few days in advance if you’re going with your family or with a group (or sometimes even as a couple). There’s no more just deciding to take your family on a whim and buying tickets that day, or going with a group of friends on a whim. I miss that.

I used to go to movies a lot, but now I rarely go. The only times I’ve been in the past few years are when there’s a movie that I want to watch in the theater with my kids. It’s no longer something I would do on a date night or with a group of friends or even alone (I used to hit up matinees on my own back in the day).

And I’m actually not a fan of the new versions of movie theaters with less seating and big recliners. I miss the old school theaters that would get packed in with a lot of people sitting close to one another. It gave you more of that shared experience that made going to the movies fun. Now I don’t feel that shared experience as much. I feel like I’m watching in the home theater of somebody’s house.

While it is nice to reserve seats— something that you couldn’t do back in the day— that has also changed things in a negative way. Now, with such limited seating in theaters, you have to plan to go to a movie a few days in advance if you’re going with your family or with a group (or sometimes even as a couple). There’s no more just deciding to take your family on a whim and buying tickets that day, or going with a group of friends on a whim. I miss that.
I'm the opposite. One thing I hated about movies years ago was the small, uncomfortable, seats and having to get there early to get a good seat. I recall standing in live for over an hour to get good seats to a movie.
Now, I reserve them a few days before and show up as the credits start to roll. I also love the more comfortable seats.

My issue with theaters now is how fast the movies seem to move past the theater. The big hits will stay as long as they are pulling in the money, but there have been several movies, that didn't do as well, that I wanted to see in the theater. When I tried to purchase tickets, 3-4 weeks after opening weekend, they were no longer at a theater near me.

I guess the streaming and home theater market are the reason behind this, but I do see far less movies in theaters because of it.

I also liked the comic book movies for the most part, though the most recent have been disappointing.

I don't go to movies as much since the pandemic either. It's not been deliberate on my part but given the cost (a small bottle of water for instance is something like $6) I just don't go as much. The last movie I saw in a cinema was Oppenheimer last summer, and it was great. I now watch a lot of movies on streaming, like Napoleon. I do sometimes miss seeing a good movie on a big screen, but in truth it seems like they're just not as many good movies as there used to be. Lots of trashy sequels, remakes of older movies that are inferior to the older version, and lots of movies filled with special effects and not much else. I do miss the days of the big summer blockbuster movies when they were a special event.

Went and saw Twisters today. My husband doesn’t generally like going to the theater, so I usually go if he suggests it. Third time we’ve been to the theater in the last 12 months (Babie, Godzilla Year Zero and Twisters), which was about our pre-pandemic rate of in theater movie-going.

Anyway, it is sort of a throwback all-American popcorn flick. And they repurpose the oft-used heroine in a tight white T-shirt in the rain for the storm chaser guy in a way that elicited several gasps in our theater, so yeehaw for equal treatment I guess.

BTW, I know he is Glenn Powell but he will always be college baseball player Finnegan from Everybody Wants Some to me. He and Wyatt Russell seems like the potential break-out stars from that film to me at the time (Zoey Deutch was also great in that), but I admit I saw Powell more as a comedian than a do me or be me sex symbol break-out. Shows what I know.

IMG_2174.jpeg

Speaking of hundreds of millions, Deadpool & Wolverine is the biggest movie in years. Biggest R-rated opening ever. High audience and critic scores to boot.

I definitely want to see this. Loved his previous movies.

Went and saw Twisters today. My husband doesn’t generally like going to the theater, so I usually go if he suggests it. Third time we’ve been to the theater in the last 12 months (Babie, Godzilla Year Zero and Twisters), which was about our pre-pandemic rate of in theater movie-going.

Anyway, it is sort of a throwback all-American popcorn flick. And they repurpose the oft-used heroine in a tight white T-shirt in the rain for the storm chaser guy in a way that elicited several gasps in our theater, so yeehaw for equal treatment I guess.

BTW, I know he is Glenn Powell but he will always be college baseball player Finnegan from Everybody Wants Some to me. He and Wyatt Russell seems like the potential break-out stars from that film to me at the time (Zoey Deutch was also great in that), but I admit I saw Powell more as a comedian than a do me or be me sex symbol break-out. Shows what I know.

IMG_2174.jpeg
Admit it, nyc, you just went to see Glen Powell in a cowboy hat. No shame in it. Plenty of ladies of all ages admitted the same to me.

Last movie I saw was a couple of weeks ago, checked out The Iron Claw on HBO. It’s based on the true story of the Von Erich wrestling family, and a few friends who didn’t grow up as wrestling fans thought it was really good.

Thought it was ok, but I grew up in the 80’s watching old NWA. Tragic story but felt like they rushed through certain parts in the movie. Maybe I would have had a different perspective if I didn’t already know how it played out in real life.

Great shout, want to see it. That list is good but invalidated by only have Downton Abbey as honorable mention, and no Lupin. 😜

ETA: still going to the theater. Saw Dune II in 70 mm IMAX which was a little nuts. Not going as much as pre-pandemic but still 4-5 times in the last 6 months.

Back