Olympics & Politics - Boxing Controversy; France blocks 1,000+ people accused of spying from the Olympics. Rail lines attacked

• Thread starter Thread starter altmin
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies: 69
  • Views: 989

altmin

Esteemed Member
ZZL Supporter

Three days before the start of the 2024 Olympics, France's interior minister said about 1,000 people suspected of possibly meddling for a foreign power have been blocked from attending the Olympics — one of the security challenges that Paris is cracking down on in its goal to keep Games safe for athletes and fans.

About 1 million background checks have scrutinized Olympic volunteers, workers and others involved in the Games as well as those applying for passes to enter the most tightly controlled security zone in Paris — along the banks of the Seine — ahead of the opening ceremony on the river Friday.

The checks blocked about 5,000 people from attending, Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said Tuesday. Out of them, "there are 1,000 people whom we suspect of foreign interference — we can say spying," Darmanin said.

The Olympics is such a clusterfuck. Other than sports washing, what's the incentive? Cities/states consistently fall into debt, security is a nightmare, and locals often dislike the logistical nightmare.

The Olympics is such a clusterfuck. Other than sports washing, what's the incentive? Cities/states consistently fall into debt, security is a nightmare, and locals often dislike the logistical nightmare.
It’s the greatest sports event. It’s worth it.

It’s the greatest sports event. It’s worth it.
Well, as long as someone says "it's worth it" I suppose it's worth it.
Jerry Seinfeld Reaction GIF

No one forces these cities to bid, and no one says they need to spend so much. There are plenty of places with existing facilities. Construction of a one shot facility is a huge waste.

Eurostar is now encouraging passengers to postpone travel if possible amid details of fresh delays and cancellations to services between the UK and France.

According to Eurostar's website, two services from London St Pancras to Paris Gare du Nord which have been cancelled.

These include the services departing London at 15:31 and 19:01 are no longer running.

One Eurostar train from the Paris to London, the 12:12 service, has also been cancelled.

For those affected, you might be wondering what your next steps are.

Well, Eurostar lists a few options including exchanging your booking for a different date, cancelling and claiming an e-voucher or you can ask for a full refund.

Currently the majority of Eurostar trains between London and Paris are still running - but with delays of at least an hour.

EuroAirport evacuated due to 'safety reasons' as flights groundedpublished at 10:54
10:54​

Some news just coming to us from elsewhere on the continent - EuroAirport Basel–Mulhouse–Freiburg has temporary grounded flights due to "safety reasons".

The airport is located in France and is operated jointly by France and Switzerland.

A post on social media says the terminal has been evacuated and closed.

We have no indication whether this is linked to the rail disruption in France, but we will bring you more details as we get them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 11.08.25 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-07-26 at 11.08.25 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 2
If Russia was behind the rail line attack that would be trouble.

I could see Russia doing something to try to test NATO resolve leading up to the US election. A relatively minor but highly disruptive attack could put NATO in a bind. Trigger article 5 and the resolve from the NATO members would not be strong and it would almost guarantee a Trump win in November. If NATO does nothing they appear weak.

Just speculation on my part for discussion.

If Russia was behind the rail line attack that would be trouble.

I could see Russia doing something to try to test NATO resolve leading up to the US election. A relatively minor but highly disruptive attack could put NATO in a bind. Trigger article 5 and the resolve from the NATO members would not be strong and it would almost guarantee a Trump win in November. If NATO does nothing they appear weak.

Just speculation on my part for discussion.

I could see that going the exact opposite direction. If NATO has shown anything the last few years it is in the strength of their resolve.
I think something like a rail line attack that only caused disruptions and not loss of life or major property damage would test the resolve. Not many would want to start an all out war over that.

It's possible NATO could do a tit-for-tat type response. Or just France would do it.

Anyway, again, this is just discussion until we find out who was responsible. Making no claim or suggestion that it was Russia. I won't post any more about it since I don't want to derail the thread on a hypothetical.

Back